WJenness

Max Pass Thread - 2017 / 2018

2 minutes ago, LItoCOtoBOS said:

This may be the optimist in me (or weather underground) but I got my hopes up for some good Saturday skiing at Loon. They expect to run the gondola and have 9 trails open0bc10fc79cec2075c44bd79aaa3f8fb4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

I'm trending optimistic that good skiing will be had this weekend.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WJenness said:

Keith Carson is optimistic for Loon / SL / SR:

I saw that. I was surprised, but hopeful! Still waiting on more info on the Saturday - Sunday storm before I get my hopes up for the weekend though.

Need help making a decision. Do I go to Loon Saturday morning?

I have an obligation in the afternoon. I could get about 4 hours of skiing in during the morning though. That would just mean equal parts driving and skiing... (2 hrs up and 2 hrs back)

it would be my first day of the year and I am itching to go. 

Is this crazy? Are the conditions going to be worth it?

32 minutes ago, LItoCOtoBOS said:

I have an obligation in the afternoon. I could get about 4 hours of skiing in during the morning though. That would just mean equal parts driving and skiing... (2 hrs up and 2 hrs back)

I've done much worse before. I would do it. What conditions would he "worth it" for you? For me its skiing in November and my first days of the season, so any conditions are worth it.

Loon has put out a pretty good early season product in years past.

I would do it.

Unfortunately, my schedule is rather packed tomorrow, so no skiing for me this weekend. :-/

I expect Sunday won't be great conditions, so I'm just going to take a pass this weekend.

Current New England Max Pass Rundown:

MA:
Wachusett: 5 trails, 5 groomed, 4 lifts, 27 acres (I will update this once they update their snow report)
NH:
Loon: 9 trails, 9 groomed, 2 lifts, 65 acres, 6" new snow
Sunapee - CLOSED (Opening 11/22)
VT:
Killington: 11 trails, 8 groomed, 2 lifts, 36 acres, 4.5" new snow
Okemo: 10 trails, 10 groomed, 2 lifts, 95 acres, 1.5" new snow
Pico - CLOSED (Opening 12/9)
Stratton - CLOSED (Opening 11/22)
ME:
Sunday River: 8 trails, 8 groomed, 2 lifts, 41 acres, 1" new snow
Sugarloaf: 6 trails, 6 groomed, 1 lift, 52 acres, 1" new snow

I would take all the 'new snow' amounts with a grain of salt. I am sure almost everyone got significant rain. Though that Loon number is interesting.

Edited by WJenness

I would absolutely do it. If I were free tomorrow I would be there for sure. Keep in mind that it will be pretty crowded.

You should absolutely do it. 4 hours of skiing is probably plenty for a day 1 of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

1 hour ago, WJenness said:

Current New England Max Pass Rundown:
ME:
Sunday River: 8 trails, 8 groomed, 2 lifts, 41 acres, 1" new snow
Sugarloaf: 6 trails, 6 groomed, 1 lift, 52 acres, 1" new snow

Of the Max pass bunch, I think Sugarloaf has the best options, with Okemo a close second. Kings Landing and Hayburner off the SQ for Sugarloaf are a darn good pair with Tote Road for some variety. They should be moving onto Skyline soon, if not next. Wish it was a reasonable drive... but alas.

1 hour ago, Jully said:

Of the Max pass bunch, I think Sugarloaf has the best options, with Okemo a close second. Kings Landing and Hayburner off the SQ for Sugarloaf are a darn good pair with Tote Road for some variety. They should be moving onto Skyline soon, if not next. Wish it was a reasonable drive... but alas.

Agreed on all points.

Worth noting though that the Okemo snow report is teasing more openings:

"The addition of a new lift is expected this weekend and we are still on track for adding more terrain for the coming Thanksgiving holiday."

"As we near Thanksgiving weekend, we look forward to opening up to 10 new trails and three more lifts to our expanding list of terrain. Stay tuned as our snowmaking team continues to open up trails for all our enjoyment."

source: https://www.okemo.com/mountain-info/conditions-report/

I have to assume the new lift this weekend would probably be the Green Ridge Triple, as Sapphire is open to the base of it. It won't open up any more terrain than they have now, and the ride time is longer than the Sunburst Six, so I don't know how effective it will be at spreading the crowds out, but nice to have that option if it does get busy. Which, I have to assume they're expecting, because if the crowds are similar to what they were last Sunday, they'd have no reason to run that lift at all.

Interested to see what follows for trails heading into next weekend.

-w

Edited by WJenness
  • Like 1

Wachusett Stats updated above. 5 trails, 5 groomed, 4 lifts, 27 acres.

They are open until 7PM tonight, and then 8A-8P Sat/Sun.

They will be closed Monday-Thursday next week.

25 minutes ago, WJenness said:

Wachusett Stats updated above. 5 trails, 5 groomed, 4 lifts, 27 acres.

They are open until 7PM tonight, and then 8A-8P Sat/Sun.

They will be closed Monday-Thursday next week.

Will be there either tonight or tomorrow from noon to 5 pm or so.

Went to Loon on Saturday. Had a great day.

Thoughts:

Seems like the White Mountains got some good snow from Thursday's storm. Driving up 93 there was a noticeable change once you entered the White Mountains. I can only imagine that other mountains at higher elevation than Loon (Wildcat) had even better results.

The gondola got some significant traffic and the line grew steadily throughout the day until about 11 (lunch) and then thinned out a little bit. I cannot speak to what happened after lunch as I only stayed till noon. I personally used the single line and never waited more than 5 minutes. I alternated between taking the gondola and the east basin lift. Despite, being the slowest lift on the mountain I enjoyed being on a lift. Something about being outside and having a clear view of the mountains on your first day skiing that is really awesome.

Now to the actual skiing. There was only a few ways down the mountain and if felt very repetitive. However, I did not care. Turns are turns. I went into the day knowing full well there were only going to be mellow groomers and kept my expectations low.  For the most part it was groomed edge to edge. The snow was in great shape, minus one skied off section of upper picked rock. Trail of the day for me were the groomed rollers of lower picked rock. Nobody was on it  and conditions held great.

All in all, it was a fun first day and still made it back to Boston in time for Friendsgiving

Edited by LItoCOtoBOS
  • Like 2

Thanks for the Loon update.

I personally love the East Basin Double (even though it once tried to kill me).

I find it has a very 'remote' feel to it, and it's a very relaxing ride, even though it's a little long.

Mid-Winter, it's fun to watch folks attack Big Dipper and Triple Trouble from the chair. As those are two of the only trails that Loon almost never grooms, you generally only see a few people on the trail, and the ones you do see, know how to ski.

I look forward to getting out there sometime in December.

Hello, fellow MAX Passer here (add-on, home mountain Wachusett). Got plans to ski: Killington, Okemo and Stratton once each in December. 2 Days at Loon the week after Christmas and a trip to Crested Butte planned for end of January. Very excited about this pass!!  Looking forward to following this thread :)

• Like 1

Current New England Max Pass Resort Statuses:

MA:
Wachusett: 6 trails, 6 groomed, 4 lifts, 38 acres

NH:
Loon: 19 trails, 19 groomed, 2 lifts, 131 acres, 8 miles, 4" new snow
Sunapee: 8 trails, 8 groomed, 2 lifts, 34 acres

VT:
Killington: 37 trails, 32 groomed, 7 lifts, 145 acres, 13 miles
Pico: CLOSED
Okemo: 22 trails, 22 groomed, 3 lifts, 149 acres
Stratton: 26 trails, 26 groomed, 4 lifts, 117 acres

ME:
Sunday River: 18 trails, 18 groomed, 4 lifts, 105 acres, 7 miles
Sugarloaf: 14 trails, 13 groomed, 5 lifts, 98 acres, 9 miles

In terms of weekend expansion:
Loon: Loon Mountain Park (no features yet) and Lower Flume (19 new acres) join the list of open trails today, Springboard is closed today for park build, but sounds like it should be open tomorrow. Kancamangus Quad is planned to open tomorrow, with some additional terrain, though I don't know what or how much. Having the other lodge open with lift services will be huge for crowd management reasons.

Sunapee: The Sunbowl lift opens today, serving Upper, Middle & Lower Wingding (14 new acres), should spread the crowd out a good bit.

Killington: Superstar & Skylark and the Superstar Express Quad are now open to the public post World Cup. Ramshead Quad also scheduled to open today (Ramshead lodge to open tomorrow). A total of 7 additional trails (35 new acres) are open today. (Caper, Easy Street,  Skyelark - Upper & Lower, Superstar - Headwall, Middle & Lower are the ones I could come up with. This list may not be perfect). 

Okemo: No new terrain today, they are trying to get over to JG, but doesn't sound like it's on the cusp of happening yet.

Stratton: New trails today: Get My Drift, Lower Switchback, Snow Bowl Alley, Upper and Lower Drifter, and Upper Slalom Glade. Tyrolienne Park opens today with 7 features. (7 new trails, 17 new acres)  Mid-Mountain lodge open Saturday & Sunday as well.

Sunday River: The Chondola makes it's debut for the season today, Escapade and Southway have joined the list of open trails (12 new acres). Tomorrow the White Cap Quad (AKA Tempest lift) opens, also the new Spruce Peak Triple is scheduled to open at 9AM (Swag for the first few chairs, if you're in the area).
White Cap Quad means Road Runner should be open, and Spruce Peak Triple means at least Risky (don't know if AmEx is ready to go yet.)

Sugarloaf: Sluice and Upper Narrow Gauge opened yesterday, today 1 new trail today, unsure which one (8 new acres), 1 new lift (Sawduster). Skidder and The Birches look to be next to open, hopefully this weekend.

• Like 1

Current New England Max Pass Resort Statuses:

MA:
Wachusett: 6 trails, 6 groomed, 4 lifts, 38 acres

NH:
Loon: 19 trails, 19 groomed, 2 lifts, 131 acres, 8 miles, 4" new snow
Sunapee: 8 trails, 8 groomed, 2 lifts, 34 acres

VT:
Killington: 37 trails, 32 groomed, 7 lifts, 145 acres, 13 miles
Pico: CLOSED
Okemo: 22 trails, 22 groomed, 3 lifts, 149 acres
Stratton: 26 trails, 26 groomed, 4 lifts, 117 acres

ME:
Sunday River: 18 trails, 18 groomed, 4 lifts, 105 acres, 7 miles
Sugarloaf: 14 trails, 13 groomed, 5 lifts, 98 acres, 9 miles

In terms of weekend expansion:
Loon: Loon Mountain Park (no features yet) and Lower Flume (19 new acres) join the list of open trails today, Springboard is closed today for park build, but sounds like it should be open tomorrow. Kancamangus Quad is planned to open tomorrow, with some additional terrain, though I don't know what or how much. Having the other lodge open with lift services will be huge for crowd management reasons.

Sunapee: The Sunbowl lift opens today, serving Upper, Middle & Lower Wingding (14 new acres), should spread the crowd out a good bit.

Killington: Superstar & Skylark and the Superstar Express Quad are now open to the public post World Cup. Ramshead Quad also scheduled to open today (Ramshead lodge to open tomorrow). A total of 7 additional trails (35 new acres) are open today. (Caper, Easy Street,  Skyelark - Upper & Lower, Superstar - Headwall, Middle & Lower are the ones I could come up with. This list may not be perfect). 

Okemo: No new terrain today, they are trying to get over to JG, but doesn't sound like it's on the cusp of happening yet.

Stratton: New trails today: Get My Drift, Lower Switchback, Snow Bowl Alley, Upper and Lower Drifter, and Upper Slalom Glade. Tyrolienne Park opens today with 7 features. (7 new trails, 17 new acres)  Mid-Mountain lodge open Saturday & Sunday as well.

Sunday River: The Chondola makes it's debut for the season today, Escapade and Southway have joined the list of open trails (12 new acres). Tomorrow the White Cap Quad (AKA Tempest lift) opens, also the new Spruce Peak Triple is scheduled to open at 9AM (Swag for the first few chairs, if you're in the area).
White Cap Quad means Road Runner should be open, and Spruce Peak Triple means at least Risky (don't know if AmEx is ready to go yet.)

Sugarloaf: Sluice and Upper Narrow Gauge opened yesterday, today 1 new trail today, unsure which one (8 new acres), 1 new lift (Sawduster). Skidder and The Birches look to be next to open, hopefully this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some Demo Days that are coming to Max Pass resorts were listed in this morning's snow reports:

Wachusett: Saturday, December 9th
Vendors: Armada, Atomic, Head, K2, Burton, Fischer, Kastle, Nordica, Parlor, Ride, Rossignol, Salomon and Volkl

Sunapee: Saturday Dec 9th and Sunday, Dec 10th
Bob Skinners Ski and Sport putting this one on.

Loon: December 16th
http://www.loonmtn.com/experience/events/demo-day

EDIT:

Also saw in another thread, Killington has their Test Fest Monday & Tuesday 12/11 & 12/12:

http://www.killington.com/site/to-do/events-calendar/index.html/1562270322

Edited by WJenness
  • Like 2

Damn, was hoping the Killington Demo Day was on the weekend...

Loon one doesn't say it has snowboards, only mentions skis.

Wachusett on the 9th is an option I suppose... but WaWa is insane on Saturdays.

Love the MAX pass update @WJenness

Like I said early, day trip from Boston on Saturday. NH is 2 hrs and VT is 3 or 3+ hrs. It looks like NH for the day. Either Loon or donating some food and checking out Cannon.

9&10 Dec I will make my first journey up to VT this season. I was thinking Stratton. A buddy of mine is a member of the NYCDSC and they are having a council day there. He and I can both ski on the cheap.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WJenness said:

Some Demo Days that are coming to Max Pass resorts were listed in this morning's snow reports:

Wachusett: Saturday, December 9th
Vendors: Armada, Atomic, Head, K2, Burton, Fischer, Kastle, Nordica, Parlor, Ride, Rossignol, Salomon and Volkl

Sunapee: Saturday Dec 9th and Sunday, Dec 10th
Bob Skinners Ski and Sport putting this one on.

Loon: December 16th
http://www.loonmtn.com/experience/events/demo-day

EDIT:

Also saw in another thread, Killington has their Test Fest Monday & Tuesday 12/11 & 12/12:

http://www.killington.com/site/to-do/events-calendar/index.html/1562270322

Sugarloaf: Saturday, December 9th

Vendors: Volkl, Atomic, Nordica, Fisher, K2, Salomon, Rossignol, Blizzard, Burton, DPS, Parlor, Stokli

http://sugarloaf.com/activities-and-nightlife/events/demo-day-12917

• Like 1