xwhaler

Attitash 17-18 Season Thread

There are a number of Peaks passholders on here so figured I would start a thread.
Per their snow report Attitash is scheduled to open Saturday 12/9 for the season. Attitash was my home mtn for 9 yrs when we owned a condo in the valley but I haven't skied it since 2007.

It's not the most compelling destination in the east by any means but I look forward to skiing there this yr with my young boys.

36 minutes ago, xwhaler said:

There are a number of Peaks passholders on here so figured I would start a thread.
Per their snow report Attitash is scheduled to open Saturday 12/9 for the season. Attitash was my home mtn for 9 yrs when we owned a condo in the valley but I haven't skied it since 2007.

It's not the most compelling destination in the east by any means but I look forward to skiing there this yr with my young boys.

Will definitely be at Attitash a few days this year too. Hadn't been since like 2004 until last year when I got 2 days in there. 

I'm thinking its great for groomer days in January and in the springtime when the ungroomed at Wildcat is boilerplate after a refreeze and Attitash is nice corn snow.

Just now, Jully said:

Will definitely be at Attitash a few days this year too. Hadn't been since like 2004 until last year when I got 2 days in there. 

I'm thinking its great for groomer days in January and in the springtime when the ungroomed at Wildcat is boilerplate after a refreeze and Attitash is nice corn snow.

Absolutely as well as those bitter cold/windy days the lower elevation can help vs Wildcat.

Attitash on its own actually has some really nice terrain...some of the steepest groomers in the state can be found there. They have limited glades but the Bear Peak side with the HSQ is a good spot to spend some laps.

12 minutes ago, xwhaler said:

Absolutely as well as those bitter cold/windy days the lower elevation can help vs Wildcat.

Attitash on its own actually has some really nice terrain...some of the steepest groomers in the state can be found there. They have limited glades but the Bear Peak side with the HSQ is a good spot to spend some laps.

I always thought their terrain was pretty mellow until I started spending time on these boards and heard from others that the terrain was actually decently steep and compelling. I was pleasantly surprised last year and will definitely be returning when groomers are all that's available anywhere.

I think I prefer the Attitash side trails (though not with that triple), but the trees I found on Bear Peak were not bad at all and hardly touched at all, it seemed haha.

7 minutes ago, Jully said:

I always thought their terrain was pretty mellow until I started spending time on these boards and heard from others that the terrain was actually decently steep and compelling. I was pleasantly surprised last year and will definitely be returning when groomers are all that's available anywhere.

I think I prefer the Attitash side trails (though not with that triple), but the trees I found on Bear Peak were not bad at all and hardly touched at all, it seemed haha.

Sounds like you have a solid understanding. Attitash is one of the most misunderstood mountains. It is a reputation as a family mountain which is really misplaced.

2 times when I tried to go to Wildcat last year I had to ski Attitash because Wildcat was closed. One time for a power issue and another time because it was "too cold". I will be staying at Attitash a few times this year so I may actually ski there on purpose this year. :)

32 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Sounds like you have a solid understanding. Attitash is one of the most misunderstood mountains. It is a reputation as a family mountain which is really misplaced.

Definitely seems misplaced! 

You guys are making me want to try it again.  I used to ski there quite a bit when I was a beginner and lower intermediate in the mid-late 80's.  When I got even slightly more advanced I started to find it really boring. That was almost 30 years ago.  Maybe it's changed.  I know I have! 

4 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

You guys are making me want to try it again.  I used to ski there quite a bit when I was a beginner and lower intermediate in the mid-late 80's.  When I got even slightly more advanced I started to find it really boring. That was almost 30 years ago.  Maybe it's changed.  I know I have! 

You think the Zoomer bar is great? You've cold plenty of time for a beer on the triple.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, xwhaler said:

Blowing on both Attitash and Bear Peak to start...do they typically open off the top on both for opening wknd?

Yes, if the weather allows. Illusion is the most likely to open. Followed by Northwest Passage.

1 minute ago, Weatherman said:

Yes, if the weather allows. Illusion is the most likely to open. Followed by Northwest Passage.

Interesting...for an operator who has been generally tight with their cash operating 2 base lodges (and all the associated costs) for opening wknd seems ambitious/bit surprising.

Will take it though....Attitash does have a good snow making system and can get a lot open quickly once they decide to use it

They can open Illusion in 4 days if the really want to , they did that the first year Peaks owned it , 11/18/2007 ' since then little to no effort until 2 weeks before Christmas, That schedule has burned them a few times in recent years. I really can't waste to much more time of my life sitting on a chair for 17 minutes so it will be only on a special get together with friends that I will go there. I wish John would take AMA like Brian at Wildcat, but I am sure after the first 1000 of "WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO REPLACE THE TRIPLE" are asked  he will lose interest in doing that. PS. I really enjoy the terrain there as I skied there a lot in the sixty's and seventies, great memoirs

Yep

Replace the triple and groom significantly less terrain and Attitash would really shine. Even during a good snow year like last year, they still groomed way too much. Very underrated terrain for its pitch and character

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deadheadskier said:

Yep

Replace the triple and groom significantly less terrain and Attitash would really shine. Even during a good snow year like last year, they still groomed way too much. Very underrated terrain for its pitch and character

I'm not sure what the secret to making money at Attitash is. The terrain definitely lends itself to be an advanced skier's mountain, but its location caters to families. I tries so hard to be a family mountain, but it would not be my first choice with kids.

To be honest, it's probably not financially feasible to see Attitash rebrand themselves to advanced skiers. And it certainly won't pay for the lift.

27 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

I'm not sure what the secret to making money at Attitash is. The terrain definitely lends itself to be an advanced skier's mountain, but its location caters to families. I tries so hard to be a family mountain, but it would not be my first choice with kids.

To be honest, it's probably not financially feasible to see Attitash rebrand themselves to advanced skiers. And it certainly won't pay for the lift.

It makes decent money, doesn't it? The summer operation is obviously essential.

I would think the lift would be feasible if they can widen Northwest Passage and Saco. Another intermediate trail off the summit wouldn't hurt either, but I doubt they can do much, if anything, up there on forest service land...

Not sure if there is a way to make Bear Peak any more family friendly.

2 hours ago, Weatherman said:

What about families where the kids are already comfortable on the blues, which is certainly possible by age 6 if they start really young?  Being able to head over to Wildcat on good days, but ski at Attitash other days would make sense to me.

18 minutes ago, MarzNC said:

What about families where the kids are already comfortable on the blues, which is certainly possible by age 6 if they start really young?  Being able to head over to Wildcat on good days, but ski at Attitash other days would make sense to me.

Having steeper terrain doesn't stop families from coming. A few years ago they systematically reclassified their trails to lower the difficulty ratings. The result is that trails like Illusion were made blues and not attract lots of intermediates who struggle.

I actually consider Attitash to be a sleeper on a powder day. They have lots of good terrain and decent glades. And you average Attitash skier is not going looking for that terrain and powder.

1 hour ago, Infinite Dreams said:

I disagree with Tash not being a family friendly mountain. My wife who is a very green skier loves the doubles and my little ones rip around he rest of the place. Bear definitely needs better beginner terrain.

Its not, NOT family friendly, but it doesn't lend itself to being family friendly as easily as say, Bretton Woods would, from a terrain perspective. Plus those doubles are pretty old. 

18 hours ago, Jully said:

Its not, NOT family friendly, but it doesn't lend itself to being family friendly as easily as say, Bretton Woods would, from a terrain perspective. Plus those doubles are pretty old. 

Those doubles makes the triple look fast. Painfully slow. And I'd actually prefer to bring a beginner over to Bear Peak if the Kachina Triple is running. Moonbeam and Reckoning are solid options with little to no traffic.

On 11/16/2017 at 10:15 AM, xwhaler said:

I used to ski at Attitash every weekend.  Will be returning this season, as I bought the Peak Pass (for Wildcat, really).  Will head to Attitash on occasion, maybe.  Maybe will avoid the slow triple; Bear Peak is the better side.

Edited by LiquidFeet

I used to ski at Attitash every weekend.  Will be returning this season, as I bought the Peak Pass (for Wildcat, really).  Will head to Attitash on occasion, maybe.  Maybe will avoid the slow triple; Bear Peak is the better side.
But you're still at Cannon too right? Think I saw you Sunday.