Sign in to follow this  
cdskier

Sugarbush 17-18 Season Thread

I supposed I may as well start a Sugarbush thread since they open for the season today for passholders. I know a lot of the SB people are still on AZ and not sure how many made it over to this forum, but in case anyone wants SB info, let's put it here.

I don't plan on starting my season at SB until early December. Too much going on for me usually this time of year to justify the 5 hour drive for only a handful of trails.

Edited by cdskier
  • Thanks 1

I will start off by saying I was impressed that they took advantage of the cold temps down low to be able to have the Snowball/Spring Fling route ready for opening day. Those are wide trails and take a decent amount of snow to cover. Hopefully they can finish the upper mountain trails over the next couple nights/days and add them in sometime this weekend.

Thank you Cdskier - I was hoping someone would start a sugarbush thread

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

I haven't been yet but heard it was fast and firm this weekend (but fun). Pretty much what you would expect I suppose.

Sugarbush is taking an odd approach to snowmaking this year. Last night they lit up Stein's Run (I can't remember them making snow on that trail so early before).

12 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

Going after Stein's makes me think there is another issue with Super Bravo. 

I could believe that actually, usually Lower Jester becomes before Snowball. Though they always had Ripcord open pretty early and I guess they should stay low meanwhile they can. But also there is a snowmobile at Bravo on the cam, Hint hint. 

Edited by Benski

56 minutes ago, Benski said:

I could believe that actually, usually Lower Jester becomes before Snowball. Though they always had Ripcord open pretty early and I guess they should stay low meanwhile they can. But also there is a snowmobile at Bravo on the cam, Hint hint. 

Snowball/Spring Fling before Lower Jester makes a lot of sense actually if you know you have good temps down low and want a trail open that can handle a good volume of people. Snowball/Spring Fling is far more appealing than Lower Jester (and can handle much more traffic).

That said...Steins before even having top to bottom skiing is quite strange. Rumors sure are flying about various possible reasons. An official word to stop the rumors would be nice.

Sugarbush is usually pretty good with communication about lift issues, aren't they? If there was an issue with Super Bravo or Heaven's Gate, I would have thought there was a problem they would have said something by now. Maybe the MRV forum being down is really hurting the communication department though... Forums are a nice way to inform select audiences while not advertising to less educated masses who might take it the wrong way.

Also, is there really no other way to HG beyond Super Bravo?

Edited by Jully

4 minutes ago, Jully said:

Sugarbush is usually pretty good with communication about lift issues, aren't they? If there was an issue with Super Bravo or Heaven's Gate, I would have thought there was a problem they would have said something by now. Maybe the MRV forum being down is really hurting the communication department though... Forums are a nice way to inform select audiences while not advertising to less educated masses who might take it the wrong way.

Also, is there really no other way to HG beyond Super Bravo?

Win himself posted on the MRV forum. That was where most of our "inside" info came from on problems. He was usually quite direct and would tell you if there was an issue. But like you mention, it was communication via a forum to a more select audience and not to the general public on their Snow Report or something like that.

There are a couple other ways to get to HG other than Super Bravo...but they require natural snow. Reverse Traverse from the top of the VH chair will take you across to Heaven's Gate traverse...but this route is mostly dependent on all natural snow. Once Castlelrock and Gate House are open you can also take Gate House up and ski down Castlerock Connection and then go up the CR lift and ski down Castlerock Run to Bailout that will dump you onto Lower Ripcord to get to HG (simple...right? :) ).

4 hours ago, Jully said:

Haha, so Super Bravo is pretty necessary. Sucks that so much is dependent on natural snow.

Yes, it is absolutely one of the single most important lifts that SB has. The other routes being dependent on natural snow isn't a huge issue other than early season. It wouldn't be worth even thinking about putting snowmaking on Reverse Traverse for the minimal amount of times you would "need" it before it has enough natural snow. It might even be too narrow to make snow on anyway.

34 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

Yup. Heaven's Gate being down would be a big disappointment, Super Bravo being down would be a disaster. 

Although I did have a nice midweek day a few years ago where SB was down first thing in the morning but VH and HG were running. Took VH to Reverse Traverse to HG Traverse and then had the HG area practically to ourselves for a couple hours before more people made it over. There was a bit of fresh snow that day too so HG with no one around was pretty nice. On a weekend it would be a disaster for sure though as VH can't replace the SB capacity.

This will be our first year at sugarbush as our Home mountain after Bretton Woods last year and cannon two years ago. Being the pessimistic person i tend to be, I’m bracing myself for a less than stellar winter. Given that sugarbush doesn’t necessarily excel at snowmaking, what would a mild/low precipitation winter mean for sugarbush? For example, how bad or not so bad was sugarbush during 2015-2016?

It wasn't too bad 2015-2016. They still get snow even in crap winters and the terrain has a lot of character. And if you do get bored MRG is a 10 minute ride.

Edited by Flying Yeti
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

It wasn't too bad 2015-2016. They still get snow even in crap winters and the terrain has a lot of character.

Well said...outside of far northern VT (Smuggs/Stowe/Jay) and the high peaks of Western ME (Saddleback, Sugarloaf) Sugarbush is in the best spot for quality and qty of snow in New England. 
And yes, the terrain is awesome for all levels

• Like 2

The top finally opens tomorrow...weather permitting!

If the winds hold off, we plan to expand our offerings to include Organgrinder, Jester, Allyn's Traverse, Valley House Traverse, and Downspout with Super Bravo and Heaven's Gate running 9:00 AM - 3:45 PM. Valley House will run 9:00 - 3:45 PM. Note there will be no route to the base from Heaven's Gate. The route to the bottom is Jester, Allyn's Traverse, Valley House Traverse, Snowball, Spring Fling.

43 minutes ago, Los said:

This will be our first year at sugarbush as our Home mountain after Bretton Woods last year and cannon two years ago. Being the pessimistic person i tend to be, I’m bracing myself for a less than stellar winter. Given that sugarbush doesn’t necessarily excel at snowmaking, what would a mild/low precipitation winter mean for sugarbush? For example, how bad or not so bad was sugarbush during 2015-2016?

they open natural snow trails quickly so they tend to have the most open once it starts snowing. The only downside is you can only poach right after the first storm. 

Bush is one of those places I'm a little cautious about poaching because they are so liberal with opening trails. It's not like K or many other places. If it is closed, there is generally a damn good reason. The patrol there do a great job with openings. I might jump the starting gun to hike to Castlerock but that is about it. 

1 minute ago, Flying Yeti said:

Bush is one of those places I'm a little cautious about poaching because they are so liberal with opening trails. It's not like K or many other places. If it is closed, there is generally a damn good reason. The patrol there do a great job with openings. I might jump the starting gun to hike to Castlerock but that is about it. 

Word. The trail policy is one of the reason I like the place.

27 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

It wasn't too bad 2015-2016. They still get snow even in crap winters and the terrain has a lot of character.

I'd pretty much go with this response. It was an ok year. There were some good days and some average days and some not so good days. If you're into woods, that wasn't a great year for them at all (130" total snowfall has that effect). Otherwise most people made the best of it. It was disappointing, but not really any worse than most other resorts.

6 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

110% agree. If it isn't open...chances are very good that there's a reason for it and I wouldn't take a chance on skiing it. If it is remotely skiable, patrol will drop the ropes.