With all the discussion about how impressive the snow making was this fall, no one opened a thread. I know Snow is sort-of the redheaded step child of Peaks on most forums I really enjoy skiing there with the family. It is closer than Wildcat/Attitash for day trips for me definitely an easier ride. Hope to make first turns of the season there this week. 

Feel free to discuss...

Few pics from last April 1st 

large.IMG_0582.JPG.1963c0136d2f8983f6e25625a208dc27.JPGlarge.IMG_0581.JPG.ee6ea8018001bafee6f89f07b1bc426a.JPGlarge.IMG_0580.JPG.5173c29ef301b8b4b19eb4c416811864.JPG

Today was wild and the snow looked ugly, but it actually skied really well and I had a fun morning.

In three consecutive runs, I skied in pouring rain, driving sleet, and then snow. 

The wind was serious business, slowing down the Bluebird chair and hitting the lift regularly with some serious gusts. I have to admit to being a bit skeered at times.  I just kept imagining the chairs pulling the cable off the sheaves. 

The big rain squall around 9am drove big ol' branches onto the trail in places, so I got to do my first "tree" skiing:

5a122fe71ef02_MtSnow2.thumb.jpg.40a19dec9487b626a5b4dd63f6f8c52b.jpg

Conditions on Little John were grim, but the other trails were fine--decent coverage all things considered, and nice soft snow. 

5a12305098d56_MtSnow1.thumb.jpg.86a5d448dcf6c5169526e5af79f5caad.jpg

But the chair was hella scary after about 10am.

5a12305fa0c2a_MtSnow3.thumb.jpg.92ef4c184f488ee62caf9cbc5a2ccbc8.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Infinite Dreams said:

With all the discussion about how impressive the snow making was this fall, no one opened a thread. I know Snow is sort-of the redheaded step child of Peaks on most forums I really enjoy skiing there with the family. It is closer than Wildcat/Attitash for day trips for me definitely an easier ride. Hope to make first turns of the season there this week. 

Feel free to discuss...

Few pics from last April 1st 

Nonsense, I think after the recent upgrades to Mount Snow; Hunter Mountain takes the cake for the redheaded step child of the Northeastern Peaks until their expansion. Either way it's amazing how much their snowmaking has seemed to improve from its sorry state last year and I hope they keep it up. I'm sure I'll end up there at least once this year. 

8 minutes ago, MimersG said:

Nonsense, I think after the recent upgrades to Mount Snow; Hunter Mountain takes the cake for the redheaded step child of the Northeastern Peaks until their expansion. Either way it's amazing how much their snowmaking has seemed to improve from its sorry state last year and I hope they keep it up. I'm sure I'll end up there at least once this year. 

Well at least they made snow at Hunter. Attitash and Crotched has seen none

• Like 1

I am impressed with the early terrain rollout of Mount Snow, and looking forward to see if it continues.

I grabbed a lift ticket for Founders Day (Dec. 12th). If anyone here is planning on going, let me know, it would be nice to meet up with some folks.

I've never skied Mount Snow before, so I'm looking forward to checking out a new place.

-w

Edited by WJenness

I almost went to Mt Snow on Monday, but the likelihood of morning wind holds made me change my mind.  Drove to Killington instead.  Hadn't been to either before.

Once more of the mountain gets open, is there usually some advanced terrain open at Mt Snow when there are wind holds to summit lifts?

53 minutes ago, MarzNC said:

I almost went to Mt Snow on Monday, but the likelihood of morning wind holds made me change my mind.  Drove to Killington instead.  Hadn't been to either before.

Once more of the mountain gets open, is there usually some advanced terrain open at Mt Snow when there are wind holds to summit lifts?

Generally no, but with the right combination of ice and bad skiers any trail can be advanced. 

• Haha 2

@MarzNC the North Face is the only advanced terrain at Mount Snow.

I skied 22,500 vertical feet there today.  Most of that on Long John.  Cascade in the morning was very slick the lower you got on the mountain.  The last few hundred vertical feet were not edgeable at all.  Good place to develop speed control through turn shape as you couldn't slow down any other way.

Long John was terrific.  Easy trail, but very long and a lot of fun.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SkiMangoJazz said:

@MarzNC the North Face is the only advanced terrain at Mount Snow.

I skied 22,500 vertical feet there today.  Most of that on Long John.  Cascade in the morning was very slick the lower you got on the mountain.  The last few hundred vertical feet were not edgeable at all.  Good place to develop speed control through turn shape as you couldn't slow down any other way.

Long John was terrific.  Easy trail, but very long and a lot of fun.

I had to be back in Waltham by 2:00 today, so making the drive wasn't quite worth it.  Did think about it though since you were going to be there.

Read up about Mount Snow and was interested to learn how long it's been around.  Definitely seems to be evolving.

It's a great mountain.  Skis big.  Not steep, but lots of acreage.  Some good glades too (not yet of course.)  The North Face is fairly steep and has a couple of long bump runs. There is also one very steep bump run that is very, very challenging.  Ripcord.  Decent amount of variety, great midweek of course as it gets very crowded on weekends.

For weekends in New England nothing beats my home mountain, Berkshire East.  Some very steep trails, and a decent amount of variety.  Only 1,000 vertical feet, but never a lift line, or if there is one it might be a couple of minutes tops.  Great skiers there too.  No terrain park, or when they do have one, it's pretty basic, so it doesn't attract a lot of people who are looking for that.  Decent race program, and lots of great racers come from there because of the pitch.

Also some very good tree skiing and patrollers who live for that, so they clear out the brush in the summer. 

Oh wait this is a Mount Snow thread.  Well as so many people drive right past the B-East on their way up to stand on line at Mount Snow on the weekends, it's worth mentioning here!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SkiMangoJazz said:

For weekends in New England nothing beats my home mountain, Berkshire East.  Some very steep trails, and a decent amount of variety.  Only 1,000 vertical feet, but never a lift line, or if there is one it might be a couple of minutes tops.  Great skiers there too.  No terrain park, or when they do have one, it's pretty basic, so it doesn't attract a lot of people who are looking for that.  Decent race program, and lots of great racers come from there because of the pitch.

So why haven't you started a Berkshire East 2017-18 thread? :)

2 hours ago, SkiMangoJazz said:

It's a great mountain.  Skis big.  Not steep, but lots of acreage.  Some good glades too (not yet of course.)  The North Face is fairly steep and has a couple of long bump runs. There is also one very steep bump run that is very, very challenging.  Ripcord.  Decent amount of variety, great midweek of course as it gets very crowded on weekends.

I found a very detailed overview about Mount Snow that made it sound a lot more interesting than what I'd read before.  Have been to enough different places, large and small, over the last 10 years that I know ultimately there is no substitute for first hand experience.  Trail maps never really make complete sense to me until after I've ridden a couple of lifts and skied a few trails, even if it's during early season when only a few trails are open.

http://www.gondyline.com/mount-snow.php

6 minutes ago, SkiBearded! said:

Skied Mount Snow yesterday. Despite the crappy weather it was a fun time.

I was there, too! I stayed on LJ and Canyon, etc. I almost did Freefall, but the fog and sketchy surface skeered me off. I was amazed at the low # of people there. Sure, it rained for 2 hours but it wasn't that cold, the snow held up just fine, and wet dries. Really fun day. 

2 hours ago, Jully said:

10 minutes is huge!

Seriously. If the lift lines hit 10 minutes I just go drink. Then again, if the lift line is non-existent sometimes I still go drink.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Seriously. If the lift lines hit 10 minutes I just go drink. Then again, if the lift line is non-existent sometimes I still go drink.

Whoa. Was at Okemo Fri. and there were zero lines. Did uninterrupted laps from 8 to 2. Would have kept going but my legs weren't having it. 

Whoa. Was at Okemo Fri. and there were zero lines. Did uninterrupted laps from 8 to 2. Would have kept going but my legs weren't having it. 

I wonder if that speaks to Peaks pass sales? If so, good for Peaks. However, one of the benefits of early season skiing IMO is the lack of lift lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

3 hours ago, BumpOut said:

I wonder if that speaks to Peaks pass sales? If so, good for Peaks. However, one of the benefits of early season skiing IMO is the lack of lift lines.

Yeah, I burned a MAX pass day to ski Okemo, which I hesitated to do. Turned out to be very worth it, though. 

Yeah, I burned a MAX pass day to ski Okemo, which I hesitated to do. Turned out to be very worth it, though. 

It sounds like a good call to me. Use em’ or lose em’. Okemo is another good early season play. I may use ski vt vouchers at both Mt. Snow and Okemo since they both have a strong early season game. At this point it’s all trail skiing everywhere anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app
  • Like 1