Weatherman

Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals

17 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Safety sure.  But I think you'd be hard pressed to argue that a lack of backup cameras and tire pressure sensors truly risk other people's lives.  In fact the federal data shows that backup cameras haven't really made much difference.  They are more of a convenience  for parking than a safety precaution. The only time I use mine is to line up my trailer hitch.  For all other things I have better visibility in my mirrors. 

271 people were killed in the US alone as a result of the TPMS causing crisis with Ford / Firestone. I have no idea how many of those were in the vehicles that had exploding tires, and how many were collateral damage caused by the out of control vehicle.

I just read the backup camera stats. Accident rates down 8%, fatalities down 31% -- but the fatality numbers are highly variable so error bars are large.

3 minutes ago, Puck it said:

And tire pressure crap is annoying.  It is always my spare going off.

This also is frivolous.  My wife's vehicle also has run-flat tires, so in that instance the pressure monitoring is important.  But with regular tires, a reasonable person can SEE if a tire is getting low...

4 minutes ago, BumpOut said:

This also is frivolous.  My wife's vehicle also has run-flat tires, so in that instance the pressure monitoring is important.  But with regular tires, a reasonable person can SEE if a tire is getting low...

My vehicle is an idiot light so I cant tell which one is out of range

16 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

271 people were killed in the US alone as a result of the TPMS causing crisis with Ford / Firestone.

That had nothing to do with TPMS.  It had to do with treads flying off of tires partly caused by Ford recommending a too low tire pressure.  It ended up RESULTING in the law for TPMS.  But TPMS wouldn't have prevented the problem because the sensor would have shown that the pressure was in the recommended range.  

Here's black friday deal for you.....  https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Digital-Inflator-Vehicles-Dtemple/dp/B075KHG296

23 minutes ago, Puck it said:

My vehicle is an idiot light so I cant tell which one is out of range

Same as mine ! I dont have TPSM sensors in my winter wheels, so when I park inside the garage the car links back up to my summer tires.

I dont get any notification that ALL MY Tires are missing for  20 miles, thats when the idiot lights starts to flash.......If I have a low tire I dont see much benefit in it telling me 20 miles late !!!!

On 11/28/2017 at 10:00 AM, Weatherman said:

If you are allowed not to purchase the safety equipment, you are unnecessarily risking my family's lives.

Now that the admin is taking us off-topic, I'd like to further derail.

I own a 1987 car.  I bought it for $2200.  I just put new snow tires on it.  Was TPMS required?  Nope, because my old car doesn't care. 

Do I care about your family when I am buying a car?  Like many in this country, I buy what's available on the market that will get where I need to go as safe and reliably as possible for the dollars I have available to me.  The problem with some statements that invoke your family and imply I am malicious or careless buy buying a used car is that it looks like weatherman has a blind spot for economic pressure.  It might be worth considering.

• Thanks 1