Sign in to follow this  
Weatherman

December 2017 weather discussion

1 hour ago, Weatherman said:

It's happening. Winter arrives next week.

I really hope we don't get a bunch of snow chasers at Jay this weekend, the triple can't take it...

The weather beginning Wednesday looks promising for some extended snowmaking. Am I a fool to think that the Mighty Poconos might be largely open by the weekend?

Blue (in PA) managed to open last weekend with basically one trail, but they've been firing the guns literally whenever they can despite repeated inversions that keep them from making snow at the ridge top--I think they have a partially-automated system or something. I'm a weather noob, just wondering if I should get my hopes up for some actual trail options this weekend.  

5a242a6d5fd23_WeatherDec3.png.653ba4309eb85b852a3456e3919d2555.png

Sure, it's going to be cold. But the coldest air will stay off to our west, and nothing is phasing correctly for significant snow. At least the snowmakers will be working overtime.

Yeah, it looks like down here the snowmaking will still be limited to a few hours overnight, so it won't be quite the all-out gun show I was hoping for. 

(Real snow!? Hunny, I live in Pennsylvania. I'm not even thinking about real snow! Faux-sneaux and not getting a Bud Light can dropped on my head from the chairlift is an above-average day in paradise over here.)  :D

• Like 1

On 11/29/2017 at 10:05 PM, MimersG said:

I really hope we don't get a bunch of snow chasers at Jay this weekend, the triple can't take it...

Does Jay only have the Jet Triple open for lifts?

It looks like 5-10 mph winds next week with gusts into the 20s, so the Tram probably wouldn't be running anyways.

14 minutes ago, Jcb890 said:

It looks like 5-10 mph winds next week with gusts into the 20s, so the Tram probably wouldn't be running anyways.

Currently: Jet Triple, Taxi Quad and Stateside Moving Carpet.

Tramside Base Area opening Saturday. Metro Quad coming online this weekend. Green Mountain Flyer 'sometime next week'.

4 hours ago, Jcb890 said:

5-10MPH with gusts into the 20s is pretty mild for Jay. Tram can run in that easily (wind direction also a factor, head on wind isn't as much of an issue as side wind) but it won't open until after they get the Freezer online any ways. Tram is usually the last lift to debut for the season after all other lifts are online.

2 minutes ago, thesnowway said:

5-10MPH with gusts into the 20s is pretty mild for Jay. Tram can run in that easily (wind direction also a factor, head on wind isn't as much of an issue as side wind) but it won't open until after they get the Freezer online any ways. Tram is usually the last lift to debut for the season after all other lifts are online.

The Freezer is slated to get online just in time next week for the low teen high single digit highs so it can live up to its namesake right off the bat

Model guidance has decided to settle down over the last 24 hours, and this weekend's snow has come onshore a bit. It's looking like a good time, but still nothing too big in ski country until next week.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MimersG said:

The Freezer is slated to get online just in time next week for the low teen high single digit highs so it can live up to its namesake right off the bat

This weekend should be epic. Still only the Jet open with new snow? Early season at Jay with only the Jet open is some of the best skiing of the season...

5 hours ago, thesnowway said:

This weekend should be epic. Still only the Jet open with new snow? Early season at Jay with only the Jet open is some of the best skiing of the season...

The Jet Taxi  Stateside magic carpet  Metro and possibly the Tramside magic carpet for this weekend. Freezer a maybe but probably not till midweek

Tuesday night to Thursday is looking interesting. A couple models showing a low spinning in Quebec just slamming moisture into the spine.  Planning on somewhere north of Killington for Thursday. 

8 minutes ago, Smellytele said:

Hopefully the weather reports I am seeing for Saturday 12/23 start trending toward the cold side.

I wouldn't count on it. At this point Saturday looks like a washout.

9 minutes ago, Smellytele said:

I can't ski that day anyway but thinking of the days after...

It's going to ruin another freaking Christmas week, isn't it???!!!

Looks like I'm done until after the new year.

I was hoping to maybe sneak out for a bit on Saturday, but with the forecast, not looking good.

Christmas week looks to be an icy zoo at this point. I'll be back after the calendar says 2018.

-w

18 minutes ago, Smellytele said:

I don't really ski much on Christmas week anyway but yes it may.

Do you guys think it'll ruin conditions for the end of Christmas week still?  That seems like a lot of time to recover by making snow and grooming.

Saturday could be a real tough day and Sunday might not be worth it if it does rain and everything is re-frozen.

50 minutes ago, Jcb890 said:

Do you guys think it'll ruin conditions for the end of Christmas week still?  That seems like a lot of time to recover by making snow and grooming.

Saturday could be a real tough day and Sunday might not be worth it if it does rain and everything is re-frozen.

It'll certainly be a lot worse than if it didn't get to be 50 degrees and rainy! 

I suspect we will get back to the conditions we had before all the snow fell. Resurfaced man made with dense east coast hardpack underneath. Any natural trails will be in sad shape.