Sign in to follow this  
Cannonballer

Cannon 11/30.

Getting a little late in the evening for a full trip report. But I thought this pic was funny and kinda tells the story. Zoomer opened today, but it shouldn't have. I was the first person on the chair for the season... and also the second person. Gary's and Rocket were open and were nothing but deadly frozen snowmaking whales. I was the only idiot to ski them. The rest of the mountain was fast windblown corduroy. I only had a few hours available before work, and that's all my face could have taken anyway on the hurricane force lift rides.

Also funny in this pic is my choice of ski. Big Stix 110s @187cm were not the typical choice for these conditions. It wasn't an accident though.@Weatherman gave me these skis earlier in the season and I wanted to check them out. I figured it would be good to understand how they perform before I really wanted to get them on a good day. They turned out to be a blast on the hard pack. A little bit slow edge-to-edge but they have enough camber and are stiff enough to hold an edge on the hard pack and suck up the chatter. I think they will be fantastic in powder and crud. In hindsight I wish I had mounted them a little further forward. More tail would probably be welcome in pow/chow conditions.

The Zoomer area (and whole Mtn) should be looking great by the weekend.

7777a52189d57bf214ca019319735663.jpg

34 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Getting a little late in the evening for a full trip report. But I thought this pic was funny and kinda tells the story. Zoomer opened today, but it shouldn't have. I was the first person on the chair for the season... and also the second person. Gary's and Rocket were open and were nothing but deadly frozen snowmaking whales. I was the only idiot to ski them. The rest of the mountain was fast windblown corduroy. I only had a few hours available before work, and that's all my face could have taken anyway on the hurricane force lift rides.

Also funny in this pic is my choice of ski. Big Stix 110s @187cm were not the typical choice for these conditions. It wasn't an accident though.@Weatherman gave me these skis earlier in the season and I wanted to check them out. I figured it would be good to understand how they perform before I really wanted to get them on a good day. They turned out to be a blast on the hard pack. A little bit slow edge-to-edge but they have enough camber and are stiff enough to hold an edge on the hard pack and suck up the chatter. I think they will be fantastic in powder and crud. In hindsight I wish I had mounted them a little further forward. More tail would probably be welcome in pow/chow conditions.

The Zoomer area (and whole Mtn) should be looking great by the weekend.

7777a52189d57bf214ca019319735663.jpg

You're going to love those skis. They ski very differently depending on how you weight them. Almost feels like two different skis. You can really load up the tails and turn them into slashing machines, or you can ride them forward and they'll carve.

You're going to love those skis. They ski very differently depending on how you weight them. Almost feels like two different skis. You can really load up the tails and turn them into slashing machines, or you can ride them forward and they'll carve.
I did notice that. And I do love them! Also, for their length and width they're surprisingly light. It's funny I have the same ski in the 100mm, but they are extremely different animals. Thanks again!

On 11/30/2017 at 10:33 PM, Cannonballer said:

In hindsight I wish I had mounted them a little further forward. More tail would probably be welcome in pow/chow conditions.

I mounted my Big Stix 100s 1cm back and I don't think it was far back enough, lol. Not sure how different the 110s are or the vintage or if the recommended point has migrated. Between my really big BSL and skiing style, I usually mount further back on pretty much all my skis... especially as mounting points have migrated forward on twin tips. Hard for me to get "too much" tip in front of me.

Skiing frozen whales is the worst. Nice to see Cannon putting all that fire power to good use! Hard to believe it is only the first day of December and they have this much terrain opened. According to the report, they have Gary's Rocket and Zoomer groomed now. Probably going to be pretty "fast" snow tomorrow.

I mounted my Big Stix 100s 1cm back and I don't think it was far back enough, lol. Not sure how different the 110s are or the vintage or if the recommended point has migrated. Between my really big BSL and skiing style, I usually mount further back on pretty much all my skis... especially as mounting points have migrated forward on twin tips. Hard for me to get "too much" tip in front of me.
Skiing frozen whales is the worst. Nice to see Cannon putting all that fire power to good use! Hard to believe it is only the first day of December and they have this much terrain opened. According to the report, they have Gary's Rocket and Zoomer groomed now. Probably going to be pretty "fast" snow tomorrow.
I have my BS 100s mounted 1cm back also. They are perfect that way! I can ski them centered in a flat-pivot style, forward in an attack carve style, or backseat in a floaty crud-buster style. But the 110s are a surprisingly different ski. Partly it's due to the 187cm vs the 176cm of my 100s. But mostly it seems to be the greater stiffness and more camber that the 110s have. As a result, I feel like I ALWAYS have to be driving them forward. There isn't the same option to ride then on-center, and definitely not in the backseat. Maybe that will change in softer/deeper snow. Or maybe the mount just needs to be further forward. The 100s are straight up fun and easy. The 110s need taming....with the potential to excell that come with that.