SkiMom

Bretton Woods 12/9 - How Busy?

My husband and 7-year-old will be at home on Saturday due to non-skiing obligations.  That means I'll have the 4- and 9-year-old by myself.  As you can imagine, the skiing level/speed/ability is vastly different between the 2.  I was planning to spend the day at BW because at least there the 4-year-old can ski on all the trails, and I can let the 9-year-old lap us at his own pace, provided he can prove to me he can use the lift by himself (reach the bar to pull it down and have enough strength to lift it up).  That way I'll be on the same trail as him (if something were to happen), but the little guy isn't slowing him down and driving him crazy.

It seemed like a perfect plan until I realized it was (1) Demo Day, and (2) Ski Team open house.  Do you think it will be super busy there?  Am I going to regret going there over Cannon, where we'd all likely be stuck on the Eagle and Peabody lifts?

Thanks for the advice!

3 minutes ago, SkiMom said:

My husband and 7-year-old will be at home on Saturday due to non-skiing obligations.  That means I'll have the 4- and 9-year-old by myself.  As you can imagine, the skiing level/speed/ability is vastly different between the 2.  I was planning to spend the day at BW because at least there the 4-year-old can ski on all the trails, and I can let the 9-year-old lap us at his own pace, provided he can prove to me he can use the lift by himself (reach the bar to pull it down and have enough strength to lift it up).  That way I'll be on the same trail as him (if something were to happen), but the little guy isn't slowing him down and driving him crazy.

It seemed like a perfect plan until I realized it was (1) Demo Day, and (2) Ski Team open house.  Do you think it will be super busy there?  Am I going to regret going there over Cannon, where we'd all likely be stuck on the Eagle and Peabody lifts?

Thanks for the advice!

Can't speak to how busy BW will be on Saturday but Cannon should have the Tuckerbrook pod open for Saturday...they were blowing on it all Friday night and Saturday and mention today in their snow report that it should be open by the end of the week.

11 minutes ago, xwhaler said:

Can't speak to how busy BW will be on Saturday but Cannon should have the Tuckerbrook pod open for Saturday...they were blowing on it all Friday night and Saturday and mention today in their snow report that it should be open by the end of the week.

I've actually never skied in the Tuckerbrook pod.  Is that more exciting than Gremlin, Lower Cannon, and Gary's? Do the lifts at least move faster than the Eagle and Zoomer lifts?

7 minutes ago, SkiMom said:

I've actually never skied in the Tuckerbrook pod.  Is that more exciting than Gremlin, Lower Cannon, and Gary's? Do the lifts at least move faster than the Eagle and Zoomer lifts?

It's a nice pod down there...Cannon did a nice job creating that. Lift runs about the same as Zoomer IIRC and a tad faster than Eagle Cliff.
Should be way less ice than in the middle of the mtn.....though its not very steep they have been making snow on both blues and greens over there. Nothing even half as steep as Gary's so don;t go looking for a ton of challenge.

If I was with a 4 and 9 yo, didn't want to deal with lines or the icy roues off the Peabody I'd be in Tuckerbrook

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, xwhaler said:

It's a nice pod down there...Cannon did a nice job creating that. Lift runs about the same as Zoomer IIRC and a tad faster than Eagle Cliff.
Should be way less ice than in the middle of the mtn.....though its not very steep they have been making snow on both blues and greens over there. Nothing even half as steep as Gary's so don;t go looking for a ton of challenge.

If I was with a 4 and 9 yo, didn't want to deal with lines or the icy roues off the Peabody I'd be in Tuckerbrook

9 year old would get bored over there after 1 run if they ski well.

6 minutes ago, Smellytele said:

9 year old would get bored over there after 1 run if they ski well.

This is my fear as well, for the 9-year-old and me!

The 4-year-old skis pretty well (for a 4-year-old), but gets nervous and shuts down with steep & icy conditions...aka the Links off the Peabody lift!  Gary's might have been a little hard/icy for him this weekend, but he could have done it.  He didn't, because he was being a cranky 4-year-old and I didn't want to push my luck!

3 minutes ago, SkiMom said:

This is my fear as well, for the 9-year-old and me!

The 4-year-old skis pretty well (for a 4-year-old), but gets nervous and shuts down with steep & icy conditions...aka the Links off the Peabody lift!  Gary's might have been a little hard/icy for him this weekend, but he could have done it.  He didn't, because he was being a cranky 4-year-old and I didn't want to push my luck!

If you mix in a run over in tuckerbrook every now and then through out the day it would mix things up for you I guess. I only take that lift over there to get to Mittersil

There will be fewer crazies bombing the slopes at Bretton Woods.  Fewer groups of racers coming down the hill at mach schnell.  Fewer snowboarders.  The terrain at Bretton Woods will be gentler than at Cannon.  If it's a weekend when the trails will get skied off and icy, it takes longer for that to happen at Bretton Woods because the trails are less steep and fewer crazies are there pushing the snow off to the side.

As far as the crowds, I've found that the parking lots can be full at Bretton Woods and the lodge can be full, but the slopes still have less traffic than at Cannon.  I have no idea how this comes to be; maybe people are relaxing in the lodge.  

Your kids will have fun at Bretton Woods, I suspect.  At Cannon, you may end up worrying over things.  Skiing in any direction after getting off Cannon's Peabody chair will present problems.  It's a bottleneck in all directions.  You'll end up riding the EagleCliff chair, and Zoomer all day.  That can work, but racers will take up one of the trails off Zoomer, and the other trails open off that chair may seem steep for your little ones.  And maybe for you. EagleCliff will be your prime chair.  

Tuckerbrook is a whole "family" area, and it's great during the middle of the season.  But it may have only two trails open.  Or one.  Check the website.

Both mountains have their beginner slope open.  The one at Bretton Woods is a bit wider, but they are quite similar otherwise.  Wider means less traffic to contend with on those first few runs to get your ski legs back.

At Bretton Woods you'll have two chairs at the bottom to choose from (in addition to the beginner chair), and at least one going up higher.  There were two going up higher this weekend.  Both kids can go up a second chair to the summit if they can ski down Rangeview, which is a green.  My suggestion is to go to Bretton Woods.

Edited by LiquidFeet

9 hours ago, LiquidFeet said:

Fewer snowboarders.  

Yeah, probably true. But I think BW will be fun despite this major shortcoming. 

FYI @LiquidFeet : my wife and I will be heading to BW on Saturday with our 3 nephews ( that's 5 snowboarders!). Just fair warning if you actually consider this a decision point in 2017. I mean, we're all usually at Cannon so that's a 10 snowboarder swing next Saturday!! Pretty scary stuff. If you do manage to brave the scene I promise that my wife and I will take off our scary snowboards off and join you for some friendly adult conversation. But only for a minute, because then we'll have to get back out to resume intimidating people. 

Edited by Cannonballer
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

Yeah, probably true. But I think BW will be fun despite this major shortcoming. 

FYI @LiquidFeet : my wife and I will be heading to BW on Saturday with our 3 nephews ( that's 5 snowboarders!). Just fair warning if you actually consider this a decision point in 2017. I mean, we're all usually at Cannon so that's a 10 snowboarder swing next Saturday!! Pretty scary stuff. If you do manage to brave the scene I promise that my wife and I will take off our scary snowboards off and join you for some friendly adult conversation. But only for a minute, because then we'll have to get back out to resume intimidating people. 

Adult conversation? False advertising

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice!  I'm very familiar with BW as that was our home mountain last season and we had about 40 days there last year.  The 4-year-old is good on almost all the trails there, and definitely all the open trails now.  As of now our plan is be there on Saturday.  At least there the 9-year-old can lap us (as I am forced to go the speed of a 4-year-old) on the trails so we don't "cramp" his speedy style :P