We'll start by asking ourselves a question. 

Q: Has it snowed at all recently?

A: Wow great question, someone who isn't me. How about 17" since Sunday? Not too shabby eh?

Q: Meh.

A: Dude seriously? That's pretty sweet.

Q: Pics or it didn't happen.

A: OK. How about this?

2017-12-13-JA-sugarbush-004A.jpg

• Like 4

What's coming up on the mountain improvements wishlist?

I remember hearing a couple years ago on Skimrv.com a lodge at the top of Gatehouse. But haven't heard anything since. This is really the only plan I have heard about upcoming improvements

Win makes it sound like snowmaking capacity improvements are unlikely, though it seems to be the most wanted improvements.

What's coming up on the mountain improvements wishlist?

I remember hearing a couple years ago on Skimrv.com a lodge at the top of Gatehouse was imminent. But haven't heard anything since. This is really the only plan I have heard about upcoming improvements

Win makes it sound like snowmaking capacity improvements are unlikely, though it seems to be the most wanted improvements.

2 hours ago, Paul Chang said:

What's typically the best month to visit the mountain? Looking to plan a weekend trip 

Every month! But seriously, February and March are often the safest bets for good snow. February has averaged about 50 inches of snow in our history and March averages about 45". Last year, thanks to those big storms we saw, we received 68" in Feb and 58" in March. Both months usually deliver!

How has being on the Mountain Collective Pass worked out so far? Obviously it is early in the season, but does it look like something you will continue to be a part of? I'd love to hear about the process of how you became a part of the pass too, if that is something you're willing to share.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul Chang said:

What's typically the best month to visit the mountain? Looking to plan a weekend trip 

Snow quality is usually best first half of March but the crowds are smaller than January and February. 

Benski,

We have made approximately $7 million in capital improvements this past year.  The vast majority has been on the mountain.  We installed two new fixed grip quads, one at Lincoln Peak and one at Mount Ellen.  These both greatly improve the  beginner experience.  Since purchasing Sugarbush in 2001 we have replaced 7 of  the 16 lifts.  Two  groomers were purchased, one of which is for the Terrain Park as well. We purchased more low energy guns and towers and a new electrical compressor which runs as variable levels of Cubic Feet per minute of compressed air.  And, we installed new RFID Axxess  gates at all base lifts and eliminated the scanners.  In addition to these major and visible projects we did considerable work in repairing snowmaking pumps, motors, snowmaking pipe and valves,  paving some roads and repairing roofs and interiors of a number of building to expand seating in places like the Green Mountain Lodge at Mount Ellen and Allyn's Lodge at Lincoln Peak.

As far as the lodge on the Gatehouse plateau, this is not an immediate project but still something we are considering in our long range plan.

• Like 2

Xwhaler.

We do not own land that one would consider Off-Piste but the unique thing about  Sugarbush is the opportunities that exist for wooded skiing within out existing 4,000 acre   boundary.  No one in the East has this inbound acreage for terrific wood skiing.  We have 28 marked wooded areas and with an open wood policy they are many other options including our 2,000 acre Slidebrook wildernesss basin.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2017 at 3:49 PM, xwhaler said:

I think my Mt Ellen question above was not answered. Thanks for the thoughtful replies and valuable info so far though!

We're focused on Lincoln Peak for the time being, so no plans at this point yet to develop Mt. Ellen.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sugarbush_Resort said:

We're focused on Lincoln Peak for the time being, so no plans at this point yet to develop Mt. Ellen.

I think you missed my question on the Mountain Collective Pass too. How has being on a multi-mountain pass worked out so far this year?

It seems like passes like MAX and Mountain Collective give independent resorts some of the benefits of being a part of a larger conglomerate of resorts without losing your independence. Is that true? Are you thinking you'll stick with the pass for the coming years? Shift to another/a new multi-resort pass?

Thanks for taking part in the AMA, its awesome to get the kind of feedback you've provided in this thread so far!

Is Win planning on stepping away from the business in the near future? Is there a succession plan to continue the local feed, vibe, and positive culture of Sugarbush?

4 hours ago, Sugarbush_Resort said:

And whats next for Lincoln Peek?