face protection on cold days

I froze my ass off today at Jay Peak. I got three runs in before frostbite became a concern. This is a typical story which made me wonder what other options are out there. How do you protect your face from frostbite?

I've used face masks that too often get the mouths caked up with ice from breath condensation. Without the mouth protection my nose typically get frostbite. Suggestions?

29 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

I froze my ass off today at Jay Peak. I got three runs in before frostbite became a concern. This is a typical story which made me wonder what other options are out there. How do you protect your face from frostbite?

I've used face masks that too often get the mouths caked up with ice from breath condensation. Without the mouth protection my nose typically get frostbite. Suggestions?

I have two masks with nose protection that I cycle through if icing becomes a problem. I just shove the spare in a pocket and switch it out if the first mask becomes too cold and wet/icy.

Icing on the mouth has always just been annoying, but never a problem such that I would need a fresh mask more than once in a day.

Those goggles with a nose piece look pretty great though.

Tend to usually just use a balaclava and a neck gaiter. I only pull the balaclava up to just below my lips and the neck warmer up and over. I breath in through my mouth and then one small puff back out through my mouth to warm that area and the rest out my nose to keep it warm. moisture is kept at a minimum on the neck warmer and I can rotate it when it does collect moisture. Never had frostbite with this scheme.

• 4 months later...

I second the Facesaver mask mentioned above. I can't control condensation on any facemask/balaclava that I've tried (Airhole, Serius, etc.) . The Facesaver is perfect. It's always in the back pocket of my pants and I pull it out if it's either extremely cold and/or snowing. 

Just make sure to take it off when you take your helmet off or you'll get some strange looks in the lodge.