Sign in to follow this  
Cannonballer

Lincoln, NH Mid-Dec 2017

This portion of the forum needs a kick in the pants!!  Obviously it's only been slow because XC/BC needs to rely on Mother Nature more so than the other activities we discuss.  Truth be told, if I had to make the choice, I'd take XC over everything else I do. I sure hope I never have to make that choice!!  

The recent snowfall has set up the the woods of White Mountains really nice for touring.  Today I skipped my plans to snowboard at Cannon in favor of getting out in the woods.  Sometimes it's so easy to hop on that lift, but once I'm way out in the woods I always appreciate the quiet, the solitude, the views, the natural snow, the pounding heart, and the burning lungs.  More than anything I appreciate the joy on my ski partner's face....

IMG_20171215_143621_819.thumb.jpg.a6ed19605d951593448f4a42bf3c89a4.jpg

The trail conditions are as you'd expect, about of foot of very fluffy new stuff over a barely existent base. For the most part the base (the ground) underneath is frozen which makes enough of a base. However, there is some open-water stream crossings here and there.  Don't put your pole in the water!!

IMG_20171215_115646815_HDR.thumb.jpg.b8490a9bdb753dfded80858ac7e309a8.jpg

Even more importantly, don't put your skis in the water.  I did get the bases wet a few times and spent a little bit of time scraping ice and slush off of my bases (no big deal).  

Most importantly, XC skiing let's you stop and smell the proverbial roses.  Get out there and enjoy folks!!

IMG_20171215_111546681_HDR.thumb.jpg.8270a66c201e52aa07e3e6c332f82ce4.jpg

• Like 5