Jump to content
kdaffy

Wachusett Conditions and get togethers

Recommended Posts

It may be small and not steep, but they are snow making and grooming magicians! 

Starting this in honor of one of my favorite threads on epicski.com.  It was started in 2006 and has been going strong through the 16/17 season with 1360 (and counting posts).

The mountain closed in April after a fantastic season.  They made significant investment in their snowmaking capabilities and it showed.  For its proximity to Boston and surrounding suburbs it really can't be beat. 

I usually hit the WA up one night a week.  Looking forward to next season!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, kdaffy said:

It may be small and not steep, but they are snow making and grooming magicians! 

Starting this in honor of one of my favorite threads on epicski.com.  It was started in 2006 and has been going strong through the 16/17 season with 1360 (and counting posts).

The mountain closed in April after a fantastic season.  They made significant investment in their snowmaking capabilities and it showed.  For its proximity to Boston and surrounding suburbs it really can't be beat. 

I usually hit the WA up one night a week.  Looking forward to next season!

Awesome. Do you participate in the beer league there? Some of us did a small team at Crotched last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Weatherman said:

Awesome. Do you participate in the beer league there? Some of us did a small team at Crotched last year.

This was the first year in the past decade I did not do it.  Wanted to, but I couldn't meet the female requirement for my team.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This year I split time between Wa and Crotched for night skiing at a frequency of about once per week. I ended up liking Crotched a little better and opted for the Peak Pass for next year. I am greedy and will also do the Max too, so I'll most likely make 5 visits to Wachusett next year as well.

I was impressed overall though. I loved the bumps they had on Frannies Folly and 10th.

Edited by Jully

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure about silver, I've always had the bronze pass and its either the same or $10 more than last year I think.  I could never justify the silver pass, because to me the WA is off limits on weekend days, and the bronze covers all nights.  

If we start a group, we can reduce the prices by $10 more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kdaffy said:

Not sure about silver, I've always had the bronze pass and its either the same or $10 more than last year I think.  I could never justify the silver pass, because to me the WA is off limits on weekend days, and the bronze covers all nights.  

If we start a group, we can reduce the prices by $10 more.

The only reason I'd consider the silver is if the pass price with the Max Pass add-on was comparable enough to the Max Pass alone to reasonably justify a pass that I would use only a handful of times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, kdaffy said:

Not sure about silver, I've always had the bronze pass and its either the same or $10 more than last year I think.  I could never justify the silver pass, because to me the WA is off limits on weekend days, and the bronze covers all nights.  

If we start a group, we can reduce the prices by $10 more.

 

13 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

The only reason I'd consider the silver is if the pass price with the Max Pass add-on was comparable enough to the Max Pass alone to reasonably justify a pass that I would use only a handful of times.

Bronze is the same as last year at $279. I almost bought one last year but decided to hold off. Silver is also the same price as last year.

I've seriously thought about the Silver and Max Add-on too, but with Crotched on the Peak Pass, I don't see myself going more than 5x to Wachusett. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @KDaffy just found your tribute thread. Well played. Think I had a few hundred posts in the now vaporized thread, one of the most viewed ski trip thread in history!

I'm in, bronze pass again.

Hope to see you on the hill this year! Same crew we're all pretty hard to miss, lotta racing skis! 

:)

I'm passing on tomorrow personally but I am expect to read a trip report post or two tomorrow night.

Hoping lifts turn a couple days next week so I can get back into action!

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, hrstrat57 said:

Hey @KDaffy just found your tribute thread. Well played. Think I had a few hundred posts in the now vaporized thread, one of the most viewed ski trip thread in history!

I'm in, bronze pass again.

Hope to see you on the hill this year! Same crew we're all pretty hard to miss, lotta racing skis! 

:)

I'm passing on tomorrow personally but I am expect to read a trip report post or two tomorrow night.

Hoping lifts turn a couple days next week so I can get back into action!

 

 

 

I may join you guys at Wachusett next weekend. With Crotched in the race, I'm short of another play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

I may join you guys at Wachusett next weekend. With Crotched in the race, I'm short of another play.

Sorry @Weatherman I avoid Wa on weekends like sour milk. My pass doesn't work until 4pm and I skip any liftline more than 5 m long at Wa. 

Bronze pass, we are there during the week...planning at least twice a week this season. Usually first chair and out by 12.

Hope y'all can join in, friendly group.  Weekday Wa is just awesome.

Edited by hrstrat57

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well here we go folks!! To my surprise as a passholder I was not notified of the opening but made it anyway with my son. We had a blast! Very limited terrain open with monadnock and conifer being the only options but decent coverage. I can't remember the Wa being open this early but I'm glad they made the effort!

I should've checked in here but I am partially still in fall mode and have been away from the forums.

@hrstrat57 happy you found this thread. Hoping we can get traction going here! I'm in again with the bronze so hoping to meet up finally!

IMG_20171112_132405.jpg

Edited by kdaffy
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hrstrat57 said:

Great pic gets this wa thread off to a good start! I’ll be booted up for noon tomorrow. Late start good so I can watch Pats/Denver!

 

hay stranger.... Good to see you.

I didn't know this thread exist on this board up until now lol

if Wachusett open daily now. I should be there for Tuesday

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schedule for the week:

Nov. 12 - 8 am to 8 pm

Nov. 13 - 17 - 12 to 7 pm

Nov. 18 - 19 - 8 am to 8 pm

Nov. 20 & beyond - to be determined

Nov. 23 - closed

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kdaffy said:

Schedule for the week:

Nov. 12 - 8 am to 8 pm

Nov. 13 - 17 - 12 to 7 pm

Nov. 18 - 19 - 8 am to 8 pm

Nov. 20 & beyond - to be determined

Nov. 23 - closed

 

Think they'll make it to this weekend? The webcam isn't showing deep cover. They may be my only play this weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Think they'll make it to this weekend? The webcam isn't showing deep cover. They may be my only play this weekend.

The forecast looks cold enough for them to continue to make snow this week...up to them if they will do so, but conifer had solid coverage to last at least through the week...I would say they had up to 20" in most places where they made snow....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping they'll at least make next Thursday or Friday. I can't ski Saturday next week, so I might have to leave work real early to get turns in before the 7pm closing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow what an awesome day 1 for me! Conditions were amazing especially on Challenger! Best day one ever. I even made the daily photo on the Wa IG Page. No time at the moment to figure out how to linky screenshot and day 1 staged photo here.....

Huge thanks to the Crowley crew for deciding to run the lifts this week and creating such an awesome playground!!

Looking forward to a huge season.

Should still be great  tomorrow. Go get some! Same deal lifts turn at noon.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey kdaffy, thanks for starting this thread. I was the OP of the original thread on epic and along with hrstrat57 kept it alive for as you say 10 years plus.

 

Living 15 minutes from the mountain makes it a no brainer for me to ski there during the week.  I go early and leave before noon so I can be home to work.  Weekends I ski and teach at Berkshire East.  I'm looking forward to meeting with and skiing with you and other members of this forum.  

 

Yesterday was a good day.  As I'd projected the day after Thanksgiving as opening day, it now looks like i'm going to get a number of days in before I even thought I'd start.  

 

Conifer was pretty bad on Sunday, but not too bad yesterday, but as hrstrat said Challenger was fantastic yesterday.  Sweet soft snow.  I plan on being there today and if my septic tank guy shows up in the morning tomorrow, I'll be there then too.

 

Look for my blue coat as seen in my avatar.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SkiMangoJazz said:

Hey kdaffy, thanks for starting this thread. I was the OP of the original thread on epic and along with hrstrat57 kept it alive for as you say 10 years plus.

 

Living 15 minutes from the mountain makes it a no brainer for me to ski there during the week.  I go early and leave before noon so I can be home to work.  Weekends I ski and teach at Berkshire East.  I'm looking forward to meeting with and skiing with you and other members of this forum.  

 

Yesterday was a good day.  As I'd projected the day after Thanksgiving as opening day, it now looks like i'm going to get a number of days in before I even thought I'd start.  

 

Conifer was pretty bad on Sunday, but not too bad yesterday, but as hrstrat said Challenger was fantastic yesterday.  Sweet soft snow.  I plan on being there today and if my septic tank guy shows up in the morning tomorrow, I'll be there then too.

 

Look for my blue coat as seen in my avatar.  

How deep is the cover? Are they going to survive this week's liquid precip?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Mobile Apps available!

Please try our mobile apps for iOS and Android

×