kdaffy

Wachusett Conditions and get togethers

8 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

How deep is the cover? Are they going to survive this week's liquid precip?

Its been marginal at night these past few days, but does anyone know if they have been able to make snow at all this week? I don't know, but would assume Wachusett is familiar with blowing snow in the most marginal of temperatures.

I live :15 away and got up this morning to a light coating of snow in my (dirt) driveway and some in my yard.  I bet they got a little more.  Looking at the webcams and it looks the same as it was yesterday.  Today and tomorrow should be fine. Thursday's precip is the question.

1 hour ago, SkiMangoJazz said:

I live :15 away and got up this morning to a light coating of snow in my (dirt) driveway and some in my yard.  I bet they got a little more.  Looking at the webcams and it looks the same as it was yesterday.  Today and tomorrow should be fine. Thursday's precip is the question.

Glad you finally representing here....

Tribute thread title and all!!

The deceased Epic thread was fun and led directly to many friendships made and memorable days at Wa and other hills with virtual ski friends turned into reality.

The WWW can produce greatness at least when it comes to skiing!

re Wachusett don’t overthink things folks go get some this afternoon!!!

Make sure u buys tix on line, cheaper and you’ll get a card that can be reloaded.

hoping to make some new wa friends via this thread.

gotta go tweak some buzzin my old Telecaster- blues jam tonight! Y’all go get some wa and post here to tell me how it was!

Edited by hrstrat57

Today was fantastic.  Skied 12-3.  10,800 vertical feet (but who's counting?)  Conifer was great.  No one was there.  Definitely losing money.  They closed the Polar lift at 3 due to lack of staff.  Challenger was again excellent, but with Conifer skiing so well we spent most of the time there.  Tomorrow should be the same or better.  Thursday probable rain at this point in time.

4 days in a row.  Today not as good as yesterday, but still good skiing.  Snow wasn't soft like it was yesterday.

They're closed tomorrow (rain.)  Friday will probably be typical icy NE conditions.

10 minutes ago, SkiMangoJazz said:

4 days in a row.  Today not as good as yesterday, but still good skiing.  Snow wasn't soft like it was yesterday.

They're closed tomorrow (rain.)  Friday will probably be typical icy NE conditions.

Odds on them being open Saturday? Was hoping to get out today, but other obligations held me up.

Website says yes, hard to say with more rain on the way.  It's pretty impressive that they didn't just open Sunday and close this week.  Jeff Crowley told us that they were certainly losing money every day this week, spinning 4 lifts (including the surface beginner lift.)  Cafeteria wasn't open so they couldn't even make money that way.

Weather forecast says rain not starting until later in the day on Saturday.  

Great couple hours skiing with Skimangojazz and another prominent regular Eric.

My mint old school Salomon tenEighty twin tips were the perfect weapon today for some chunky monkey somewhat challenging in places snow. 

2 great days already woo hoo! 

2 hours ago, SkiMangoJazz said:

Website says yes, hard to say with more rain on the way.  It's pretty impressive that they didn't just open Sunday and close this week.  Jeff Crowley told us that they were certainly losing money every day this week, spinning 4 lifts (including the surface beginner lift.)  Cafeteria wasn't open so they couldn't even make money that way.

Weather forecast says rain not starting until later in the day on Saturday.  

Crowley indicate that he regretted opening at all? I hope he doesn't!

42 minutes ago, Jully said:

Crowley indicate that he regretted opening at all? I hope he doesn't!

I spoke with him at length on Monday.

There are absolutely no regrets I can promise you. He thanked me several times for coming.

I thanked him for opening so my bronze pass could see some early season action.  

As I said, got 2 solid days in. Skill set pretty dialed in. Ready for a great season. Hesitated about going today so thankful that I did!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hrstrat57 said:

I spoke with him at length on Monday.

There are absolutely no regrets I can promise you. He thanked me several times for coming.

I thanked him for opening so my bronze pass could see some early season action.  

As I said, got 2 solid days in. Skill set pretty dialed in. Ready for a great season. Hesitated about going today so thankful that I did!

Do you have his contact info? Think he'd be interested in participating in an Ask Me Anything series?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Do you have his contact info? Think he'd be interested in participating in an Ask Me Anything series?

PM me some contact info for yourself Weatherman. I will work on that for you next time I see him.

• Thanks 1

Wachusett's home page now shows that they will be closed Mon-Thu of next week, reopening on 11/24 - which normally would have been their opening day.

I'll be up today for my 5th time, but not this weekend, so my streak of being there everyday they're open ends today.

Might go to Mount Snow on Tuesday.

If you get the wa weekly email update that’s poster boy and fellow wa regular Lisa on the cover...

made the daily IG now going big time.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

?⛷❄️

Hey folks.  I've created a Wachusett club page.  Check it out!  

Also, gauging interest in a race team for Mon/Tues nights (currently the only slots available).  I have 2 (including myself) maybe 3 guys, and need at least two guys and one female to round out the team.  PM me with any interest.  This is purely for fun!  Also posted as a topic on the Wachusett club page!

Edited by kdaffy

Updated schedule:

Early Season Operating Schedule

Nov. 17 - 12 to 7pm

Nov. 18 - 19 - 8am to 8pm

Nov. 20 - 23 - CLOSED

Nov. 24 - 9am to 8pm

Nov 25 - 26 - 8am to 8pm

Was out this morning from 9:30 to 12:30. Lodge was bustling because of the ski shop sale, but slopes were pretty empty. Ski on or 1 chair wait except for once where I had a 5 chair wait haha.

Conditions were great IMO. Just as good or better than the snow up north despite tougher weather down here. Summit was more sugary while Minuteman was like a springtime Styrofoam. 

I was there too, wonder if we saw each other.   Skied a few runs on Conifer than moved over to Challenger where the snow was softer.  Skiing with a great skier with green pants.  Skied 9:15 - 11:30.  Will be up most mornings for the next couple of weeks, look for the blue coat, and after Wednesday or so a green helmet.  (Current helmet has green vent holes.)

• Like 1

Clocked my first Wa day of the year today.

Skied about 8:45 - 11:00.

First 45 minutes were a little tough in spots as there were some pretty icy patches on Conifer...

Right around 9:30 things started to soften pretty good, and the skiing was great.

I packed it in once my skis started to get hung up in the slush. I had just freshly waxed them too, so was disappointed by that, but I had a few other things to get to today anyway...

Will be posting a full trip report in a little bit.

Skied 8-10:30 this morning.  Not too many people there so we must have seen each other.  4 runs on Conifer and the rest on Challenger.  First run on Conifer on my new SL's was great, deteriorated pretty fast, Challenger wasn't great, but better, loosened up into piles quickly, nothing wet while I was there.  Fun time.  Back again tomorrow at 8.

Edited by SkiMangoJazz

About 8/9 runs today. All but 2 with skimangojazz. Started and stayed on challenger- no snow connecting lifts. Got pretty scratchy at the bottom after 5 runs or so and a few terrified intermediates were struggling where trail narrowed. Day 3 done. Need snowmaking soon or else. Really should have knocked down the features and spread it around. They’re located on the flat middle of the trail and nobody was using them. Maybe the night crew likes em?

Kudos to Wa for staying open. Need some cold weather tonight to build some base and expand trail width. If snowmaking goes Wed night I’ll prob be back Thursday AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

2 minutes ago, hrstrat57 said:

About 8/9 runs today. All but 2 with skimangojazz. Started and stayed on challenger- no snow connecting lifts. Got pretty scratchy at the bottom after 5 runs or so and a few terrified intermediates were struggling where trail narrowed. Day 3 done. Need snowmaking soon or else. Really should have knocked down the features and spread it around. They’re located on the flat middle of the trail and nobody was using them. Maybe the night crew likes em?

Kudos to Wa for staying open. Need some cold weather tonight to build some base and expand trail width. If snowmaking goes Wed night I’ll prob be back Thursday AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

The dwindling cover has been my fear. They'll get a window tonight. Let's see if they use it.

To add to the report, I skied 3 runs on Conifer first thing and enjoyed it.  The first run was great second was fine, better at the bottom than the top.  Third run was also just fine, the only reason I moved over to Challenger that early is because hrstrat was over there.  Conifer has better coverage than Challenger at this point.

Making snow tonight is definitely a hope of mine.  However all in all for late November I think it's just fine.  I have over 100,000 vertical feet so far this season, all but one day at the wa.  Last year it took until December 12th to get this much skiing in.

Carpe Skiem.

Edited by SkiMangoJazz