kdaffy

Wachusett Conditions and get togethers

11 hours ago, hrstrat57 said:

Just confirmed via live Wa web cam.

Guns are blazing.

See y'all Thursday?

I see that now. Nothing I would call massive piles, but probably enough to keep them open. I'm going to try to sneak over for a few hours Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Got to keep padding the day count!

Heads up Wa fans, massive price increase it looks next week- looks to me like Thursday could be the Sweet spot this week ski conditions wise. Y’all can get in for $31 on Wachusett.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

They made a lot of glue, er.. snow on all of the open trails.  Skiing was dangerous this morning because it was so sticky.

That said it should be very good once groomed.  Instead of expanding terrain they added to Conifer and Challenger, plus got Ralph's Run open. 

1 hour ago, SkiMangoJazz said:

They made a lot of glue, er.. snow on all of the open trails.  Skiing was dangerous this morning because it was so sticky.

That said it should be very good once groomed.  Instead of expanding terrain they added to Conifer and Challenger, plus got Ralph's Run open. 

I appreciate that move. Might pop by for night skiing this week. Off to Crotched once they open for night skiing, but love that Wachusett has made turns available south of Concord NH in November!

• Like 1

OK, easy to spot me now.  Green helmet, green boots.  Blue coat.  I'm there most mornings.  Weekends I'll be teaching and skiing at Berkshire East (once they open.)

In the meantime it's  morning wa wa.   This morning was day 11 (1 of those at Mount Snow.) 

Early season turns!

• Like 1

Wachusett was spectacular today.  Soft snow, spring skiing, not slushy, not sticky, carveable.  By 11:30 it was a bit wet, but easy to ski in.  Best day of the season for me.

Tomorrow should be hardpack after the cold night.

• Like 1

And hardpack it was.  Conifer was pretty icy in places, Challenger was fine, not great but fine.  It's still November after all, and no thaw freeze cycles, barely any rain, great start to the season.  Today was my 13th time out, 12 at Wachusett, 1 at Mount Snow.

We've got the MAX Pass so I plan to get to Wachusett 4-5 times this season, depending on schedule and weather.  Hoping to use Wachusett as a fall-back on days when its too snowy to get North since its about 45 minutes from us.  We did the whole GPS + MAX last season, but just didn't use the GPS pass enough and I think only did Wachusett 6 times last season.  So, decided not to spend the extra ~$49 on the GPS + MAX and we just did the stand-alone MAX.

5th day out at Wa today.

It was a day for razor sharp Racetiger SL's. I had mulled over riding twintips today. Tigers were the right pick.

Sparse crowd so even NE hardpack was a great day on the hill. Actually made my first runs of the season on the Monadnock bunny hill making several laps on Indian Summer just working on FIS 13m turns. That was the best snow to be found and it was also empty so great for some focused practice after SMJ headed home. 9-12:30 a good day!

Hopefully back at it Monday, expecting some nice fresh snow on the edges. Could be a decent storm tomorrow night and the temps will drop into optimum snowmaking territory. Wa should add terrain like crazy next week.

Warning for you non Pass holders, it's full price now....make sure you buy your tix on line for savings. Full price is steep.

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎08 at 8:38 PM, hrstrat57 said:

That was the best snow to be found

Agreed, the snow was best there, followed by Ralph's.  Now you have me trying to remember what skis were next to me on the lift...  Was there 10:30- 2:30.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ski-kiki said:

Agreed, the snow was best there, followed by Ralph's.  Now you have me trying to remember what skis were next to me on the lift...  Was there 10:30- 2:30.

Sorry Ski-kiki yellow Racetiger SL but I rode solo all day on all lifts or with SMJ. Tecnica Orange boots. So I missed you in other words but probably saw you on the hill. 

Place was so crowded nobody was there.....

16 hours ago, SkiMangoJazz said:

I was on Head Kore 93's.  Solid black skis, with green boots.

Demo'd those at Loon on Friday.

Fun ski... But I think I liked the Blizzard Brahma a touch more.

28 minutes ago, WJenness said:

Demo'd those at Loon on Friday.

Fun ski... But I think I liked the Blizzard Brahma a touch more.

Didn't get the chance to demo the Kore 93s. They're on my list. Did the Blizzard Brahma and Latigo at Sunapee. Both were lots of fun. Latigo had less float but was substantially quicker than the Brahma on groomed trails and I think I would like it better in moguls. 

13 minutes ago, Jully said:

Didn't get the chance to demo the Kore 93s. They're on my list. Did the Blizzard Brahma and Latigo at Sunapee. Both were lots of fun. Latigo had less float but was substantially quicker than the Brahma on groomed trails and I think I would like it better in moguls. 

Keep in mind on the Latigo side... They didn't make one for 2018, so if you want a pair, you might want to snag them sooner rather than later.

I wish I had demo'd them last year. If I find a pair on the cheap side,  I may snag them, but I am leaning Brahma at the moment.

8 minutes ago, WJenness said:

Keep in mind on the Latigo side... They didn't make one for 2018, so if you want a pair, you might want to snag them sooner rather than later.

I wish I had demo'd them last year. If I find a pair on the cheap side,  I may snag them, but I am leaning Brahma at the moment.

I think the Brahma is superior for most more advanced skiers unless you have a specific use in mind or already have a ski in the range of the Brahma. I already use an old pair of Volkl Kinks for that 88ish mm ski for mid winter ungroomed stuff myself, but would like better performance on east coast style moguls and icier trees (being a twin tip the Kink can't handle any ice unless I'm going higher speed on a groomed blue). Latigo would serve my purpose nicely. Not sure if I want to buy another pair of skis though...

Sad that they didn't make it for 2018, I suspect it just isn't different enough from the Brahma.

1 hour ago, Jully said:

I think the Brahma is superior for most more advanced skiers unless you have a specific use in mind or already have a ski in the range of the Brahma. I already use an old pair of Volkl Kinks for that 88ish mm ski for mid winter ungroomed stuff myself, but would like better performance on east coast style moguls and icier trees (being a twin tip the Kink can't handle any ice unless I'm going higher speed on a groomed blue). Latigo would serve my purpose nicely. Not sure if I want to buy another pair of skis though...

Sad that they didn't make it for 2018, I suspect it just isn't different enough from the Brahma.

So currently, my quiver consists of:

K2 Kung Fujas - 108 underfoot, 189 length, mounted with Marker Dukes - Usage: Pow days, side country
Fischer Watea 84 - 84 underfoot, 184 length, mounted with Marker Barons - Usage: Daily Driver, go anywhere, do anything
Elan Ripstick (Older ones Somewhere in the '03-'05 range, I think) - 67 underfoot, 174(?), system bindings - Usage: Icy, groomer only days
K2 Enemy - Rock Ski (haven't been out of the closet in the past 5 years).

The Watea 84s are getting pretty played out at this point, I've probably put 75%-80% of my days on them since the start of the 2009 season. I'd like to demote them to rock ski duty, and then fill that hole...

However, the more I think about it, I am seriously considering getting a pair of Latigos and a pair of Brahmas, and moving on from the Elans entirely. I barely ever use them (I think one day 2 or 3 seasons ago), and they feel like match sticks on my feet. (Being 6'4", 240lbs might have something to do with that.)

These days, if things are super icy, I just find something else to do with my time. When I got the Rip Sticks, I was up at my buddy's place at Sunday River almost every single weekend. That doesn't happen anymore for a litany of reasons, so I think the Rip Sticks are just going to continue to sit in my closet, unused.

But this might be my inner gear whore coming out, trying to justify another pair of sticks.

-w

Edited by WJenness
  • Like 1

I skied the Latigos for a year and only really liked them in fresh snow.  To me they didn't have great edge hold on hardpack.  The Kore's are a more solid feeling ski to me.

Skied Killington today on my Stockli Laser SC's, and they were great.   Good snow, some snow showers to soften it up and some very slick areas, particularly Superstar.

Tomorrow the Kore's are going for the fresh snow!

Trail count up to 14 today... fantastic work by the snowmaking team this week! I was in the area early this morning and got a few turns in at the open.. coverage was fantastic on Smith and 10th...I left after an hour.

• Like 2

Great to hear.  I'm just weekday mornings now that Berkshire East has opened.  Plan on Monday with @hrstrat57

Just got back from 5 amazing days a Killington.  2 days of about 17" of fresh snow followed by 2 groomer days.  It was like Western skiing.

• Like 1

Likely heading out to the wa this afternoon...will be with the kids until dinner then solo until close. Pm me here if you will be at the hill and we can meet up!

Had a fantastic evening at wachusett!

Warmed up with the kids on the magic carpet and with my son over on monadnock... coverage was pretty much edge to edge and very nice...no ice and piles of man made.

Dinner at the black diamond restaurant was standard pub fare. Some new additions to the menu without any sacrifice to the restaurant's staples.

I spent the rest of the evening lapping polar express alternating between Smith and 10th mountain with sprinkles of conifer here and there. Conifer and 10th were edge to edge and the fresh corduroy was sublime. The guns we're blazing and since it was ~10 at the summit it wasn't all glue.

IMG_20171217_194718.thumb.jpg.372e2b686c52b9689102b22f5412f7d3.jpg

No lift lines at all (that is my figure 8 on the bottom right of the pic), perfect. And as a kicker the pats won a thriller (hoorah live streaming)and I saw a Texas suitcase! 

My new sr88s got their first workout and man do I love this ski...it should be on anyone's radar as a do anything all mountain ski.

IMG_20171217_192134.jpg

Edited by kdaffy