kdaffy

Wachusett Conditions and get togethers

They opened balance rock and frannies today, making it "19" open trails. The weather this weekend isn't looking very good, so not sure if they'll be 100% open by Xmas...
Get those pre-holiday turns in while you can! The mountain is skiing great!

16 hours ago, SkiMangoJazz said:

Sorry MarzNC, I'll be there today and Wed-Thu, but Tuesday is the day I have to go into my office.

One of these days . . .

By the way, I skied at Berkshire East this morning.  Had a good time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MarzNC said:

I skied at Berkshire East this morning

Berkshire East?  Wasn't the plan for Jiminy?  Or did you add one more to your "ski my way up" trip?

16 hours ago, Ski-kiki said:

Berkshire East?  Wasn't the plan for Jiminy?  Or did you add one more to your "ski my way up" trip?

Price was right at B East since I hadn't made a commitment to buying an advanced ticket to Jiminy last week.  Was more curious about B East but wasn't sure it would be open on a Monday yet.

3 hours ago, frapcap said:

Thinking of hiking up and skiing down in the am on Xmas eve

Not sure what you mean.  Do you mean early before the lifts start turning on the 24th, which is Xmas eve?  Or do you mean  super early before the lifts turn on the 25th, which is Xmas day?

^ Good catch. 

A couple of us are planning on hiking up on the morning of the 24th, likely a little after the lifts start spinning. Theres no urgency to get those earned turns. 

braved the cold last night for some fantastic turns!  mountain was not very busy given it is the vacation week...probably the cold kept the crowds at bay.  pick of the day was the skier's right edge of upper smith...almost like skiing down a spine in about 4-6" of man made pow...pretty sweet! honorable mentions to ralphs and hitchcock which both had some great cover edge to edge...middle of the trails were scratchy from skier traffic, but overall a fantastic night despite the cold.

they are almost 100% open and have the perfect weather setup to make a ton of snow (which they were doing plenty of last night). 

I just got back.  Skied off the Minuteman lift from 5-8:30.   We had the mountain to ourselves and the snow couldn't have been any better.  Perfect packed powder, no ice, no hardpack.  Softish carveable snow.  We were digging trenches all night.  Cold, but who cares?  I'll never complain about cold in the Winter - consider the alternative.

6 hours ago, SkiingInABlueDream said:

What do the wachusett regulars think crowds will be like tomorrow (saturday) night in the 7-10 time range? I'm busy until evening but I'm itching to get some runs on my new skis.

My guess is that it would be fairly empty due to the cold.  Thursday night we had the mountain to ourselves.

I second that....might be a little busy before 7, but those hours are prime time empty mountain night skiing, especially on a night as cold as tonight is expected to be. Maybe 1-2 groups ahead of you in line from 7-8, then ski to the chair the rest of the night

Blackout days are over-- hoping to get there early tomorrow and get some runs in before I have to start thinking about shoveling.

• Like 1

Depending on what's going on with work, the snow and driving, we might shoot up tomorrow night for some fresh snow since we've got 5 MAX Passes there.

Anyone heading up during/after the storm?

45 minutes ago, Jcb890 said:

Depending on what's going on with work, the snow and driving, we might shoot up tomorrow night for some fresh snow since we've got 5 MAX Passes there.

Anyone heading up during/after the storm?

Maybe? But will probably end up at Crotched instead. Or maybe night ski Shawnee or King Pine if I can get moving in that direction in time.

Website still says 10pm as did the morning snow report.  I'm aiming to get there around 6pm to ski with a couple friends. I wear a Grey, blue, maroon parka with grey helmet. Or find me at the bar at some point in the evening after a couple hours skiing. Wearing a grey and orange shirt. Say hi if you see me!