kdaffy

Wachusett Conditions and get togethers

Went Wednesday night and this morning for a few turns...what a difference a few days make...they must have been working the snowmaking system on overdrive last night because first chair was groomed man made perfection

• Like 1

Good Wa today. Had a bit of a snowstorm which provide a nice dusting. Lotta snow was made on most Minuteman lift terrain. Look Ma was ridiculously good with big whales for gliding over. 

Tenth Mtn had some blue ice peakin thru as did Conifer but hit that after the morning crew cleared out and it was super fun.

Worth a visit if you can get out tonight!

I’ll be back Friday!

• Like 1

Any weekend skiers with young kids?  My son is 5 years old and we spend 80% of our time on the Minuteman lift.  I think he would enjoy skiing with other kids.  Will be there this weekend.

Early release for school today due to the storm, too bad I only have the Weekender pass!  Enjoy the fresh powder!

• Like 1

On 2/6/2018 at 9:15 PM, Ski-kiki said:

Waiting to see what condition might be like on Thursday, but will definitely be there Friday with the teen.

Great to meet you today.  Will be back tomorrow and will try not to say inappropriate things to your teen. :)

• Like 4

Wa was fffast today.

Started on Polar Express, Conifer had a lot of golf balls and some sketchy spots, rollers at the bottom were a blast. 10th was better but the straight fall line shot all the way under the lift is still not open - very odd. Best line on the mountain. Boo!  SW was the best of the bunch and caught it empty / got to turn my Völkl GS Racetigers loose. Fun!

Minuteman Look Ma continues to be the pick of the bunch but watch out for some hard to see rollers near the bottom - I got unexpectedly launched into some large air at speed and barely stuck the sloppy landing!! Challenger had busy action on the Wa nastar course. Hitchcock sadly was good early but the narrow trail created by the seeded bumps got ski’d off and it was tippy toe time down for unsuspecting intermediates forcing me to slam on the brakes a couple times.

Didn’ t ski Monadnock or Ralph’s but heard stellar reports regarding both.

if you skiing tonight pack the race SL’s it’s gonna be scratch.

be careful out there!

Wa was fffast today.

Started on Polar Express, Conifer had a lot of golf balls and some sketchy spots, rollers at the bottom were a blast. 10th was better but the straight fall line shot all the way under the lift is still not open - very odd. Best line on the mountain. Boo!  SW was the best of the bunch and caught it empty / got to turn my Völkl GS Racetigers loose. Fun!

Minuteman Look Ma continues to be the pick of the bunch but watch out for some hard to see rollers near the bottom - I got unexpectedly launched into some large air at speed and barely stuck the sloppy landing!! Challenger had busy action on the Wa nastar course. Hitchcock sadly was good early but the narrow trail created by the seeded bumps got ski’d off and it was tippy toe time down for unsuspecting intermediates forcing me to slam on the brakes a couple times.

Didn’ t ski Monadnock or Ralph’s but heard stellar reports regarding both.

if you skiing tonight pack the race SL’s it’s gonna be scratch.

be careful out there!

• Like 1

I went Thursday evening. Soft spring conditions. Many slabs of ices, but given the warmth, there was some grip on the slabs.  Ski patrol was busy though. The variable conditions surprised a lot of the kids and it looks like a few took some hard falls.

Wachusett is going to be hurting after the warmth next week unless they make a lot of snow this weekend (and get some of that natural coming through Saturday night).

I was at nashoba today which I would imagine is similar to the Wawa...soft snow decent base, got skied off by mid day, and starting to firm up around 5p. Heard that wachusett was jammed today.

Wa was good today, crazy good.

shocked at how good it was

Edge to edge deep hero snow. Appears the inventory of snow has been spread out.

go get some Wednesday or Thursday morning!!

night skiing tonight and Wednesday should be good too.

• Like 1

took 6 excellent runs on my Volkl Explosivs this AM.

55 degrees 

stuff to do, out.

guy in parking lot making the exact same choice said “if I want mashed potatoes I’ll go to a restaurant “

?⛷

If I'm reading the weather forecast correctly, WaWa could get 12+ inches starting on early Wed morning and into Thu afternoon, 3/8, with most of the snow coming after lunch time on Wed.  Does that seem possible?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm flying into Boston on Tue evening.  Changed my flight that was on Wed afternoon because the airlines are gearing up for the storm on 3/6 and offered a free change.  Don't really need to be in Waltham until Thu late afternoon.  Trying to figure out where to ski on Wed and where to stay on Wed night.  Not planning to rent an SUV but that could change.

1 minute ago, MarzNC said:

If I'm reading the weather forecast correctly, WaWa could get 12+ inches starting on early Wed morning and into Thu afternoon, 3/8, with most of the snow coming after lunch time on Wed.  Does that seem possible?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm flying into Boston on Tue evening.  Changed my flight that was on Wed afternoon because the airlines are gearing up for the storm on 3/6 and offered a free change.  Don't really need to be in Waltham until Thu late afternoon.  Trying to figure out where to ski on Wed and where to stay on Wed night.  Not planning to rent an SUV but that could change.

My guess is about 14" at WaWa.

• Like 2

Ski’d Wa this AM 

Challenger was groomed hard pack fast and good cover, no scratch. Excellent for fun riding my FIS GS boards!!

Conifer was running out of snow, dust on crust and I’m being very generous re the crust. Smith was excellent as it was recently race prepped but as it attracts wedge turners when Connie is bad the skiing got very defensive so back to Challenger I went. I skip 10th always unless the straight fall line shot down the lift line is open. 

I heard Ralph’s was same as Challenger but didn’t ski it. Hitchcock was cut short due to Look Mom closure for big air prep but upper Hitchcock ski’d great. All the icy bumps on the mountain are gone hopefully will be replaced with fluffy bumps when I head back on Friday ?

I’ll be dumping today’s Racetiger GS skis in favor of the tenEighty twin tips in anticipation!!

edit Wednesday big air moved to Thursday 

• Like 1

Got to Wachusett at 7pm last night. Conditions were good but not blockbuster as was hoped. Then 9pm rolled around and the snow really started coming down. Tracks made two runs ago were completely filled in. Heavy stuff, but lots of powder turns from 9-10pm. If only the heavy snow had started earlier!

Conditions should be great today. Look Ma is closed off for the Big Air comp later.

• Like 2

Looks like I’m the only one playing in this thread? In the spirit of public service even tho it appears nobody is reading it anymore here’s a Wa update.....

Just returning home from 3 nonstop hours of perfect buttery groomer zoomer skiing at Wachusett with a whole cast of equally enthusiastic ski friends.

midwinter perfection. To think a couple weeks ago I thought season was nearly done.

Nope, today’s Wa was WOW!!!!!

Looking like it is about to get Epic!!

Gotta find a way to squeeze in some more skiing in between spurts of NCAA March Madness viewing!

Go get some!!!!!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hrstrat57 said:

Looks like I’m the only one playing in this thread?

I'll play.  After the zoo last Friday, yesterday was a welcome relief.    I basically lapped Connifer from 10-2, thought the snow was great.   Today I am watching the snow from my living room and wishing I didn't have to Toronto for a few days, but looking at the forecast, I would say next Monday is looking good too.  With this storm it looks like I will be skiing Wawa into April like last year!

• Like 2

I think I'm taking this afternoon off and will go ski in the storm. Should be skiing no later than 2pm.

I'll be wearing a grey helmet, white goggle strap. Grey coat with dark red and blue patches. Dark green pants. Black skis. Basically I'm very hard to see :)

And my real name is Brian.

Edited by MassNerd
  • Like 1

Back home in NC and won't be back in Boston during ski season.  But following the weather forecasts for WaWa, Tenney, and Jiminy Peak since that's where I've skied recently.  Certainly going to be deep!

5aa8217aa7af8_ScreenShot2018-03-13at3_05_56PM.thumb.png.4a0a17094fac44cf82f309ac80d8ce81.png