kdaffy

Wachusett Conditions and get togethers

Wa skied unbelievable yesterday.  Was there from 4p on.  Deep soft pow that got a bit heavier into the evening, but man, fantastic for mid march.  Whole mountain is open.

I think this is the last week they stay open until 10p so get your late night turns in while the snow is still great.

I wish I could go.  My season was ended abruptly 2 weeks ago in Colorado.  Tore my Calf muscle.  Not too bad, no surgery needed, but can't ski.  Very frustrating with all this snow, but I had a great season.  78 times on snow before this happened.

• Sad 1

I wish I could go.  My season was ended abruptly 2 weeks ago in Colorado.  Tore my Calf muscle.  Not too bad, no surgery needed, but can't ski.  Very frustrating with all this snow, but I had a great season.  78 times on snow before this happened.
Ouch, sorry to hear that, vibes!!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

On 3/13/2018 at 11:25 AM, Jcb890 said:

If taking tomorrow off and going somewhere tomorrow is out, I may head up this evening to do some laps.  Not sure yet though.

After getting home and spending 2 hours snowblowing snow-cement, I was too tired to go up... and I'm back at work today.  So lame.

Fabulous Friday morning blazing down Wa   groomers on my Racetiger FIS GS boards.

Conditions were perfection, rarely seen around these parts...

y’all need to go get some.....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, hrstrat57 said:

Fabulous Friday morning blazing down Wa   groomers on my Racetiger FIS GS boards.

Conditions were perfection, rarely seen around these parts...

y’all need to go get some.....

So glad you're extending your season.  I am dreaming of maybe being there the last week of the month or the first week of April - if my calf heals enough by then.

9 hours ago, SkiMangoJazz said:

So glad you're extending your season.  I am dreaming of maybe being there the last week of the month or the first week of April - if my calf heals enough by then.

Yeah super excited! Prob back at it again at least twice next week!

See you again soon I hope, sublime skiing right now. Had at least 5 runs where I was the only skier on the hill between 9-10am really got to turn those Tigers loose!!! 

Hit up the wa on sat night lapping polar Express...Smith, 10th and conifer all with great coverage...sugar snow under the liftline on 10th and the edges of Smith....cold temps this week so the snow should be great!

Anyone know when "daylight savings" hours start? If they stay open until 10p this week, I may go one night...

4 minutes ago, kdaffy said:

Anyone know when "daylight savings" hours start? If they stay open until 10p this week, I may go one night...

Website this morning shows hours 9am-10pm.  I'd call to confirm if I were you though.

5 hours ago, Ski-kiki said:

Open til 10 through the 24th.

They made a late decision to close at 9pm tonight. Probably because the place was empty. Snow report did say 10pm though.

They made a late decision to close at 9pm tonight. Probably because the place was empty. Snow report did say 10pm though.
I have experienced this on a few occasions...it's annoying when you have the place to yourself (literally) and they shut it down...called today, they said 10p till sat

Heading up shortly for a few laps.

I'll be the tall guy (6'4") in a blue North Face jacket, black pants, either on my Watea 84s, or trying out some Mad Russian skis.

-w

Agree with SMJ, conditions were great out there this afternoon. Some of the best non pow-day conditions I have ever skied at Wachusett.

Glad to hear you're feeling better, SMJ.

I got in a quick 18 runs this afternoon.

Even managed to take a wrong turn at one point and do some glade skiing. Never done that at WaWa before.

Did learn something interesting:

I started skiing just before 3:00PM... At 4:05, I got the angry beep from the turnstile, and noticed that the little screen said that my pass was good from 12P - 4P or something like that... I went in to the base lodge to ask about it and found out that a "Day" on the Max pass is apparently only good for one 'session', either Open - 4PM or 4PM - close. In order to extend your pass through the end of the day, they normally charge you $15, as they can't charge your Max pass for two days on the same day.

Because no one had told me that previously, the girl working the counter extended my pass for me without charging me.

If I had known about that limitation, I would have either started skiing earlier or later... If I had found out about it when I went to get my lift ticket, I would have nursed a beer in the bar before heading out at 4:00.

So I'll keep that in mind for the rest of the season, should I find myself back at Wachusett.

Overall, really nice afternoon and was way better than sitting at my desk at work.

-w

• Like 1

Had a great family day today at the wa... Still edge to edge coverage, but now of the soft corn variety. Ralph's run was the pick of the day for me.

If I had to guess this is the last full week they'll stay open...8p closing through sat, 4p Sunday, and I would say weekends only through close mid/late April.

Been another great season at the wa!

In the past few years I see numerous weekdays of skiing at the Wa in April in my log.  My thinking is they'll stay open as many weekdays as the weather allows the first week of April and then maybe 3 or 4 days a week the 2nd week of April.

I talked to the woman in group sales and she said they'll be open until April 15th. They might shut down some weekdays depending on the weather.

I think this will be Wachusett's longest season (if you don't count that one day in May they opened after that Snowmagedon year! November 12th-April15th.

Heard today at Wa that this is the final week for weekday skiing.

Great likely final day today for me. Still midwinter conditions. 

Get out there tomorrow should still be good tho I’m confident today was pick of the week - only open til 8 tonight.

Y’all have a great summer!

Golf, tennis, lawn care and cruisin in my Mustang await!!!

Hope this thread and website gets more buzz next season!!

• Like 1

Stated schedule is the rest of this week through to Sunday.

Next week and the week after are Fri, Sat, Sun.  only.  So the 6,7,8th and 13,14,15th.

All subject to change of course.  Skied from 9-1:30 today and it was amazingly good.  Mid winter perfect packed powder until about 10:30 than a slow transition to beautiful carveable soft snow.

• Like 2

Oooh, then I might be able to squeeze one more day in.  Snow was great on Monday, but lesson learned-- if the ...umm... "elevation" coming down Conifer is making your ears pop, you should have stayed in bed. 

Conditions at Wawa were spectacular yesterday. I skied in the falling snow Friday afternoon and really think the conditions were better Saturday after they spread it around with the groomers. Can't believe this was April skiing!  Temps were cool and the snow didn't get spring soft until 2 or 3pm.