Sign in to follow this  
fcksummer

I need a new vehicle to get me to the mountains

The old Outlander is finito. Looking for something good in the snow obviously, decent gas mileage, good storage space and relatively hassle free. What does everyone recommend? 

The obvious choice is an Outback or Forester. Subarus are awesome in the winter and tick every box you mentioned - my 2010 is averaging just under 30 mountain and 31+ mpg highway.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Pebbles said:

The obvious choice is an Outback or Forester. Subarus are awesome in the winter and tick every box you mentioned - my 2010 is averaging just under 30 mountain and 31+ mpg highway.

Do not buy a  forester, our 2012 has been a nightmare, burns a quart of oil every thousand miles, sets off Check engine every time we fill the tank

Edited by thebigo

That's within spec - barely - for most brands (but obviously not ideal) and isn't an issue unique to Subaru. My Outback doesn't burn a noticable amount and has the same motor.

The Toyota Pick ups look pretty cool.......Tacoma or Tundra.The Chevy Colorado for pick up and or Traverse for suv.....

7 hours ago, Pebbles said:

That's within spec - barely - for most brands (but obviously not ideal) and isn't an issue unique to Subaru. My Outback doesn't burn a noticable amount and has the same motor.

The wife has put 25k on her 2015 rav4, does not burn oil. I am going Tacoma with the six speed manual when the forester finally dies.

I've put 40k miles of the 100k miles on my Outback. Likewise, no oil burn.

You're about equally likely to get a Toyota with a mechanical issue as a Subaru.

Anyone ever have an issue with timing belts on a Subaru? I heard around 90k-100k they start having issues.
That's the scheduled replacement mileage, and I believe is standard for most makes.

Some motors, Subaru 6 cylinder among them,have timing chains instead.

2 minutes ago, Pebbles said:

That's the scheduled replacement mileage, and I believe is standard for most makes.

Some motors, Subaru 6 cylinder among them,have timing chains instead.

I have had many vehicles (Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Dodge) with +175-200k and never had to replace one.

While not unique it is also not common. Mostly just Subaru and BMW. Subaru has a well documented history of mechanical problems — mostly oil burning and head gaskets. They always say they’ve fixed the problems in new cars, but it is not always true. These things start to creep up after a few years. What props up Subaru’s overall reliability ratings in that their vehicles are generally low tech so their is little to go wrong in the infotainment and electronics. Those bugs are what bedevil most manufacturers today.

Also avoid the RAV4. It’s AWD / traction control system is garbage. It shuts down power to all wheels much too aggressively. But for reliability it is bullet proof.

Did they ever fix the rust issues with Tacomas? Reliability and 4x4 is solid but I know the old frames were rusting and snapping in accidents.

Also avoid anything from Fiat / Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep / Ram / Alfa Romeo. Lots of good vehicles. Reliability is terrible.

Other than that, there are lots of good options. People love their Highlanders. If you want a basic vehicle that has good snow handling and lots of cargo capacity, it’s hard to be the Pilot. The Traverse used to be right up there, but they recently shrunk it.

I agree that a truck is a good solution except for the fuel efficiency side. But they’re a lot better than they used to be. My 2016 truck only averages 2 mpg less than my 2011 midsize crossover.

You’ll need to test out each brand to find your favorite. Avoid Ram due to reliability, but they do have the smoothest ride. Tundra will be the most reliable but most dated and low tech. Ford has the most high tech engine powertrain, but they resort to using the stereo system to mask the sound of the turbo 4-cylinder — not a real issue just emasculating. Most full size trucks ride as quiet as a luxury car.

I have a Silverado with the double cab and 6.5’ bed with a rolling hard cover. I can haul an entire quiver for two with me. The Chevy 4x4 system is top notch, and still have great fuel efficiency with their V8s.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

I have had many vehicles (Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Honda, Dodge) with +175-200k and never had to replace one.
Based on a Google search, the average replacement interval is between 60k and 100k miles recommended across brands.

Based on a Google search, the average replacement interval is between 60k and 100k miles recommended across brands.

Timing belts are a common wear and tear item. And that 60-100k interval is not unreasonable. You’ll know when you hear the squeal. It’s not a big ticket repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

49 minutes ago, Pebbles said:

I've put 40k miles of the 100k miles on my Outback. Likewise, no oil burn.

You're about equally likely to get a Toyota with a mechanical issue as a Subaru.

It is entirely possible that we got a lemon but having to disconnect the battery to activate the cruise control frequently after filling the tank is not normal. The Subaru clutch lasted 80k, i have had Nissan, Chevy and Mazda clutches last well over 200k. 

Not like a fan belt

The average cost for a Subaru Outback Timing Belt Replacement is between $685 and $920. Labor costs are estimated between $193 and $272 while parts are priced between $492 and $648. Estimate does not include taxes and fees.

60-80K is early for a timing belt but better to be safe than sorry if you have an interference engine. We will never own a Subaru again. The only decent thing about them is they are easy to work on. It is at 160k miles and goes through 2-3 quarts every thousand miles. The Subaru 2.5 engine is quite possibly one of the worst ever designed due to the head gaskets and piston rings. Subaru has dealt with multiple lawsuits and agreed to extend warranty plans on 2013-2015 Outbacks, Forester, Cross Treks, etc. due to the oil consumption problems. 2-3 year old vehicles were spinning bearings and needed new engines. The problems date back as long as they have been making the 2.5, people just finally got pissed about it. As with any car there are some decent ones, but I would avoid a Subaru.  

Edited by Flying Yeti
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Smellytele said:

Not like a fan belt

The average cost for a Subaru Outback Timing Belt Replacement is between $685 and $920. Labor costs are estimated between $193 and $272 while parts are priced between $492 and $648. Estimate does not include taxes and fees.

Given the type of engine, doing the water pump, tensioner, gaskets etc (because you cannot really just change the belt), you're looking at least $1000. The three quotes I got on the wife's were $1100-1300. I ended up doing it myself but it is a stressful and time consuming task.  

Edited by Flying Yeti

29 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Timing belts are a common wear and tear item. And that 60-100k interval is not unreasonable. You’ll know when you hear the squeal. It’s not a big ticket repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Timing belts don't squeal... Serpentine belts and fan belts do.

Timing belts get replaced before they pop...

Once they pop, you're stranded at the side of the road with an engine that doesn't do anything in a best case scenario (non-interference engine). Or, with a totally trashed head (interference engine).

1 minute ago, Flying Yeti said:

Given the type of engine, doing the water pump, tensioner, gaskets etc (because you cannot really just change the belt), you're looking at least $1000. The three quotes I got on the wife's were $1100-1300. I ended up doing it myself but it is a stressful and time consuming task.  

I've done one.

I won't do a second.

I'll pay someone to do it. I'm getting close on mine. (73k on the clock now).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WJenness said:

I've done one.

I won't do a second.

I'll pay someone to do it. I'm getting close on mine. (73k on the clock now).

"Are you sure you lined it up correctly?"

"I don't know, turn the key and pray!"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flying Yeti said:

"Are you sure you lined it up correctly?"

"I don't know, turn the key and pray!"

No whammy, no whammy...

giphy.gif

FTR: My one timing belt replacement was a success, but it just took WAYYY too long and caused too much stress.

Edited by WJenness

Also, in doing the driving side axle yesterday (its was due, no complaints there), I realized the head gaskets that were replaced at 75k under warranty are leaking again and there was little anti-freeze in the car. When head gaskets become maintenance every 75k miles, look elsewhere. Especially when the god damn engine is sideways. 

Image result for hey kid wanna buy some head gaskets