Sign in to follow this  
fcksummer

I need a new vehicle to get me to the mountains

43 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

Also, in doing the driving side axle yesterday (its was due, no complaints there), I realized the head gaskets that were replaced at 75k under warranty are leaking again and there was little anti-freeze in the car. When head gaskets become maintenance every 75k miles, look elsewhere. Especially when the god damn engine is sideways. 

Image result for hey kid wanna buy some head gaskets

I have a coworker who just bought a new Subaru. He was 100% serious when we defended them as reliable. He actually said that he just budgets on a head gasket replacement as a routine maintenance item.

Kia Sorento, Good on snow , Lock button for all wheel to drive in slippery conditions. Gas mileage not wonderful 16-18 mpg avg highway 20 ish . EX model has descent power , heated seats good towing capacity . 

My daily driver is a GMC 1500 extended cab. The next one will be the full crew cab. Plenty of bed space for the long road trips. The next alternate vehicle in the garage will be an 18 or 19 GMC Terrain SLT with the diesel engine. Supposed to get up to 39mpg highway. If it only gets 35 I'll be ecstatic.

2 minutes ago, MEtoVTskier said:

My daily driver is a GMC 1500 extended cab. The next one will be the full crew cab. Plenty of bed space for the long road trips. The next alternate vehicle in the garage will be an 18 or 19 GMC Terrain SLT with the diesel engine. Supposed to get up to 39mpg highway. If it only gets 35 I'll be ecstatic.

A few people I work with are having issues with their diesels this week with the cold. One guy said he went to get fuel last night and the diesel pumps were having issues.

I have a rav4 awd hybrid and so far is been really good in the snow. Much better than my legacy was before I put snow tires on it. I won't be putting snows on the Rav because I don't really need them. 

The subaru timing belt/chain needs to be changed before it breaks, otherwise it will destroy the engine. Also when you do that chain you also need to do the waterpump so it's a repair around $1200 for both. 

• Like 1

I will say this about Subaru having worked for them for the last 15 years. They without a doubt stand behind their product. I  had a problem with my headlights I had to change the bulbs every 5-6 months to the tune of around $80 each time. Subaru noticed there was a problem with my 2010 Legacy and sent me a refund for all my headlights with my receipts of course and warrantied the problem for a full 10 years. I also got a 25 check after my subaru had 3 recalls in its first month. I also got another refund notice if had to replace the engine. Even if the car has a problem if they know it's their fault they will usually warranty and return your money if you kept the receipts. The only reason I went to a toyota this time is because, I think the outback and forester are ugly and the crosstrek didn't have a power seat. I need my power seat. 

27 minutes ago, lsrocket26 said:

I will say this about Subaru having worked for them for the last 15 years. They without a doubt stand behind their product. 

We've had 3 subarus over the years, including 2 brand new models in the past 4 years (Forester and Crosstrek).  They've all had their pros and cons.  We still own a '15 Forrester and like it. I also liked the Crosstrek, just needed a change. And I would consider buying other Subarus in the future.  But to your specific point....that has been completely opposite of our experience!  We have been jerked around endlessly by 2 different dealers as well as Subaru HQ.  I would give them an F in terms of standing by their products.  I could go on for pages about the hassles and BS we've had with Subaru (think I did that on AZ once).   

As for the original question about ski recommendations:   

• We've been happy over the years in 3 different Subies (2 of hers, one of mine).  They have always got us there safely.  Although make sure you have good tires. They were using horrendous GeoLanders for awhile that pretty much negated the AWD.
  • I've mostly owned 4WD trucks. Tundra, Ram2500, Dakota, s-10, Nissan.   The fact of the matter is that pickups suck ass in icy highway conditions. I wrecked both the Tundra and the Dakota going to-from ski country.  
  • Currently driving a Ridgeline.  Only had it a year so far, but it's been a great combo of pickup and AWD car performance in ski country.  It runs in FWD until it slips then kicks into AWD.  So it addresses the pickup problem of being in rear wheel drive on the highway then suddenly finding yourself spinning on snow or ice.

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:

We've had 3 subarus over the years, including 2 brand new models in the past 4 years (Forester and Crosstrek).  They've all had their pros and cons.  We still own a '15 Forrester and like it. I also liked the Crosstrek, just needed a change. And I would consider buying other Subarus in the future.  But to your specific point....that has been completely opposite of our experience!  We have been jerked around endlessly by 2 different dealers as well as Subaru HQ.  I would give them an F in terms of standing by their products.  I could go on for pages about the hassles and BS we've had with Subaru (think I did that on AZ once).   

As for the original question about ski recommendations:   

• We've been happy over the years in 3 different Subies (2 of hers, one of mine).  They have always got us there safely.  Although make sure you have good tires. They were using horrendous GeoLanders for awhile that pretty much negated the AWD.
  • I've mostly owned 4WD trucks. Tundra, Ram2500, Dakota, s-10, Nissan.   The fact of the matter is that pickups suck ass in icy highway conditions. I wrecked both the Tundra and the Dakota going to-from ski country.  
  • Currently driving a Ridgeline.  Only had it a year so far, but it's been a great combo of pickup and AWD car performance in ski country.  It runs in FWD until it slips then kicks into AWD.  So it addresses the pickup problem of being in rear wheel drive on the highway then suddenly finding yourself spinning on snow or ice.

Did you miss her preface that she's worked for Subaru for the last 15 years? Might have something to do with it.

My truck has an auto 4x4 setting which works really well. Set it and forget it when conditions are variable. Only costs me 1 mpg vs rear wheel drive. Combined with GM's auto-locking rear diff I've been shocked at how well it works. I had an F-150 before this. The Ford limited slip diff was not nearly as good as GM's G80 locking diff. And the Ford didn't have the auto 4x4, but I think the new ones have them now.

Sorry Rocket, completely agree with Cannonball, the two Subaru stealerships I've dealt with are probably the worst of any dealership I've dealt with.

During the Takata issue they refused to give us a rental so we had to drive the Outback with no passengers for over 4 months while the airbag parts were "back ordered". The last time it was taken in for an oil change (they are free), they tried to tell me that the brakes needed to be done ASAP and gave an estimate of over $600 to just change pads. However, I literally done pads and rotors less than 10k miles prior. They just assumed it needed it due to the interval without actually looking at the damn thing. 

In terms of dealerships, it seems like individuals who go Ford have better things to say (other than Tasca). I will say the local Volvo people are pretty fantastic. 

I have had no issues with wife's Acura's , She leases so 3 years she gets a fresh one, but the little time we have had each there has been no issues, not the cheapest way but works for me. 

All you need to know about Subaru is their decades long head gasket problem on like 90% of their vehicles after 100K miles and refusal to recall that problem and instead treat it as a $2500+ routine maintenance fix. In my mind, there is no worse vehicle manufacturer in the past 20 years in terms of standing behind their product than Subaru

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

14 minutes ago, deadheadskier said:

All you need to know about Subaru is their decades long head gasket problem on like 90% of their vehicles after 100K miles and refusal to recall that problem and instead treat it as a $2500+ routine maintenance fix. In my mind, there is no worse vehicle manufacturer in the past 20 years in terms of standing behind their product than Subaru

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

So $1300 for a timing belt/water pump  plus $2500 for head gasket all around 100k. eek

6 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Did you miss her preface that she's worked for Subaru for the last 15 years? Might have something to do with it.

No, I didn't miss that.  I also noticed that she OWNS a Toyota.

I owned a 2002 WRX and loved that car. It never burned oil even at 127k when I sold it (and it had an ECU tune for 90k of those miles and saw the track half a dozen times).  We also owned a Legacy for 100k maintenance free miles.

However, I personally know of 4 friends with Subarus who had oil burning or head gasket issues. They all were ignored by the dealer and one actually resulted in an engine failure. After the engine replacement the car continued have problems until he gave up and traded the car in. I'm so disappointed in Subaru and used to recommend them. No more though.

I just traded in a Ford Escape that I had great luck with.  No issues in the 150k miles I put on it in about 4.5 years. The AWD with Nokian tires were great in snow if you drive within reason.  I didn't have the full Nokian snows, but the models that you can keep on all year that have the mountain snowflake designation.  Now I am driving a GMC Canyon (mechanical clone to the Colorado).  Driving up to the Upper Valley on Christmas on sloppy roads it was fine.  I just put in AWD drive mode for most of the trip and when I got to my house full in 4WD since our weekend place is off a steep hill on a dirt road with no issues.

10 hours ago, fcksummer said:

😪

Hey I can get you a good deal on a Rav 4, slightly blemished carfax but other than that she's good !!