Sign in to follow this  
Smellytele

Jan 2018

7 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

We need a more positive crowd around here. This weekend will not be a washout.

Definitely. The season is young. There's a good base. The conditions will temporarily be icy but will recover. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Weatherman said:

We need a more positive crowd around here. This weekend will not be a washout.

Ok, here's a silver lining...   Last weekend was DEEP, but the base is just pure fluff.  I was hitting rocks under 3-ft of snow.  We could actually use a little compaction of the base. 

5 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Ok, here's a silver lining...   Last weekend was DEEP, but the base is just pure fluff.  I was hitting rocks under 3-ft of snow.  We could actually use a little compaction of the base. 

Was thinking that myself. Had a few close calls with some snow snakes on last week at SR. Though their situation is a little different because the wind knocked down so many branches and stick shards it looks like a giant spit chewed up peanuts all over the woods.

Today was great at Attitash.  Hopeful that the warm temps/rain doesn’t do too much damage.  That being said, wunderground said that today was going to have 35mph winds.  Yeah, it was windy but nowhere near 35.  Fingers crossed they have it wrong about Friday’s rain.

• Like 1

oh my - another example of my little knowledge being dangerous - whiteface getting two feet now and rain turning to snow late Friday night in Northern NH and Sunday River: mountain-forecast.com

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

2 hours ago, VishDelish said:

oh my - another example of my little knowledge being dangerous - whiteface getting two feet now and rain turning to snow late Friday night in Northern NH and Sunday River: mountain-forecast.com

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

Another day in New England. Rain on Friday gives way to a mixed bag early Saturday morning. Three days of ice skating to follow.

@Weatherman, is there any hope for this weekend?  We have friends joining us this weekend and are committed to skiing on Saturday.  I figure even with the rain, it may be the best snow conditions of the weekend...

1 hour ago, SkiMom said:

@Weatherman, is there any hope for this weekend?  We have friends joining us this weekend and are committed to skiing on Saturday.  I figure even with the rain, it may be the best snow conditions of the weekend...

Plenty of hope. Where are you skiing? I expect the rain to give over to a mixed bag in the early morning Saturday. It'll be a toss-up on frozen precip after that point. Looks like mostly sleet in the daylight hours which I find to be perfectly skiable if you can still the sting in your face. It holds a great edge until it sets up overnight.

1 hour ago, Weatherman said:

Plenty of hope. Where are you skiing? I expect the rain to give over to a mixed bag in the early morning Saturday. It'll be a toss-up on frozen precip after that point. Looks like mostly sleet in the daylight hours which I find to be perfectly skiable if you can still the sting in your face. It holds a great edge until it sets up overnight.

Sunday's going to take some sharp edges in Central NH, isn't it?

Have plans to go to Gunstock with a friend.

Worried about the icing there, after the last incident took the Panorama (summit) lift down for 3+ days, IIRC.

-w

36 minutes ago, WJenness said:

Sunday's going to take some sharp edges in Central NH, isn't it?

Have plans to go to Gunstock with a friend.

Worried about the icing there, after the last incident took the Panorama (summit) lift down for 3+ days, IIRC.

-w

Yes, sharpen your edges for this weekend. Sunday and Monday are going to be fast and firm.

26 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Yes, sharpen your edges for this weekend. Sunday and Monday are going to be fast and firm.

That's what she said.

Edited by Puck it

3 hours ago, Weatherman said:

We'll be at Bretton Woods since so many of the kids joining us have passes there.  I finally got my 4-year-old to agree to a lesson on Saturday (since his friend will be taking one too), so we are going!  I have a feeling he'll be skiing more in his lesson than the rest of us will be...

1 hour ago, Smellytele said:

NWS is now showing:

showing 5-11 at Jay

stowe 3-9

Wildcat 3-5

Cannon is forecasting 6-10" for themselves.  Although I don't see that on a single forecasting site. 

• Like 1

Cut and paste from mount snow, foot and a Half?

"While Saturday is going to be icy, we’ll be back delivering some of the best snow on the East Coast, that you have all come to know and expect from us. Looking forward we’ve got snow on the horizon for Tuesday and Wednesday of next week, with over a foot and a half predicted as of right now."