Sign in to follow this  
kdaffy

16/17 mid fat reviews

4 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

We've got some high roller here. Stockli and Kastle buddies.

i try to tell myself they are good investments, my buddies try to let my bride know that I wanted to make sure that they get my ski's immediately upon my demise!! 

i try to tell myself they are good investments, my buddies try to let my bride know that I wanted to make sure that they get my ski's immediately upon my demise!! 

I am as fanatic as they come on this point and I am not so sure. I marry my boots and date my skis. I previously has Kastle MX78s, but they were not for hangover days.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Not sure if it is "mid fat" but got to try out @MadRussian's Dozer 95-185 last week, let's just say it was so good I will be on it for my new daily driver next year. I was a little worried it would take some runs to get used to it because I've been on 110 waisted skis all year but it was instant magic. Despite the warm weather there were some pretty frozen/hard pack spots and hard bumps on Skyelark and SS Headwall. It was able to stick and cut so well without slipping or the tails washing out. I'm excited to try it on less than optimal conditions next year. My buddy who was there was on Kastle 94s was having a tough time and having to ski the less bumped/softer sections because the Kastle's would just slide out on him. Went over to the Dozer and was able to put the hammer down and ski whatever/however he wanted. He will also be having a pair built.

@MadRussian was building some pretty good skis a couple years ago, I dont know what the hell he does or what he improved on but the Dozer is probably the best ski I've ever tried out. Very comfortable in moguls, carving, in the slush, hard stuff, and easy to land on.Looking forward to skiing on it next year. Definitely worth trying it and some of his others out next year if you can. 

Edited by Flying Yeti

46 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

Not sure if it is "mid fat" but got to try out @MadRussian's Dozer 95-185 last week, let's just say it was so good I will be on it for my new daily driver next year. I was a little worried it would take some runs to get used to it because I've been on 110 waisted skis all year but it was instant magic. Despite the warm weather there were some pretty frozen/hard pack spots and hard bumps on Skyelark and SS Headwall. It was able to stick and cut so well without slipping or the tails washing out. I'm excited to try it on less than optimal conditions next year. My buddy who was there was on Kastle 94s was having a tough time and having to ski the less bumped/softer sections because the Kastle's would just slide out on him. Went over to the Dozer and was able to put the hammer down and ski whatever/however he wanted. He will also be having a pair built.

@MadRussian was building some pretty good skis a couple years ago, I dont know what the hell he does or what he improved on but the Dozer is probably the best ski I've ever tried out. Very comfortable in moguls, carving, in the slush, hard stuff, and easy to land on.Looking forward to skiing on it next year. Definitely worth trying it and some of his others out next year if you can. 

I have about 18 days on mine and couldn't agree more. I detuned the tips and tails a bit and changed to schizo bindings and can really dial them in. Hard pack days I'll slide back 1cm for better grip, soft fresh days back 1cm and they pivot much better and are playful. This is a big change from earlier in the season when I was having difficulty with them. Just couldn't get a good feel for them. Nothing compared to his 110s which, as you know, absolutely blew me away. Mishka is making great stuff for sure. 

Not sure if it is "mid fat" but got to try out [mention=32]MadRussian[/mention]'s Dozer 95-185 last week, let's just say it was so good I will be on it for my new daily driver next year. I was a little worried it would take some runs to get used to it because I've been on 110 waisted skis all year but it was instant magic. Despite the warm weather there were some pretty frozen/hard pack spots and hard bumps on Skyelark and SS Headwall. It was able to stick and cut so well without slipping or the tails washing out. I'm excited to try it on less than optimal conditions next year. My buddy who was there was on Kastle 94s was having a tough time and having to ski the less bumped/softer sections because the Kastle's would just slide out on him. Went over to the Dozer and was able to put the hammer down and ski whatever/however he wanted. He will also be having a pair built.
[mention=32]MadRussian[/mention] was building some pretty good skis a couple years ago, I dont know what the hell he does or what he improved on but the Dozer is probably the best ski I've ever tried out. Very comfortable in moguls, carving, in the slush, hard stuff, and easy to land on.Looking forward to skiing on it next year. Definitely worth trying it and some of his others out next year if you can. 

I will be making a pair mist likely in the fall.  Probably something in the 100-110 underfoot with rocker camber rocker.

That 100-110 width range is popular for a reason. I find them very versatile in the ungroomed. I am currently on the market for a new powder ski. I am thinking about Icelantic Nomads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

4 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

That 100-110 width range is popular for a reason. I find them very versatile in the ungroomed. I am currently on the market for a new powder ski. I am thinking about Icelantic Nomads.

I have a pair of the very first Nomads when the longest was 168cm. They were good in powder but suck on groomers.  The one thing that I loved was how hard the bases were.  I never had any core shots with them.

7 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

The Russian 110s are absolute beasts and were my daily's this year. Put about 40 days on them. I would really try them out if I were you, they are so damn light it is incredible. One thing I love is if poaching a run or in low tide they run on top very well. In Oct-Nov I was going down East Fall, Cascade, Double Dipper, etc. at K on 8-10" of snow (no base) and not hitting bottom. 

14 hours ago, Brad J said:

you got those from Scott?? I have gotten a couple pairs of Kastles from him. good guy and good deals

Yep, hes great to work with and tends to give some unbeatable pricing if you catch the timing right.

11 hours ago, Flying Yeti said:

thank you

MR95 Dozers  has significant differences in ski construction compared to original MR110 build. Dozers was specifically designed as a daily driver.

Well original 110 is a relatively stiff ( compared to similar size skis)  MR110 FlyingYety stiffer and stiffer torsationly. MR95 Dozers build with mad wisdom to define conventional wisdom in ski designs. To start  ... skis stiffer than most skis with metal yet easy to ski. Torsationl stiffness probably on par with race skis without a race ski feel. Few changes had to be made to MR110 FlyingYety construction.

some pictures probably in order.

11.jpg

10 hours ago, Weatherman said:

it depends who you ask  lol some people don't see any reason/sans/need to own anything over 85--90mm

I started to work on new pow ski design for 17/18 season

Curious if a hardpack ski is ever a thought for the Mad Russian? Thinking 65-80 mm underfoot stiff ice/race slayer..... Curious as to thoughts on this demo?

So far the popular winning skis have generally been 90-110 all mtn skis. Curious if any plans to diversify into different areas?

Sent from my XT1254 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

4 minutes ago, xwhaler said:

Curious if a hardpack ski is ever a thought for the Mad Russian? Thinking 65-80 mm underfoot stiff ice/race slayer..... Curious as to thoughts on this demo?

So far the popular winning skis have generally been 90-110 all mtn skis. Curious if any plans to diversify into different areas?

Sent from my XT1254 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

yes and no. I had narrow ski designs build 80  86 and 87 underfoot  skis I build preform well on hard pack so personally I did not find need 65-80 skis. That said Mr95 Dozers can be built in 85 underfoot. Maybe even narrower with some modifications to ski design. Do you want to see how they will looks?

Diversification lol I don't need to. All skis build to order… Nobody yet asked for 65--80 skis

@MadRussian I think a great ski would be something with the F17 classic sidecut scaled up to about 85-90 under foot.  Soft tips for absorbing bumps, no rocker, plenty of camber.  I like skis that are cambered and energetic.

1 hour ago, BumpOut said:

@MadRussian I think a great ski would be something with the F17 classic sidecut scaled up to about 85-90 under foot.  Soft tips for absorbing bumps, no rocker, plenty of camber.  I like skis that are cambered and energetic.

this why I do what I do… Build individual skis not the production model… Lot more fun this way. We all have different definition of perfect skis.

I already done that. Not 85--90 but close enough MR80

in my experience  stiffness is individual preferences and usually dialed in different design process

in the picture which have one ski of most designs I built. MR-80 second from the left

5.jpg

3 minutes ago, MadRussian said:

this why I do what I do… Build individual skis not the production model… Lot more fun this way. We all have different definition of perfect skis.

I already done that. Not 85--90 but close enough MR80

in my experience  stiffness is individual preferences and usually dialed in different design process

in the picture which have one ski of most designs I built. MR-80 second from the left

5.jpg

I'd love to see a pic of that ski on a flat surface with the brake up and out of the way so I can see the camber. 

I'll have to ski it at some point if you still have it!

1 hour ago, BumpOut said:

I'd love to see a pic of that ski on a flat surface with the brake up and out of the way so I can see the camber. 

I'll have to ski it at some point if you still have it!

here view you want.

I don't think so iirc it was MR87 you tried

I should have them for a while until I build replacement

9.jpg

13 minutes ago, deadheadskier said:

What are the dimensions for the second ski from the right. It looks to have too much sidecut for what Bumpout wants. I'm interested in a similar ski. A bump focused all mountain ski as opposed to a carving focused ski. Something like 120-85-110

Sent from my XT1565 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

dimensions on second from the right 120 – 80 – 110. Cost from the right is 120 – 87 – 110 by then ski have big front rocker.

You would probably do well on MR95 dozers same one I built for Brian… you ski with him at wildcat. Or 95 can be trimmed down close to dimensions you mentioned and maintain same design

The 120-87-110 would closer fit the profile. Minimal to no rocker and lots of camber though.

I actually probably want something narrower than Bumpout as based upon conversations we've shared, he's looking for something that does well in bumps and deeper snow. I'm more looking for a balance between carving and bumps.

The best dimensions I've ever skied in an "all mountain" ski that performed well in bumps were my old Rossi BX. They were like 114-70-107. They were a cap construction though without vertical sidewalls, which made them kind of suck on hardpack.

wish you could try 95s. Progressive rocker in those work well as a daily driver and they are works well in bumps for stiff 95 under the foot skis. carving they will work well.

Let's talk details to figure out right dimensions.

Yeah, that too big for what I'm looking for. I find my Nordica Steadfasts to be just about the perfect east coast all mountain ski for how how I ski. 132-90-118, camber with slight tip rocker and a square tail. It's by far the best all around ski I've ever owned. I wish I bought a second pair to cellar for when I eventually kill them. Only complaint is they are a little stiff to really zip bumps properly. That same stiffness probably benefits the ski though in how well it carves and holds on ice when properly tuned.

I want to go much smaller, livilier and quicker edge to edge for a hardpack ski that also excels in moguls. A ski for the days that there's zero fresh snow and the trees are off limits.

The mainstream ski that has my greatest attention (haven't skied it though) is the Head irally. However at 135, 76, 114 - it's just too wide in the shovel. If it were 120 and same construction, I think it would be perfect.