Sign in to follow this  
MimersG

Hunter Mountain Expansion project discussion

I finally found the maps for the announced expansion project at Hunter and figured it was worth a discussion.

For the 2018-19 ski season they are expected to add 3 wide and 2 narrow long blue trails ( something they don't really have elsewhere on the mountain) off of a ~1100 vertical high speed six person chairlift being fed from a new access road and 250 space parking lot connected by bridge to the lift along with a drop off area and space for a future lodge ( although there are no lodges included in the plans for next year). It is also of note that this is phase 1 of a multiple part expansion. 

Image_cont_9f9d912c8b5aefe94cb7d2ca6b852Image_cont_42ac31889b7c3ca45c67cf60c155c

once again Peak Resorts ignore 's the need to replace The triple at Attitash and does a major upgrade at another resort !!!!!!!!

26 minutes ago, Brad J said:

once again Peak Resorts ignore 's the need to replace The triple at Attitash and does a major upgrade at another resort !!!!!!!!

I'm *shocked*!

13 hours ago, Brad J said:

Lol. This expansion will probably make them wayyyy more money than a HSQ st Tash ever will. From what I understand about Hunter, it is pretty much at capacity in terms of intermediate skiers due to crowds. Add more terrain and parking and I bet they'll see a significant bump in skier visits and pass sales.

Its like adding a lane to a city highway, it doesn't reduce rush hour traffic, it just puts more cars on the road (in certain cases).

Adding more trails Hunter won't reduce crowding, it'll just add more skiers.

1 hour ago, Jully said:

From what I understand about Hunter, it is pretty much at capacity in terms of intermediate skiers due to crowds.

At capacity? They passed that a long time ago. they have 40 injuries a day and had to buy an ambulance to take them away.  Belt Parkway, there most popular blue, was my most difficult run I can remember, due to the abundance of bad skiers and ice. 

3 hours ago, Benski said:

At capacity? They passed that a long time ago. they have 40 injuries a day and had to buy an ambulance to take them away.  Belt Parkway, there most popular blue, was my most difficult run I can remember, due to the abundance of bad skiers and ice. 

Are you joking about the ambulance? That would be incredible.

I've skied Belt Parkway early December when only that and one other trail were open...but u had to take Belt to get to the other one.

To say it was terrifying would be an understatement. I'm lucky I was not one of the ones taken away in an ambulance that day.

1 hour ago, xwhaler said:

I've skied Belt Parkway early December when only that and one other trail were open...but u had to take Belt to get to the other one.

To say it was terrifying would be an understatement. I'm lucky I was not one of the ones taken away in an ambulance that day.

Luckily for those of us who ski here, Peak has been doing a much better job with snowmaking and grooming than the old owners. This year the opened trails much faster than any year in recent memory as well. On weekdays it's really not that bad, today with the snowstorm was empty.

8 hours ago, Jully said:

Lol. This expansion will probably make them wayyyy more money than a HSQ st Tash ever will. From what I understand about Hunter, it is pretty much at capacity in terms of intermediate skiers due to crowds. Add more terrain and parking and I bet they'll see a significant bump in skier visits and pass sales.

Its like adding a lane to a city highway, it doesn't reduce rush hour traffic, it just puts more cars on the road (in certain cases).

Adding more trails Hunter won't reduce crowding, it'll just add more skiers.

That is a self fulfilling prophecy, Attitash would recover there ski revenue if they replaced either the existing triple or the mothballed double. That one lift is dragging lift ticket sales to a point that it may not recover . BW is the big winner of Peak resorts complacency. I was there last Saturday and the traffic east on 302 was the most I have ever seen as I was driving west on 302and I do not think that they were site seeing at Crawford Notch. The fact is peak resorts is squeezing every dollar out of Attitash and sending it to VT and now NY. They are way understaffed because opening so late the lost a lot of employees all leading to a subpar experience which will bring subpar revenue. "Business as in life you deep what you sow"

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Brad J said:

That is a self fulfilling prophecy, Attitash would recover there ski revenue if they replaced either the existing triple or the mothballed double. That one lift is dragging lift ticket sales to a point that it may not recover . BW is the big winner of Peak resorts complacency. I was there last Saturday and the traffic east on 302 was the most I have ever seen as I was driving west on 302and I do not think that they were site seeing at Crawford Notch. The fact is peak resorts is squeezing every dollar out of Attitash and sending it to VT and now NY. They are way understaffed because opening so late the lost a lot of employees all leading to a subpar experience which will bring subpar revenue. "Business as in life you deep what you sow"

Definitely agree. It is a shame because Attitash could definitely be doing better. Peaks won't install the HSQ because they don't see the ROI because they aren't putting in effort in the 'small things' like opening the resort and snowmaking haha. Very much the runt of the red headed step children that are the NH Peak areas.

The 3 main new intermediate trails are already taking shape along with the lift line, the mountain already looks much less bare.Image may contain: mountain, sky, cloud, plant, tree, outdoor and nature

Quick update: trails and liftline are fully cut.

Snow guns have arrived as well and are 20+ SMI Fan gun towers all automated. 

lift foundations are currently being poured

Interesting things of note: They blasted the area around the top of the lift as to re route both belt parkway and white cloud for easier disembarking of the lift. 

Upper Way Out has been widened.

Middle belt parkway (between way out and drop off) has been significantly regraded and widened through blast work

Edited by MimersG
I'm dumb

I saw those trails today from 23a. They look like they are a little steep. Also hunter is making snow on 1 top to bottom route and another upper mountain route.

7 hours ago, Benski said:

I saw those trails today from 23a. They look like they are a little steep. Also hunter is making snow on 1 top to bottom route and another upper mountain route.

2 top to bottom routes now. But yeah the new slopes even though they are blues are more like way out and belt parkway than the lower mountain blues from what I can tell. Should be fun though as the snowguns on overlook are spaced pretty close for super polecats, they are definintly planning something with it. 

2 hours ago, MimersG said:

2 top to bottom routes now. But yeah the new slopes even though they are blues are more like way out and belt parkway than the lower mountain blues from what I can tell. Should be fun though as the snowguns on overlook are spaced pretty close for super polecats, they are definintly planning something with it. 

What are you thinking of a terrain park or just a way to open that lift quickly.