Catherine

Bomb Cyclone

28 minutes ago, Catherine said:

That article uses double superlative media buzz words. Bomb cyclone and a polar vortex! An exploding storm!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Catherine said:

So, over-hyped or are we in for a hell of a storm?

I'm looking at a blog entry tonight. Storm yes. But not the end of times.

Being a DC area resident I read that weatherman' stuff a lot in the Wash Post.  There is a lot of hyperbole there for a six inch snowstorm, mostly offshore and missing most Eastern cities.  Sounds like some seashore locations could get some battering winds.  I will tell you that the Potomac River around DC is mostly frozen over at this time.  That only happens every few years.

13 hours ago, Weatherman said:

That article uses double superlative media buzz words. Bomb cyclone and a polar vortex! An exploding storm!

It's like Michael Bay is a weatherman.

Digesting the latest guidance right now. Looks like another westward shift. And the 3 km NAM is especially interesting. May have to wait until after work to really dig in. At first glance it looks like the model is keying in on some sleet working in.

• Like 2

For purposes of skiing this storm is fantastic. However, heavy winds with snow to take down power lines and trees followed by dangerous cold could leave many people in trouble and lots of homes in need of new plumbing and heating systems. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flying Yeti said:

For purposes of skiing this storm is fantastic. However, heavy winds with snow to take down power lines and trees followed by dangerous cold could leave many people in trouble and lots of homes in need of new plumbing and heating systems. 

And heating fuel companies aren’t able to keep up with deliveries.  Even if you keep power, lots of people are in for a rough ride.

We pre-positioned at Cannon for this and excited for Thurs afternoon and Friday morning.  Meanwhile we are keeping our fingers crossed for our house on South Shore of MA.  3' of storm surge flirts with our property. The winds and sleet will be a significant factor in terms of downed trees and powerlines.  Can't wait to shovel back into that frozen disaster!

Side note:  Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the deciduous trees never lost their leaves this year?  They went brown but never quite dropped.  Is this my imagination?  I'm thinking that this could be an additional unaccounted for element of downed limbs/trees during this storm. 

1 hour ago, Catherine said:

And heating fuel companies aren’t able to keep up with deliveries.  Even if you keep power, lots of people are in for a rough ride.

This. I called out heating company for a refill Tuesday morning when they opened and it took me over an hour to get through due to their call volume. I was on 30% when I called to try to get a jump on it and they said maybe not until next week. 

16 minutes ago, Smellytele said:

We had our propane delivery today. Auto delivery but still had 200 gallons left

Glad to hear it.  I think the fuel companies are taking care of their auto delivery clients well.  We should be good too.  Now all I need is to get is a generator.  (When I win the lottery)

Even though my tank was still half full, I put in a call for a delivery on 12/26. I figured it might be several days, but they delivered that same afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

I had no idea about the heating oil. My company *always* delivers same or next day if you order by 5am of the delivery day. Their website still says this is the promise. *shrug*

35 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

I had no idea about the heating oil. My company *always* delivers same or next day if you order by 5am of the delivery day. Their website still says this is the promise. *shrug*

Good friend is out and her company is saying Tuesday...

2 hours ago, Catherine said:

Glad to hear it.  I think the fuel companies are taking care of their auto delivery clients well.  We should be good too.  Now all I need is to get is a generator.  (When I win the lottery)

I have a generator but I can't run everything in my house on it. Also would like to get a propane one so I can run it off my large tank that can also power the whole house.

12 minutes ago, Smellytele said:

I have a generator but I can't run everything in my house on it. Also would like to get a propane one so I can run it off my large tank that can also power the whole house.

I don’t need much, just my heat and septic would be nice.  Maybe the refrigerator.  

10 hours ago, Catherine said:

I don’t need much, just my heat and septic would be nice.  Maybe the refrigerator.  

We have a Honda EU3000iS. We have gas hot water and two Rinnai direct vent furnaces. It's enough to run those, the fridge, and a couple of lamps. It's not as convenient as a whole house generator, especially when it's -10F out, but it does the job.

I called on Tuesday AM first thing and best I could get after trying multiple companies was a Friday delivery. I am not and will not ever be on an auto program because I want to decide when I need oil not a company who wants to bill me.
I pay COD and have a stable of approx 6-8 companies I buy from depending on price and min gallon requirements.

Currently down to just below 1/4 so as long as the storm today doesn't disrupt deliveries today too much should be ok with delivery tomorrow. Keeping heat low of course this week

1 hour ago, 2manyhobbies said:

We have a Honda EU3000iS. We have gas hot water and two Rinnai direct vent furnaces. It's enough to run those, the fridge, and a couple of lamps. It's not as convenient as a whole house generator, especially when it's -10F out, but it does the job.

Nice set up ! I dont have a generator at this house, last house had a Honda em5000 wired into the house. from the day we had it installed we never lost power again.

So now facing this storm I can see it  going this way......lose power and running out trying to find one......luckily hondas are usually the last to sell out as no one wants to drop 2-3k on a generator.

hope it doesnt happen but with my luck....ya it will

1 hour ago, xwhaler said:

I called on Tuesday AM first thing and best I could get after trying multiple companies was a Friday delivery. I am not and will not ever be on an auto program because I want to decide when I need oil not a company who wants to bill me.
I pay COD and have a stable of approx 6-8 companies I buy from depending on price and min gallon requirements.

Currently down to just below 1/4 so as long as the storm today doesn't disrupt deliveries today too much should be ok with delivery tomorrow. Keeping heat low of course this week

Just below 1/4 should easily get you at least week. At least it would in my house. We burn three tanks per year.

1 hour ago, Weatherman said:

Just below 1/4 should easily get you at least week. At least it would in my house. We burn three tanks per year.

Would rather not take any chances with the super cold coming this wknd and the chance my oil delivery does not happen tomorrow.
I just got 10 gallons of Diesel fuel and poured that down the oil fill which helps a bit. Did some reading and Diesel is the same stuff as #2 HH Oil the only difference being Diesel is taxed for over the road usage and HH Oil is dyed pink to prevent truckers from skirting the tax.

• Like 1