xwhaler

Wildcat 17-18 Season Thread

Never too early to kick this off I suppose. Discuss any off season improvements

Looking fwd to getting in 15-20 days at the Cat next yr on my Peaks pass

The two things I heard this winter:

Replace the snowmaking pipe on Cheetah, which had failed this winter.  A capital request had been submitted for this along with regrading and opening up the entrance so you can drop straight in like you can on Bobcat.  I have mixed emotions on this.  Cheetah skied pretty sweet as a natural snow trail this winter. That said, you can't count on having as good of natural snowfall every year and it's nice to have that trail open to diversify the Bobcat pod when it's snowmaking terrain only.  The other possible benefit of returning Cheetah to a groomer is it will drive more natural snow seekers to Wildcat Pitch / Lower Wildcat.  The increased traffic might make for better bumps on that trail as opposed to spreading the traffic between those trails and Cheetah.  We shall see if Peaks issues the funds and the USFS approves the regrading.

The other thing I heard is that they will be employing a glade maintenance crew again this summer.  Last summer they did not due to financial reasons. Now whether this means only maintaining what they have or expanding the acreage I do not know.  I thought what they already have was in great shape this season, so hopefully it means new work.  (Skiers left of Lower Lynx please) All work being done will be below the elevation of Cat Walk due to the USFS having a hardon for protecting the habitat of some mythical bird.

Ah yes, off season improvements... I asked and was told that everything was just at the request to corporate stage. Some things, like new rental skis and some more snow guns, are barely worth noting.

As @deadheadskier already mentioned, new air pipe and hydrants on Cheetah is the big request. They had a bad accident with the snowmaking crew on Cheetah this year. One of the air hydrants popped off and struck a crew member in the face. He was seriously injured, and after that they walked away from Cheetah and left it to mother nature. Wildcat management now considers it a safety issue and won't touch that trail without new infrastructure. That is the main reason they ended up blowing on both Black Cat and Starr Line this year.

The other big item they asked for is a new deck on the lodge. They've been routinely replacing a lot of those boards every year, and they think the time has come for a complete replacement.

Oh yeah one other thing.  The snowmaking budget for Cheetah this past winter was reallocated to Black Cat and Starr Line.  That was really great to have and I'll take the snowmaking on those trails over Cheetah every year.  At minimum Black Cat needs to see snowmaking every season.  Without it, Wildcat offers minimal challenge on snowmaking terrain.  

19 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

As @deadheadskier

The other big item they asked for is a new deck on the lodge. They've been routinely replacing a lot of those boards every year, and they think the time has come for a complete replacement.

They should definitely put in a new deck......On the Washington side of the building as part of Linda's request for a new bar on the Jackson side of the building.  Having more bar seats, taps and an expanded outdoor viewing area of Washington would be fantastic.

Outside of the construction costs the only argument I see against it is the Jackson end of the upstairs currently offers the largest space for private groups/functions.

Speaking of functions, I'll be interested to hear if they book many outdoor weddings/events this summer.  Last summer they regraded the area next to the quad to accommodate an events tent.  I hope that helps increase summer revenue to improve the mountain's overall fiscal health.

Edited by deadheadskier

Just now, deadheadskier said:

They should definitely put in a new deck......On the Washington side of the building as part of Linda's request for a new bar on the Jackson side of the building.  Having more bar seats, taps and an expanded outdoor viewing area of Washington would be fantastic.

Outside of the construction costs the only argument I see against it is the Jackson end of the upstairs currently offers the largest space for private groups/functions.

Speaking of functions, I'll be interested to hear if they book many outdoor weddings/events this summer.  Last summer the regraded the area next to the quad to accommodate an events tent.  I hope that helps increase summer revenue to improve the mountain's overall fiscal health.

I'm a big supporter of Linda's bar plans. She's been asking for years and I haven't seen any indication that it will ever happen. As fall approaches I am going to start one of those "Ask Me Anything" series with mountain managers. The AttiCat management is at the top of my list, and we can ask them then.

Wedding at Wildcat were a topic of discussion last weekend. Short answer to your question: 12 weddings are currently booked for this off-season at Wildcat.

1 hour ago, Weatherman said:

I'm a big supporter of Linda's bar plans. She's been asking for years and I haven't seen any indication that it will ever happen. As fall approaches I am going to start one of those "Ask Me Anything" series with mountain managers. The AttiCat management is at the top of my list, and we can ask them then.

Wedding at Wildcat were a topic of discussion last weekend. Short answer to your question: 12 weddings are currently booked for this off-season at Wildcat.

The AZ challenges were what drew me to AlpineZone originally. I'd love to see that done here.

The number 1 improvement I would like to see this year is just to blow snow on Black Cat and Starr again. I thought I heard a few years ago that the pipe on those two trails was old and that was why they did not blow on them? I was surprised when they did this year.

Any knowledge on how the Cat did financially this year? Did the new pass structure help or hurt them? They had power outages and lift issues on a few key days, so I hope that didn't result in a lot of lost money and reputation. 

8 hours ago, Weatherman said:

As @deadheadskier already mentioned, new air pipe and hydrants on Cheetah is the big request. They had a bad accident with the snowmaking crew on Cheetah this year. One of the air hydrants popped off and struck a crew member in the face. He was seriously injured, and after that they walked away from Cheetah and left it to mother nature. Wildcat management now considers it a safety issue and won't touch that trail without new infrastructure. That is the main reason they ended up blowing on both Black Cat and Starr Line this year.

So that's the reason Cheetah was left to bump up? I've enjoyed that trail a lot this season, too bad it's due to someone getting hurt.

6 hours ago, Jully said:

They had power outages and lift issues on a few key days, so I hope that didn't result in a lot of lost money and reputation. 

Speaking of power outages, what happens to people stuck on the chair at the time it happens?

One simple job I would like to be done is trim the shrubs/twigs in the glade between Cougar and Panther. That glade would be skiable sooner if they cleaned those up.

Edited by nemesis256

1 hour ago, nemesis256 said:

Speaking of power outages, what happens to people stuck on the chair at the time it happens?

At least the Express Quad has a diesel backup. Not sure about fixed grips.

I unfortunately will not be able to attend Saturdays closing.

Going by what I saw last week and factoring the wet we had this week I imagine its going to be pretty dicey. With the exception of Catatpult the top was a mess. Down low the snow was more consistent and deeper. It would almost make sense to spin Tomcat vs the quad but I'm sure they pushed things around to make it work for one day.

They put in a lot of effort to open today. Only route off the top is Upper Catapult detoured under the lift to the bottom of Upper Lynx. And that he running water down the middle of Upper Catapult. I just got banged up pulling a superman down the middle of the running brook. Beer time!

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

1 hour ago, Weatherman said:

I am limping around the lodge but will take one more run to document this for you. Maybe two to show both ways down.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

You need to do the old Tin trick, pound multiple high ABV beers in about 20 minutes and send it down the gnarliest terrain there. Just ask @Infinite Dreams about it.

They put in a lot of effort to open today. Only route off the top is Upper Catapult detoured under the lift to the bottom of Upper Lynx. And that he running water down the middle of Upper Catapult. I just got banged up pulling a superman down the middle of the running brook. Beer time!

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

Pic or it didn't happen! Lol! Obviously your ok or you wouldn't have posted but dang!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app