xwhaler

Wildcat 17-18 Season Thread

1 hour ago, deadheadskier said:

Wildcat just released video of Cheetah getting new snowmaking pipe. Doesn't appear they are doing the regrading project of the entrance as Mountain ops had hoped for. I imagine that project probably would take years to get the USFS to agree to

Sent from my XT1565 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Would Wildcat consider making Upper Catapault/Middle Wildcat to Cheetah the 2nd (or possibly 1st) route to open? IIRC the order has been Lynx, Polecat, then they move to the other side.

With Bobcat getting new pipe would they consider getting to that side of the hill quicker?

Maybe, but I doubt it. The Catapult down to Bobcat might require a bit more snow than Lynx blowing edge to edge. Having Lynx enables them to open Polecat in sections as well. Early season when bored out of your mind skiing Lynx, having them quickly bring Upper Polecat online is nice for a bit of variety.

7 minutes ago, deadheadskier said:

Maybe, but I doubt it. The Catapult down to Bobcat might require a bit more snow than Lynx blowing edge to edge. Having Lynx enables them to open Polecat in sections as well. Early season when bored out of your mind skiing Lynx, having them quickly bring Upper Polecat online is nice for a bit of variety.

I was sorta thinking if they got Bobcat open early the racers could all congregate there...its a better trail for gate training compared to Lynx and it would free up some space for the general public on Lynx.

12 minutes ago, xwhaler said:

I was sorta thinking if they got Bobcat open early the racers could all congregate there...its a better trail for gate training compared to Lynx and it would free up some space for the general public on Lynx.

They used to open Lower Catapult first before they had the capacity to blow top-to-bottom. Now Lynx is the obvious play for a number of reasons:

• it is just about everybody's favorite trail
  • it connects in with Polecat to get novice terrain online earlier
  • it's off the Tomcat Triple which gives them a backup lift

2 hours ago, deadheadskier said:

Wildcat just released video of Cheetah getting new snowmaking pipe. Doesn't appear they are doing the regrading project of the entrance as Mountain ops had hoped for. I imagine that project probably would take years to get the USFS to agree to

Look forward to Bobcat opening every year for that reason. I just think Polecat is a huge priority for them being perhaps their signature trail. It's good for marketing early season when they can stake claim to a 2.75 mile novice run covering 2100 vertical feet.

I realize its totally needed but I had some good times skiing cheetah as a natural trail last winter.

I did as well. It was ROTD more than once. No doubt it was a nightmare other days for the same reasons.

Cheetah was definitely great much of last season as an all natural trail.

I think one of the benefits of having it as a snowmaking groomer trail is that it forces people looking for natural snow on that side of the hill all onto Lower Wildcat. More traffic = better bumps.

Saw Wildcat is getting a speciality kolsch for the bar by Tuckerman's for their 60th season.
Yeah, I commented on that announcement on Facebook that they really should focus on getting a decent IPA on draft. I've made that opinion known since it became my home hill five years ago.

Breaks my heart they have just about the shittiest draft beer selection of any place I've skied in New England. Doesn't stop me from filling my club mug multiple times every visit, but I wish management would listen to Heather and Linda and offer better product.

Yesterday was rough... death cookies up top. Bottom was soft, but visibility under the guns was not great.

Today was much better. They groomed out the top much better, and the guns got shut off at 12:30ish. The afternoon was dry skiing, and the snow at the bottom stayed soft enough.

Coverage on Upper Lynx is okay but could be better. Middle and especially Lower Lynx is buried. Plenty of snow down low. As of this afternoon they were turning on the guns on Upper Polecat.

Yesterday was rough... death cookies up top. Bottom was soft, but visibility under the guns was not great.
Today was much better. They groomed out the top much better, and the guns got shut off at 12:30ish. The afternoon was dry skiing, and the snow at the bottom stayed soft enough.
Coverage on Upper Lynx is okay but could be better. Middle and especially Lower Lynx is buried. Plenty of snow down low. As of this afternoon they were turning on the guns on Upper Polecat.

Plenty of snow, but it was severely skied off by the afternoon...

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

41 minutes ago, Los said:

Meh? My edges were sharp. It was a good reminder of how to carve hardpack.

Paging @deadheadskier. I spoke to Linda this weekend. She grossly underestimated how much we would drink and only ordered two kegs for the weekend. We drank both of them before Saturday was out. Then we drank all the PBR cans. Things were getting desperate. The topic of beer for the season came up. Sick Day is out. Long Trail Green Blaze IPA is in.

11 hours ago, Los said:

I was one of the last ones still out yesterday it really wasn't to bad late except for one section about midway down which was pretty slick. Also thanks to everyone who recommended Wildcat yesterday was my first time there and it was pretty fun!

11 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Meh? My edges were sharp. It was a good reminder of how to carve hardpack.

Paging @deadheadskier. I spoke to Linda this weekend. She grossly underestimated how much we would drink and only ordered two kegs for the weekend. We drank both of them before Saturday was out. Then we drank all the PBR cans. Things were getting desperate. The topic of beer for the season came up. Sick Day is out. Long Trail Green Blaze IPA is in.

Glad we helped out with floating the kegs. 

Glad they made an IPA change. 

1 hour ago, MimersG said:

I was one of the last ones still out yesterday it really wasn't to bad late except for one section about midway down which was pretty slick. Also thanks to everyone who recommended Wildcat yesterday was my first time there and it was pretty fun!

Glad you made it over! That mountain is home for many of us here. I hope you'll make it back later in the season when we can explore more.

36 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Glad you made it over! That mountain is home for many of us here. I hope you'll make it back later in the season when we can explore more.

Probably not until late January-February after I get back to school and have my Peak Pass, it is definitely a unique enough mountain though to make the extra drive