xwhaler

Wildcat 17-18 Season Thread

I was one of the last ones still out yesterday it really wasn't to bad late except for one section about midway down which was pretty slick. Also thanks to everyone who recommended Wildcat yesterday was my first time there and it was pretty fun!

Yeah. I guess I’m just a terrible skier. The conditions didn’t bother my older son.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Was hoping for all of polecat this weekend so that I could bring my daughter but does not appear to be in the cards. Doubt the wife will let me leave her home alone with both kids two weekends in a row. Daughter skied catapult top to bottom late last year but do not think Lynx is the best idea for the first day out. Snow has more variety but never driven to there from the NH seacoast before, looks like the drive would suck. 

2 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Wildcat has announced that they are opening Upper Polecat on Saturday. No surprise there.

Speaking of Polecat does it flatten out past the first section? As a skier whose main mountains have little to no beginner terrain outside learning zones I was still surprised by upper polecat? Either that or I'm just a wimp after not skiing for months, which is possible...

11 minutes ago, MimersG said:

Speaking of Polecat does it flatten out past the first section? As a skier whose main mountains have little to no beginner terrain outside learning zones I was still surprised by upper polecat? Either that or I'm just a wimp after not skiing for months, which is possible...

Polecat is definitely a more difficult green, especially the greens at neighboring Bretton Woods and Wildcat. Much different animal than the Snowcat (beginner) area.

Wild Kitten, the second longest green on the mountain, is similar to Polecat in difficulty. Both trails are rather narrow too. NOT for a first timer or even a true beginner really.

1 minute ago, Jully said:

Polecat is definitely a more difficult green, especially the greens at neighboring Bretton Woods and Wildcat. Much different animal than the Snowcat (beginner) area.

Wild Kitten, the second longest green on the mountain, is similar to Polecat in difficulty. Both trails are rather narrow too. NOT for a first timer or even a true beginner really.

Fair enough, I'm not sure what I was expecting, my two home mountains Hunter ( 1  difficult green outside of learning zone some easy blues) and Jay ( 0 greens or easy blues outside of learning zone). I guess I saw green from the top and immediately thought of toll road at Stowe which is 2000+ vertical where you literally don't need to turn...

4 minutes ago, MimersG said:

Fair enough, I'm not sure what I was expecting, my two home mountains Hunter ( 1  difficult green outside of learning zone some easy blues) and Jay ( 0 greens or easy blues outside of learning zone). I guess I saw green from the top and immediately thought of toll road at Stowe which is 2000+ vertical where you literally don't need to turn...

HAHA yeah, Polecat is definitely not that.

Just now, Jully said:

HAHA yeah, Polecat is definitely not that.

Considering Toll Road is more like an alpine slide but for ski's rather than an actual ski trail that's probably a good thing

1 hour ago, Jully said:

I think polecat is a noticeable step up from Wild Kitten especially as it has a lot more intersections which can make novices skittish....agree though that both are not your standard flat greens. I enjoy cruising on both

3 hours ago, xwhaler said:

I think polecat is a noticeable step up from Wild Kitten especially as it has a lot more intersections which can make novices skittish....agree though that both are not your standard flat greens. I enjoy cruising on both

Fair point! I think its has more prolonged drops too.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Smellytele said:

In the same boat. Sunday doesn't look great either

Still depends on how the snowline hits don't write anything off yet

Edited by MimersG

1 minute ago, Weatherman said:

Snowmaking is online on Lower Polecat. After Polecat, they're going to Upper Catapult.

I'm hoping Catapault by this wknd but I realize thats asking a lot.....maybe they can at least get the upper part to tie back into Lynx.

16 minutes ago, xwhaler said:

I'm hoping Catapault by this wknd but I realize thats asking a lot.....maybe they can at least get the upper part to tie back into Lynx.

Upper Catapult seems more reasonable. I think they could get a third route to the bottom by Sunday if they ignore Upper Lynx. That may be determined by how much snow they can push around with the groomers on that trail.

5 minutes ago, Smellytele said:

My plan is to hit Wildcat Saturday. Upper Catapult above the lynx cutback is mostly a slog across the top and a short section so not much of an add really.

I agree but it provides a 3rd route off the summit to disperse the skiers which is their goal right now

Wildcat is making weird excuses as well when it comes to snow making or maybe I am reading it wrong but they state:

With a weekend of mild temps, the snowmakers are taking a break. They've made incredible progress in the time they've been allowed and have snow piles all the way to the top of Bobcat! Once Mother Nature gives us the go-ahead, the crew will make their way down the rest of Bobcat and to the base. 

Weather for night time temps doesn't agree with their statement - even day time temps aren't all that mild:

Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 17. Northwest wind around 15 mph.
Saturday
Partly sunny, with a high near 35. West wind around 10 mph.
Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22. Southwest wind around 5 mph.
Sunday
Partly sunny, with a high near 31. Northwest wind around 5 mph.
Sunday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 21.

Edited by Smellytele

This would have irked me a few years ago as well (I have teenagers now so it doesn't now):

Our ski school is open for private lessons only while the nursery remains closed until further notice.

They've made some exceptions this year, but Wildcat usually won't make snow unless they have a good 24 hour window. They rarely take advantage of overnight windows only. Not saying I agree with it, it's just how they operate.

Ultimately I think they just don't want to pay someone to sit around and wait for the warm up to head up hill on a snowmobile to turn the guns off early morning.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

52 minutes ago, deadheadskier said:

They've made some exceptions this year, but Wildcat usually won't make snow unless they have a good 24 hour window. They rarely take advantage of overnight windows only. Not saying I agree with it, it's just how they operate.

Ultimately I think they just don't want to pay someone to sit around and wait for the warm up to head up hill on a snowmobile to turn the guns off early morning.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

1 hour ago, Smellytele said:

Wildcat is making weird excuses as well when it comes to snow making or maybe I am reading it wrong but they state:

With a weekend of mild temps, the snowmakers are taking a break. They've made incredible progress in the time they've been allowed and have snow piles all the way to the top of Bobcat! Once Mother Nature gives us the go-ahead, the crew will make their way down the rest of Bobcat and to the base. 

Weather for night time temps doesn't agree with their statement - even day time temps aren't all that mild:

Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 17. Northwest wind around 15 mph.
Saturday
Partly sunny, with a high near 35. West wind around 10 mph.
Saturday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22. Southwest wind around 5 mph.
Sunday
Partly sunny, with a high near 31. Northwest wind around 5 mph.
Sunday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 21.

I think most mountains are taking this approach right now since they had a great opportunity to lay down a base already and aren't struggling to open terrain at the moment.

Edited by Jcb890