xwhaler

Wildcat 17-18 Season Thread

That’s what we did at Sunday River yesterday. Dense snow so bumps all day.

Wildcat today was the most crowded I’ve ever seen there. But, I’m a Mon-Thur kind of guy. The lodge was bursting at the seams. Good as conditions were, the skiing experience was unpleasant to me, with congested trails. It was all bumped up immediately, which is fun with soft snow but my legs were cooked from yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Think it'll be busy up at the 'Cat tomorrow?  Is the HSQ back to running at high speeds?

Forecasts/predictions are pretty favorable for Wildcat today through tonight.  Debating asking about taking the day of... :)

If someone is going up this weekend and could post an update, that would be great.  I have Monday the 2nd off and am debating heading up to Wildcat.  I'm guessing it'll be just groomers for the most part?  That's OK I suppose.

I was there today and the rain did take some of the natural out of play but the real issue is that it was frozen for most of the day. The bottom 1/2 Softened up late in the day around 2

Wildcat today with my 5 yo son. Ungroomed was scary glacier coral reef. Groomers got beat down to early season conditions quickly. Did one run on upper Wildcat after lunch and it was no good... teaching my boy all conditions, all weather is east coast skier style made for good teaching moment.
Still a fun day getting some late season vertical

IMG_20180331_125844461.jpgIMG-20180331-WA0003.jpegIMG_20180331_104059339.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, thebigo said:

In line for first chair, loss of snow this week is upsetting, hope the top looks better

Will they make cinco de Gato?

7 hours ago, Smellytele said:

Will they make cinco de Gato?

Lynx should make it easy, there was one spot with some ledge starting to show but enough snow to move around. Parts of catapult and polecat were getting thin but I am always impressed with their ability to move snow around. 

Heard it is Saturday only next weekend?

Will put up some pictures later when on better wifi.

27 minutes ago, thebigo said:

Heard it is Saturday only next weekend?

Dang. That is too bad if that is the case.

Wildcat definitely took a beating over the past week, but the coverage for late April is still pretty damn good!

I didn’t take many pictures.  As usual...!

E6159B03-89EE-428C-98AB-03081F02B0D3.jpeg

695AF72D-05FF-44A7-86E9-BCF333E52AA2.jpeg

4CBB3983-5B01-403E-9A79-47A3ABB6672C.jpeg

The coverage looks excellent for April 28. I think Saturday will be a weather-based decision.

Sad that I couldn't make it up this weekend.

Did not get to ski it today, lights went while I was booting up but per some dude in the parking lot it was mixing with snow at the top.

Fortunately it was free day at sunday river, got in a dozen runs before the rain drove me away. Bunch of wc people at the Barker bar including staff. 

First time at sr in probably ten years, remember why I love and hate the place. Nicest damn people at any ski area this side of sugarloaf but the drive is absolutely brutal. Cannot believe I used to regularly day trip it.

• Like 2

Done for the season per snow report. Disappointed, but understandable given what is currently going on outside. 

Really, no other options for this weekend. Sugarbush at $79 is too much for a 1 - 3 routes down, sugarloaf is a great deal at $25 but too long to day trip. Jay at 3 hours and $45 is the only choice. 

Edited by thebigo

Well, that's a bummer.

Sounds like we'll be doing Killington Saturday or Sunday for our last MAX day.  I don't see a trip to Sugarloaf or Jay in the cards at this point.

58 minutes ago, Jcb890 said:

Well, that's a bummer.

Sounds like we'll be doing Killington Saturday or Sunday for our last MAX day.  I don't see a trip to Sugarloaf or Jay in the cards at this point.

Might be at Killington Sunday if I'm up for it. Sucks about the cat. They've been so close to May for a few years now.

18 minutes ago, Jully said:

Might be at Killington Sunday if I'm up for it. Sucks about the cat. They've been so close to May for a few years now.

I'm trying to decide if Saturday or Sunday will be better.  Rain Thursday-Friday and then a high of 63 on Saturday and 58 on Sunday.  Not sure how much of a difference there will be between the days since there won't be any real re-freeze I don't think.