• $615 raised

Goal: $300

Crotched Mtn 17-18 Season Thread

Big crowd today, no parking to be found, second lot across the street was full. Hill in decent shape, the usual high traffic areas were skied off. A number of decent if short bump lines, side of moon walk, side of sat summit. 

Do not understand why they closed at 5:00 today, most Sunday afternoons are dead but there was still a large crowd at close. Presidents weekend Sunday they should push the close to 9:00. 

Edited by thebigo

Crotched was very busy all wknd---yesterday AM for first few chairs the snow was good but the big crowds scraped down the wet snow revealing large swaths of ice.
I spent the AM skiing with my 2yo over on the West Chair...later got a few solo runs in off the Rocket but wasn't impressed by conditions at that point.

Should be interesting to see what the hill looks like this week for ARL as well as next wknd.

13 minutes ago, xwhaler said:

Crotched still making snow in an effort to recover...from their snow report

The Mtn Ops team was busy last night! They made snow on Moonwalk, Sat Summit, Retro, lower Meteor and lower Pluto's Plunge. 

May have to take a few runs there tomorrow before heading up to the MWV for the week.

• 3 weeks later...

Crotched was skiing pretty well. Think I skied all the glades that are there. A few a hadn't skied before. one Off the top of Jupiter's storm and a small one off the west side of the Mtn. there were quite a few hidden surprises under the snow but all were well worth it.

Edited by Smellytele

Continue to be impressed with the paper ticket crowd at the crotch this year. Tonight was downright cold and late season with what appeared to be a decent number of walkups. 

Other good news is the soft bumps on ufo, decent spacing, good length and consistancy.

Edited by thebigo
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Smellytele said:

pats Peak has extended their season by a week. They were scheduled to close this Sunday.

Interesting news...I recently acquired 2 vouchers that I didn't think I would be able to use since I can't ski this wknd.
I may go there next Sunday 4/1 to close out their season with my family.

12 hours ago, hammer said:

Have tickets for Sunday...how are things holding up?

Coverage was still good tonight. Woods were getting thin as were small natural spots like blast off and retro. Bumps were good on UFO but the troughs on Jupiter's storm were getting thin. Hellion's Gate was very thin and the snow was soft and hard to turn in. Solstice was the same way.

Ended up being fine today.  Unfortunately it was too cold for anything to soften up but trails had plenty of cover.

Between a race and discounted kid's tickets it was pretty busy, but they only ran the Rocket and the double.  Lines at the Rocket were a few minutes at most.

Could have used some line/group management at the Rocket, seemed like a bit of a free for all, especially after lunch.

13 hours ago, hammer said:

Ended up being fine today.  Unfortunately it was too cold for anything to soften up but trails had plenty of cover.

Between a race and discounted kid's tickets it was pretty busy, but they only ran the Rocket and the double.  Lines at the Rocket were a few minutes at most.

Could have used some line/group management at the Rocket, seemed like a bit of a free for all, especially after lunch.

The Crotch does not know how to manage lines. They so rarely get them that they are out of practice. You'll find the same at similarly quiet mountains like Wildcat and Burke.

I could never figure out their closing tactics. Such a bummer to see them close early. I got frustrated when I had a Peak's Pass because of them closing with 100% of trails open and still having a 10-12 chair wait on weekends in early April/late March. One year I had a pass they announced they were closing for the season at 5pm on a Sunday night with a FB photo of "last chair" completely unannounced. Needless to say people went bull shit. 

Edited by Flying Yeti

Place was really hopping today for the pond skim. Only had time to ski a half day today, so got there a bit past noon and saw most of it. Only saw one person make it to the end haha.

Conditions were perfect spring slush, IMO. Jupiter's and UFO were both great (so happy they've had bumps recently/a lot of this year). Could easily go another week, but I imagine management will be thrilled to go out on a high note this year and "leave us wanting more" or whatever their quote was.