15 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Bottom line of all this:  Cannon used to be the best value in NH (maybe in New England).  Now it's possibly the worst.

On the other hand, I already bought my Cannon pass for next year. So apparently they know their market. 

Yeah, their customers are loyal. And I think there are good reasons for it.

6 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Yeah, their customers are loyal. And I think there are good reasons for it.

Agreed. But there is a limit, and I think they are bumping up against it. This season we didn't go all-in. I got a full pass, but my wife only did the Bold & Beautiful. We both also did the Max Pass. So we spent about 20 days at other mountains instead of Cannon. It was a test case and we agreed this year to go all-in at Cannon. It's borderline though, I can easily see us getting pushed over the edge and getting a pass elsewhere instead. Since we're only 10min away, at this point it's mostly the location/convenience keeping us there. Well....and also the people. We have a lot of great friends (on this forum) that we ski with every weekend. That was the biggest downside to our days on the Max Pass this year.  

I do think Cannon will need to address this. Peak Pass and other great pass options could really start to eat away at their market. 

26 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Bottom line of all this:  Cannon used to be the best value in NH (maybe in New England).  Now it's possibly the worst.

On the other hand, I already bought my Cannon pass for next year. So apparently they know their market. 

They have done some amazing stuff with the new snow making, they had some seriously deep bases at the end of March. I will be doing whatever I can to get there on the deal days. I just have 4 passes to buy and need to be as fiscally responsable

You guys are being too kind about the snowmaking.  It's great that they bought the guns.  And they sure do crank out a lot of snow.  But it's kinda like a 5-year-old boy in front of the toilet.  He's got the equipment....he just doesn't know how to aim it.  In retrospect, they should have bought 100 fewer guns and used the money to send their crew to a class. 

I don't disagree though. The terrain and location are really hard to beat. 

On 4/26/2017 at 9:33 AM, Puck it said:

Keep the same name since it PO'ed some people.

Did they think the apostrophe was in the wrong place?

Edited by Domeskier

2 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

.  He's got the equipment....he just doesn't know how to aim it.  In retrospect, they should have bought 100 fewer guns and used the money to send their crew to a class. 

I don't disagree though. The terrain and location are really hard to beat. 

It seems like Cannon is kind of notorious for not knowing how to blow snow as there are always mentions of wet guns, giant ice patches, then grooming whales out too soon or too late. Last year the snow on the Front 5, even on a 45* April day last year was like carving old hardened sugar and it sounded like you were on ice. Really strange consistency. 

34 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

It seems like Cannon is kind of notorious for not knowing how to blow snow as there are always mentions of wet guns, giant ice patches, then grooming whales out too soon or too late. Last year the snow on the Front 5, even on a 45* April day last year was like carving old hardened sugar and it sounded like you were on ice. Really strange consistency. 

First world problems compared to those of us at Wildcat.

What do Cannon skiers think the mountain needs to do to improve surfaces?

Is it a function of too much water in the mix out of the guns? What about simply grooming too much? What if they took a couple of Zoomer trails and left them alone most all of the season once blown opened? Say Paulie's and Banshee?

I don't ski there much more than a couple of times a season, but if there's one trail I seem to always find the best snow on, it's Vista because it has rarely been groomed when I ski there.

Sent from my XT1565 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

11 hours ago, deadheadskier said:

What do Cannon skiers think the mountain needs to do to improve surfaces?

Is it a function of too much water in the mix out of the guns? What about simply grooming too much? What if they took a couple of Zoomer trails and left them alone most all of the season once blown opened? Say Paulie's and Banshee?

I don't ski there much more than a couple of times a season, but if there's one trail I seem to always find the best snow on, it's Vista because it has rarely been groomed when I ski there.

Sent from my XT1565 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

More complaining is needed. At least that's been my approach so far.

Seriously though, it seems like the problem is their half-assed approach to each element. They have the guns now, but they seem random in their use. They groom, but not very well. The single weirdest thing they do is blow insanely tall whales on open terrain, then leave them there for a week or more. They even do this on cut-throughs (Banshee cut, Spookie, etc) that makes for seriously dangerous conditions. A young girl got taken off the mountain in an ambulance this year after she went over the cliff of a whale they had on Spookie. She smacked her head falling down the vertical face of the downhill side of the whale. Their grooming is similar.  They get out there and drive the cats around, but the product is sketchy at best. Typically you need to stick within one narrow grooming 'lane' because the ridges and troughs in between are deadly. 

It would be great to see Cannon staff do a work exchange program at another mountain (Loon, BW, SR, etc) to get some insight on basic trail maintenance standards and practices.  

3 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

More complaining is needed. At least that's been my approach so far.

Seriously though, it seems like the problem is their half-assed approach to each element. They have the guns now, but they seem random in their use. They groom, but not very well. The single weirdest thing they do is blow insanely tall whales on open terrain, then leave them there for a week or more. They even do this on cut-throughs (Banshee cut, Spookie, etc) that makes for seriously dangerous conditions. A young girl got taken off the mountain in an ambulance this year after she went over the cliff of a whale they had on Spookie. She smacked her head falling down the vertical face of the downhill side of the whale. Their grooming is similar.  They get out there and drive the cats around, but the product is sketchy at best. Typically you need to stick within one narrow grooming 'lane' because the ridges and troughs in between are deadly. 

It would be great to see Cannon staff do a work exchange program at another mountain (Loon, BW, SR, etc) to get some insight on basic trail maintenance standards and practices.  

More first world problem. Our snowmaking is too deep!

I get your complaint about leaving whales on narrow main corridor trails. But I'd be grateful about whales being left around. I love skiing whales. They are a technical skier's playground.

Grooming really sucks.  We had another friend post a thank you to the snowmakers but gave the grooming a F on a facebook post on the Cannon page.  JD took it down and asked for a meeting that was cancelled.

2 minutes ago, Puck it said:

Grooming really sucks.  We had another friend post a thank you to the snowmakers but gave the grooming a F on a facebook post on the Cannon page.  JD took it down and asked for a meeting that was cancelled.

I can tell you that something funky with snowmaking or grooming was being done on Rock Garden. On an early season week where the mountain was beautiful I got gauges on my brand new slalom skis. I wanted to cry.

I got turned onto Cannon about 4-5 years ago and I have held it as a standard for the vibe and terrain mix.  While Cannon is not the biggest for it's size, I think it skies bigger.  I like the lift locations for the most part and the way the "Pods" are set up.  I skied Jay Peak a lot when I was younger and Cannon gave me the same feeling that old school Jay had.  I am glad that they improved their ability to make snow but it sounds like they still make it wet.  Overall it seemed like this season was pretty awesome there.

28 minutes ago, dblskifanatic said:

I got turned onto Cannon about 4-5 years ago and I have held it as a standard for the vibe and terrain mix.  While Cannon is not the biggest for it's size, I think it skies bigger.  I like the lift locations for the most part and the way the "Pods" are set up.  I skied Jay Peak a lot when I was younger and Cannon gave me the same feeling that old school Jay had.  I am glad that they improved their ability to make snow but it sounds like they still make it wet.  Overall it seemed like this season was pretty awesome there.

There are plenty of options there to be sure. Mittersill really opens up the experience. And the learning center at Tuckerbrook should not be underestimated. It's one of the best places to take a novice.

I did a lot of skiing at Killington years ago and they knew how to make snow, the had a good crew that worked the guns that made big round skiable whales, It appears Cannon didn't get the memo that they need to move or adjust those towers ! Wildcat had a similar situation on Gondiline a few years ago that they made ridiculous steep razor sharp whales that were un skiable.

The Cannon guide is next on my list. Do I have a volunteer to build it? Or should I build it out? I'm happy to do so as I know enough to talk out the side of my ass, but I think some of you will call my words blasphemy.

Would love to help, but I don't think I could write a good Cannon guide for others.  I'm very self-aware of the fact that I don't like to ski Cannon the way others do.

Some examples:  I love the tram...many locals HATE the tram.  I think Profile is one of the most poorly constructed trails in the US....judging by the crowds on it people love that trail.  

If you build it out I'd be happy to critique it objectively. 

41 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Would love to help, but I don't think I could write a good Cannon guide for others.  I'm very self-aware of the fact that I don't like to ski Cannon the way others do.

Some examples:  I love the tram...many locals HATE the tram.  I think Profile is one of the most poorly constructed trails in the US....judging by the crowds on it people love that trail.  

If you build it out I'd be happy to critique it objectively. 

While i am not a big fan of the tram I also don't like Profile. Profile is the way it is because there used to be 2 t-bars going up it. I think they did widened it when they took them out and put the chair in though. I don't think it was a trail before that

I rarely ski Profile (and I rarely ski Cannon for that matter!).  To my eye, Profile is about as boring as a groomer can get.  That trail should really be a bump run.