Opening weekend at Cannon was wild, it covered the weather options of a full season. Friday was a great opening day. About 30 degrees, nicely groomed in the morning, getting skied off by early afternoon, medium crowds (for Cannon). Saturday was about 40 degrees, sunny, soft carvers, almost April-like conditions, no people. Sunday was 25 degrees, very windy, snowing, 1-2" on top of nice groomers, zero people.

Had a great time at Cannon this weekend!  My husband and older kids were in heaven.  My 4-year-old liked the skiing off the Eagle Triple (OMG it's so slow!), but when we went up the Peabody he freaked out on Easy Link and then had a temper tantrum down the entire mountain...if you were there you probably saw/heard it!  What is the best/easiest way down from the Peabody lift?  He'll likely be fine on it all in a few weeks after he gets a little more skiing (and hopefully a lesson) under his belt, but I'd like to avoid a repeat of that sh!t show!

4 minutes ago, SkiMom said:

Had a great time at Cannon this weekend!  My husband and older kids were in heaven.  My 4-year-old liked the skiing off the Eagle Triple (OMG it's so slow!), but when we went up the Peabody he freaked out on Easy Link and then had a temper tantrum down the entire mountain...if you were there you probably saw/heard it!  What is the best/easiest way down from the Peabody lift?  He'll likely be fine on it all in a few weeks after he gets a little more skiing (and hopefully a lesson) under his belt, but I'd like to avoid a repeat of that sh!t show!

Glad to hear that (almost) everyone had a good time. It was a great opening weekend.  

I feel for your little one. All of the 'Links' can get pretty nasty.  They get skied off quickly and are probably the most crowded part of the mountain, with lots of different speeds happening all at once.  Everyone hates that area. It's unfortunate because trails like Middle Ravine and Turnpike are great for beginners, but first they have to tackle the Links.  From the top of Peabody, Middle Cannon (right under the lift) is a little bit better option for beginners. Although that can also get very scraped off and crowded at the last turn.  Hopefully he'll be ready to jump right back on the horse now that he survived and lived to tell about it. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

I feel for your little one. All of the 'Links' can get pretty nasty.  They get skied off quickly and are probably the most crowded part of the mountain, with lots of different speeds happening all at once.  Everyone hates that area. It's unfortunate because trails like Middle Ravine and Turnpike are great for beginners, but first they have to tackle the Links.  From the top of Peabody, Middle Cannon (right under the lift) is a little bit better option for beginners. Although that can also get very scraped off and crowded at the last turn.  Hopefully he'll be ready to jump right back on the horse now that he survived and lived to tell about it. 

I feel like part of the problem this weekend was that so few trails were open, the skiers (and race teams) who would normally be on the steeps were instead ripping it on the few open trails.  I don't blame them (in fact, I was jealous), but that didn't help!

Word on the street is the front five, or at least Gary's through Zoomer, will open this week, so I'm hoping he can at least add Gary's to the mix.

As an aside, does anyone have experience with kids lessons at Cannon?  I know the ski club is great, but I enjoying skiing with my kids, and they like skiing with us, so we instead opt for a few one-off lessons a year.  By the end of last season, my little guy was skiing really well (better than he did this weekend), but he was 3 and they group them together by age, not ability at that age.  Now at 4, I'm hoping he will actually get something out of the lesson (even just learning how to get himself up would be GREAT), but improving his turns on steeper terrain would be great too.

13 minutes ago, SkiMom said:

I feel like part of the problem this weekend was that so few trails were open, the skiers (and race teams) who would normally be on the steeps were instead ripping it on the few open trails.  I don't blame them (in fact, I was jealous), but that didn't help!

This is true. But the Links are always a problem even when the whole mountain is open.  They are still the choke point for getting to the Cannonball Chair. 

18 minutes ago, Catherine said:

Gonna skip the Bold & Beautiful Pass and go Wednesdays for the $25 NH Residents deal.

That's the best deal around if you can do it. Unfortunately the whole job thing always gets in the way.

12 hours ago, SkiMom said:

What is the best/easiest way down from the Peabody lift?

As Cannonballer suggested, Middle Cannon is the only "easy" way from the Peabody Quad. The Links are almost always toast within two hours of opening on any weekend during the winter. It could be a two foot powder day and you'll see massive scrapes in between mounds of snow on the Links. If you go links, I'd recommend Easy instead of Big. The pitch isn't as severe so it doesn't get scraped down quite as much.

The worst decision Cannon ever made was installing the HSQ in its current position instead of where the old double used to be. Spookie was just fine for getting to Zoomer or Lower Cannon from the top of Mid Ravine. Bypass always sucks, the Links always suck... so basically you get Mid Cannon as the only "good" trail from the position of the HSQ. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, thesnowway said:

As Cannonballer suggested, Middle Cannon is the only "easy" way from the Peabody Quad. The Links are almost always toast within two hours of opening on any weekend during the winter. It could be a two foot powder day and you'll see massive scrapes in between mounds of snow on the Links. If you go links, I'd recommend Easy instead of Big. The pitch isn't as severe so it doesn't get scraped down quite as much.

The worst decision Cannon ever made was installing the HSQ in its current position instead of where the old double used to be. Spookie was just fine for getting to Zoomer or Lower Cannon from the top of Mid Ravine. Bypass always sucks, the Links always suck... so basically you get Mid Cannon as the only "good" trail from the position of the HSQ. 

I have a hard time coming to term with this. Where Middle Cannon dumps into rock garden is also a train wreck.  You guys have hit on Cannon's major flaw it is not intermediate friendly.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Weatherman said:

I have a hard time coming to term with this. Where Middle Cannon dumps into rock garden is also a train wreck.  You guys have hit on Cannon's major flaw it is not intermediate friendly.

I still haven't quite come to terms with this whole "Rock Garden" instead of "Lower Cannon" name change. I still need to pull up a map to see where Rock Garden starts and ends. It'll always be Lower Cannon to me. xD

Has anyone tried "Goat Path" instead of the Links to get from the Peabody chair to the top of Middle Ravine?  I'm embarrassed to say I haven't, so I don't know if it can be skied in that direction.  It looks flat from the chair, but the map makes it look like it would be a downhill from Middle Cannon.  It should eliminates all the nasty other options, and be quieter and safer than the Links.  I've never seen many tracks on it though.

As an instructor at Cannon, I've always told newcomers with lower level skills to stay off the Peabody chair.   All options off the chair tend to be dangerous for them.  

5a1eb6da561d5_GoatPath.thumb.png.1f3c41a18f7bf536f0a70aeca98feaca.png

Edited by LiquidFeet

9 minutes ago, xwhaler said:

Yes Goat path is flat but hardly any poling required if you carry some speed from Easy Link....less scraped off than Middle Ravine

LF is talking the other way

50 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Goat path is uphill both ways. Seriously.

Yes it is and really an option off Mid Cannon with the way it comes into it.

Goat Path may be the only trail at Cannon that I haven't skied. I've seen the exit for it at the bottom of the Links but I couldn't tell you where the entrance is off Middle Cannon. Guess I am always just going too fast to notice!

9 hours ago, LiquidFeet said:

As an instructor at Cannon, I've always told newcomers with lower level skills to stay off the Peabody chair.   All options off the chair tend to be dangerous for them.

The Tuckerbrook area really helped lock in Cannon as having a solid beginner area. But the jump from Tuckerbrook to the Peabody might just be the most aggressive "beginner to intermediate" jump at any major New England area except perhaps Burke. 

As an advanced skier, I took my girlfriend to cannon for her first few times skiing ever last year.  She loved the tuckerbrook area for progression, and there was great snow down there last year in December.  The beginner package is priced just right, too.  I got into a little trouble with her for "disappearing" --- leaving her with the instructor, then just dropping by for one run every hour, but the rest of the mountain was calling me!  Sometimes I think beginners have no idea that the tuckerbrook area is like 4% of the open terrain. 

She made it up to the top by the end of the season and I even got her on the front 5 and over to mittersill for a few runs.  

This past weekend she was all about every trail that was open on Friday.  She may be a quick learner, but I'd argue that the short transition off of the peobody lift and subsequent moderate steep/high traffic areas are excellent small challenges that any intermediate skier (assuming they are determined to progress) will overcome.   That said, I've taken quite a few beginner friends up the peobody lift only to realize they are pissed at me and they "hate cannon".  However, after a beer at cannonball pub, every one of them are stoked to come back.