3 hours ago, GrewUpSkiingWachusett said:

@Jully@BumpOut As much as I wish it were not true, I believe it is correct that Jay Peak gets a lot more snow than Cannon, something on the order of 160" more on average. My favorite site for snow statistics, bestsnow.net, confirms this, with Jay Peak getting 323" on average and Cannon getting 160" on average. The marking folks at Jay probably exaggerate things a little bit when posting pictures after a storm, but they really do get a lot more snow, which almost seems strange considering how close Cannon is to the tallest mountains in New England. Tony from bestsnow.net gives a good explanation about why Jay Peak is in essentially the best geographic spot in the Northeast in terms of snowfall here.

That said, Cannon is a cold mountain with a lot of north facing terrain. It probably retains snow better than many resorts in New England.

I agree it gets more snow, I was just against the 200" number. Didn't know it was 160" more, but I trust Tony on snow stats though. 160" isn't that far from it, but it is still a 20% bump to 200".

200" at Cannon is a epic year. If it received that much annually, I probably wouldn't drive past it (even though it is my favorite mountain) to ski Jay Peak and Smuggs nearly as often as I do...

Jay does not inflate at all; they really get that much. But the wind blows it clean sometimes. You really need to be there right when the storm comes through and you need to be ready to hunt for it in the woods. Lots of folks go to Jay a day after the storm and only stay on map then complain about inflated numbers. Just because you didn't experience it doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

I am not sure if Cannon is actually underrated anymore. Ever since so many of its secrets were put on a map and so many more people discovered its remaining secrets, I think the word is out. An article in lameass unofficial networks is a sure sign that the shark has been jumped for sure. A certain Yogi Berra quote might even apply... the amount of traffic Cannon woods get now may have been the deciding factor for my not going with their reduced price season pass this year.

Edited by thesnowway

On 10/25/2018 at 8:50 PM, GrewUpSkiingWachusett said:

@Jully@BumpOut As much as I wish it were not true, I believe it is correct that Jay Peak gets a lot more snow than Cannon, something on the order of 160" more on average. 

I’m not saying Jay doesn’t get a lot more snow than Cannon.  It does.  I’m just saying the author is overstating it at 200” more (and you then went on to cite the more accurate difference).  

So... thanks for “correcting” me?

?

• Like 2