I'm worried with all the snow this coming weekend will be jammed. The weekend before Christmas (23rd and 24th) I'm thinking will be mega empty.
Not ruling out crowds at Cannon this weekend, but it would be a very big surprise. As others already mentioned, it was a ghost town for this past sunday's mini-powder day. As we get closer buybuybuymass it usually slows down even more.

3 hours ago, Jully said:

I'm worried with all the snow this coming weekend will be jammed. The weekend before Christmas (23rd and 24th) I'm thinking will be mega empty.

Nah, don't worry about this weekend. At the very least, it definitely won't be jammed. Worst case scenario is crowds might feel like a mid-winter non-powder day weekend. Though I bet ski on lifts pretty much everywhere. Pound hounds are going to know that the weekend is too late, non-powder hounds are busy shopping. Folks planning holiday skiing won't come up yet. 

Weekend before Christmas is a blackout weekend for most deals and vouchers, no way that weekend will be empty as it is part of the holiday week. Some folks will plan to spend Christmas weekend at the mountain. I'd expect at least moderate crowds during the weekend before Christmas unless the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Cannon was very good today, hardly anyone there. But enough to clear out most of the fresh tracks by noon, so I wouldn't expect Weds to be epic unless the snow machine keeps going overnight. We'll see, I'm heading to Jay tomorrow myself.

The Upper mountain did very well from this storm. Vista was skiing excellent edge to edge. I can't remember the last time I've blasted straight down the middle or hugged skier's right of Vista rather than staying skier's left. Tramway was nice (especially skier's right), Upper Cannon was nice, skier's right of Profile looked nice but I never got to it (under the lift wasn't roped off, that was nice to see). Upper Ravine was frozen hard pack, the new snow wasn't sticking there. Guns were going on Skylight/Taft which were not open. Definitely a good day to ride the Cannonball lift, winds were ripping only at the very top but overall the ride was better than the Peabody for most of the ride, and actually peaceful for the first 2/3 of the ride.

Extension had really nice snow skier's right but still some junk in there. I wasn't impressed with Zoomer skier's right, the Upper Mountain was better so I only took one lap on the Zoomer lift. Seemed like the Front Five area under performed for this storm and the Upper Mountain over performed in weird areas that usually aren't favored. I don't think any new trails will open tomorrow (Weds) unless the snow keeps going overnight. The report says Skylight and Taft were opened (report updated 11:45am) but they were roped when I was there, so I guess you can count those two as new trails but they'll be whaled due to snowmaking, not opening due to natural snow. Maybe they'll get Upper Hard going too, that can open with minimum natural. But given the weird wind and snow deposit patterns, perhaps not since the new snow wasn't sticking to Upper Ravine at all.

Overall, great skiing but not epic. Tomorrow at Jay is probably going to be epic, with some hiking involved to make it so. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

Cold, cold day. Cannon was taking advantage and showing off their new firepower.
2b9fe104986dfd3d20cd94e78125d169.jpg

I drove by this afternoon on my way home from Jay. The sight of all that snowmaking gave me instant envy.

I drove by this afternoon on my way home from Jay. The sight of all that snowmaking gave me instant envy.
There's been a lot of gripes, and pro/con arguments about Cannon decision making in the past few years. I'll admit that I've personally been on the fence about some of their snowmaking decisions. But yesterday and today there was no doubting the massive firepower that they are bringing to the game now. It seemed like every trail you took was banging out huge quantities of really high quality man-made. Exceptionally dry for a change! Once they push this stuff out the trail bases will be way ahead of the curve.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Cannonballer said:
14 hours ago, Weatherman said:

There's been a lot of gripes, and pro/con arguments about Cannon decision making in the past few years. I'll admit that I've personally been on the fence about some of their snowmaking decisions. But yesterday and today there was no doubting the massive firepower that they are bringing to the game now. It seemed like every trail you took was banging out huge quantities of really high quality man-made. Exceptionally dry for a change! Once they push this stuff out the trail bases will be way ahead of the curve.

Totally agree with that statement. Even more firepower than last year with Echo Lake at max. They should be 100% for snowmaking  trails by next weekend   

Edited by Puck it

I didn't get above mid-mountain much on Saturday (stinking 4-year-old), but Skylight was very firm.  Everything off the Peabody lift was GREAT, and Gary's and Rocket were nice too, but had the huge snowmaking whales (why don't they groom these out???).  It was the first time this season the little guy felt comfortable on the Peabody lift trails, and he skied all the blues off the lift.  The conditions were excellent, and I'm just hoping the talk of "the r word" changes before the weekend!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SkiMom said:

I didn't get above mid-mountain much on Saturday (stinking 4-year-old), but Skylight was very firm.  Everything off the Peabody lift was GREAT, and Gary's and Rocket were nice too, but had the huge snowmaking whales (why don't they groom these out???).  It was the first time this season the little guy felt comfortable on the Peabody lift trails, and he skied all the blues off the lift.  The conditions were excellent, and I'm just hoping the talk of "the r word" changes before the weekend!

Cannon is Notorious for saving the wales for a long as possible ! Draining the water they say.....but yeah they should have. probably will by this weekend !

Day 8 for me overall, day 1 at cannon was the best of the year thus far. Started to snow lightly around Lincoln and only got heavier in the notch. Upper mountain in great shape, skied several laps on tramway and upper cannon. Daughter wanted to check out tuckerbrook after lunch, took a number of runs, that pod is one of the best for teaching kids in the northeast. Picture is grandfather and granddaughter enjoying the day.

20171220_113325.jpg

Edited by thebigo
  • Like 5

Great day at Cannon today. Got there at 8:30 and it was -12. Started out on the front five. The steeper ones (Paulies, Avalanche, Zoomer) were a little scratchy in spots. Gary, Rocket and banshee glade were nice. Made our way to the top and while very cold everything up there skied great. Vista way started out a little interesting but skiers left had fresh blow in. Wicked haard glades was a lot of fun. After lunch spent the rest of the day over at Mittersil which was great. Besides the racers on the t-bar there were no more than 5 or 6 other skiers over there.

• Like 1

I am thinking of heading up for a day trip on Jan 28th. Anyone want to meet up? As much as skiing alone is fun it gets old real quick and I will have plenty of that in Feb at Killington.

• Like 1

I am thinking of heading up for a day trip on Jan 28th. Anyone want to meet up? As much as skiing alone is fun it gets old real quick and I will have plenty of that in Feb at Killington.

Were usually there so post up when it’s closer and we can figure out where to meet. Usually get booted up at the tram / Zoomer

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

This coming Sunday is the Sporthoma demo day at Cannon ! I may try to get on a few different carving skis ! Already really like the RTM 84s from the BW Demo day.

This coming Sunday is the Sporthoma demo day at Cannon ! I may try to get on a few different carving skis ! Already really like the RTM 84s from the BW Demo day.
Be sure to check out the K2 Super Charger. Great ski.

Anyone who doesn't have a pass and doesn't know already No Boundaries has $55 passes for Saturday if you buy by Friday. https://www.skinoboundaries.com/ of course this is my work weekend!!

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Infinite Dreams said:

Be sure to check out the K2 Super Charger. Great ski.

Anyone who doesn't have a pass and doesn't know already No Boundaries has $55 passes for Saturday if you buy by Friday. https://www.skinoboundaries.com/ of course this is my work weekend!!

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Thanks for the info ! Was going to ask what everyone else liked at the BW demo day. I only got on the RTM 84 and loved it. I can really see the need for something a little narrower than 95 !!

3 hours ago, ABV said:

Thanks for the info ! Was going to ask what everyone else liked at the BW demo day. I only got on the RTM 84 and loved it. I can really see the need for something a little narrower than 95 !!

Look for the Rossi Heros if they have them....have demoed them at Ragged last yr at also again at BW....incredible ski

1 hour ago, xwhaler said:

Look for the Rossi Heros if they have them....have demoed them at Ragged last yr at also again at BW....incredible ski

Yeah, the Hero is a beer league ski for sure

On 1/6/2018 at 2:04 PM, mtsnow1 said:

I will definitely re post either the Friday or Saturday before.

So no go on skiing at Cannon on the 28th. Life got in the way again... Looks like my trip to K in 3 weeks is my only outing this year.