how about Super Bowl Sunday? Usually they had 2 for1 deal but right now I can't find anything about it on their website

IIRC if used to be whole bunch of people going from AZ

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MadRussian said:

how about Super Bowl Sunday? Usually they had 2 for1 deal but right now I can't find anything about it on their website

IIRC if used to be whole bunch of people going from AZ

Havents seen anything but they usually do the 2 for 1, will see ! Well most likely be there !

3 hours ago, Infinite Dreams said:

Cannon snowmaking on Chronicle now

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

think that was a repeat from last winter, I didnt see it tonight but just guessing 

Question for those who know the mountain well: My littlest skier is getting better and gaining confidence on the blue trails at Cannon.  He's skied all of them except Lower Hardscrabble, Blue Ball, and Red Ball, and that's just because I can't figure out how to get on them without taking him on a black (Short Fuse).  Since he's been my skiing sidekick all year, I haven't had the chance to get on many Cannon blacks myself.  Can someone give a good progression of trails to take him on when he's ready (and the conditions improve)?

Also, my older kids are itching to ski some Cannon glades (again, when the conditions improve), but since the entrances to them are so narrow, it's hard to get a sense of just how tight/hard the trails are.  I'd love a progression of glades to start them on as well if anyone is willing to share.

Thanks!

Question for those who know the mountain well: My littlest skier is getting better and gaining confidence on the blue trails at Cannon.  He's skied all of them except Lower Hardscrabble, Blue Ball, and Red Ball, and that's just because I can't figure out how to get on them without taking him on a black (Short Fuse).  Since he's been my skiing sidekick all year, I haven't had the chance to get on many Cannon blacks myself.  Can someone give a good progression of trails to take him on when he's ready (and the conditions improve)?

Also, my older kids are itching to ski some Cannon glades (again, when the conditions improve), but since the entrances to them are so narrow, it's hard to get a sense of just how tight/hard the trails are.  I'd love a progression of glades to start them on as well if anyone is willing to share.

Thanks!

You don't need to do Short Fuse to do the blues you mentioned. You can start on Lower Hardscrabble just below the bottom of the Cannonball chair.

I think the best way to progress from blues to blacks is on the front 5. Once he's comfortable on Gary's and Rocket it's a small jump up to Zoomer and Paulie's and eventually Avalanche. Zoomer has added advantage that you can see the trail conditions from the chair and decide if it's looking good enough.

Upper mountain glades are not a good place to start! You're right about the narrow entrances, and they don't get a whole lot wider inside. The easiest glade on the mountain is Turnpike glade. It's very flat and easy. Front 5 glades are very visible and doable. Lakeview and Banshee Glade are the two easiest. Snowmakers is low angle but drops you in the middle of nowhere and requires walking. Echo Glade is pretty steep since it's the same pitch as Paulie's.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

You don't need to do Short Fuse to do the blues you mentioned. You can start on Lower Hardscrabble just below the bottom of the Cannonball trail.

I think the best way to progress from blues to blacks is on the front 5. Once he's comfortable on Gary's and Rocket it's a small jump up to Zoomer and Paulie's and eventually Avalanche. Zoomer has added advantage that you can see the trail conditions from the chair and decide if it's looking good enough.

Upper mountain glades are not a good place to start! You're right about the narrow entrances, and they don't get a whole lot wider inside. The easiest glade on the mountain is Turnpike glade. It's very flat and easy. Front 5 glades are very visible and doable. Lakeview and Banshee Glade are the two easiest. Snowmakers is low angle but drops you in the middle of nowhere and requires walking. Echo Glade is pretty steep since it's the same pitch as Paulie's.

There are glades over in the Tuckerbrook area too.

• Thanks 1

Short Fuze didn't use to exist as a trail segment, that was all Lower Hard in the not too distant past. So if you reference an old trail map, it used to be a blue if that helps. :)

But as previously mentioned, you can get to Lower Hard from just below the Cannonball Quad. Lower Hard gets neglected by Cannon, I rarely ski it.

Cannon glades are a step above glades at other mountains. And they are not all created equal despite having similar ratings. Upper mountain glades are definitely not the place to learn. Banshee is a good place to start. Cannon isn't really a great mountain to learn glades. Make sure they are competent in natural snow and bumps before going into glades. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, thesnowway said:

Short Fuze didn't use to exist as a trail segment, that was all Lower Hard in the not too distant past. So if you reference an old trail map, it used to be a blue if that helps. :)

But as previously mentioned, you can get to Lower Hard from just below the Cannonball Quad. Lower Hard gets neglected by Cannon, I rarely ski it.

Cannon glades are a step above glades at other mountains. And they are not all created equal despite having similar ratings. Upper mountain glades are definitely not the place to learn. Banshee is a good place to start. Cannon isn't really a great mountain to learn glades. Make sure they are competent in natural snow and bumps before going into glades. 

They have been skiing glades at Bretton Woods for a few years, and actually ski them better than I do.  Their little skis make tighter turns than mine (at least that's what I tell myself).  The BW glades are a great intro to tree skiing, but they are ready for something more, though I agree that the upper mountain glades are not the next step.

Thanks for all the recommendations! With the current conditions, I don't think we'll be trying anything new quite yet, but I'm trying to prepare for the next big dumping.

So I took my 4-year-old on Bypass and Extension on Saturday and he skied them like a rock star (even though they were pretty skied off by then)!  I was thinking about taking him on Zoomer, but he loves to go on the whales and I worry about him falling on the backside and then getting crushed by someone coming over who can't see him, so I didn't.  Thanks for all the recommendations! Hopefully the glades will all be back in play soon.

8 minutes ago, Paul Chang said:

What's the condition going to be this Saturday? thinking about taking advantage of the deal 

Might still be too far out to know for sure.  Right now it looks like sun and temps around 20, but there is some precipitation coming later in the week too. Looks like theres a good chance for some snow showers on Friday, but it could be preceded by rain on Thursday.  Still TBD.