Flying Yeti

2017 Summer Improvements/Expansions

Some great things happening this summer.

1. Magic installing the Green Chair to offer lower mountain skiing. Also redoing their snowmaking pond and lots of new piping. Hoping for an Thanksgiving weekend openings. Also, snowmaking on Vertigo, Sorcerer, Witch, and Black Line.

2. Berkshire East with some big expansion. Putting the old triple around the side of "North Face", they will be adding "a lot" of new trails and snowmaking there. The area is quite amazing, very steep sections, thin trees, and some 3-10' ledges and cliffs. Not sure I've ever been so excited for expansion.

3. Whaleback - The T-bar

4. Sugarbush - Replacing Sunny-D and Village Doubles with quads.

5. Sunday River - New triple for Spruce Peak

6. Killington - South Ridge Project to get going.

What else?

• Like 1

Burke is replacing their Poma with a T Bar for the racers

Pats Peak is replacing the Peak Double with a used Triple they bought from Ascutney (hopefully they can run this lift faster than the Hurricane Triple)

2 hours ago, Flying Yeti said:

2. Berkshire East with some big expansion. Putting the old triple around the side of "North Face", they will be adding "a lot" of new trails and snowmaking there. The area is quite amazing, very steep sections, thin trees, and some 3-10' ledges and cliffs. Not sure I've ever been so excited for expansion.

I had not heard there would be advanced terrain off this expansion. Every release I've seen from BEast was that it would be intermediate groomers in the vein of Mohawk and Chief with interesting natural features. The topographic map roughly matches this whenever I've glanced at it. Still exciting nonetheless, but I would be tempted to make the trek out there to support the mountain and try it out next year if it is more than just blue groomers! 

I thought I'd heard 6 trails for the expansion when I was on the hill this year. Could have been total hearsay though. 

8 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

SkiBeardedLady knows better but my few trips in there this year it was pretty advanced terrain with ledges and creek beds. I'm pretty stoked about it.  

That's great then! I'm in Boston so it is a bit of a hike to get out there, but I try and make a trip or two every year. Love the vibe and love the improvements recently. The food is cheap and it is not owned by a corporation, all things I would like to support! 

1 hour ago, Jully said:

I had not heard there would be advanced terrain off this expansion. Every release I've seen from BEast was that it would be intermediate groomers in the vein of Mohawk and Chief with interesting natural features. The topographic map roughly matches this whenever I've glanced at it. Still exciting nonetheless, but I would be tempted to make the trek out there to support the mountain and try it out next year if it is more than just blue groomers! 

I thought I'd heard 6 trails for the expansion when I was on the hill this year. Could have been total hearsay though. 

FlyingYeti sets a low bar for gnar, but we admire his enthusiasm. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, deadheadskier said:

The BeardedLady can confirm, the unmarked gnat at Berkshire East comes close to most of your Meow Pow stashes.

The term "Meow Pow" also deducts gnar factor.

Edited by Flying Yeti

Depending on fundraising, Whaleback will also be knocking down and rebuilding their pump house, adding an additional water pump, dredging the snowmaking pond, replacing on-hill water lines, hydrants, adding fan gun hookups on Scrimshaw, and adding additional Titan fan guns. Also an off chance of seeing snowmaking capability restored to Jonah's Revenge if their water distribution issues can be rectified this off season.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, deadheadskier said:

Extremely low bar from what I hear!!!

7 minutes ago, Puck it said:

Extremely low bar from what I hear!!!

You merely adapted the gnar. I was born into it, raised by it.

Also, have you put a "Smith College Alumni" sticker on your scissor-mobile yet?

Image result for fj cruiser

Edited by Flying Yeti

3 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

You merely adapted the gnar. I was born into it, raised by it.

Also, have you put a "Smith College Alumni" sticker on your scissor-mobile yet?

Image result for fj cruiser

I am a lesbian. and proud!!!

40 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

Meow Pow increases gnar factor by 10 fold!

Edited by Jully

Loon is planning to install the River Walk Gondola.  This still seems like a wild idea to me. The Gondola will come to the new Riverwalk condos they just completed, across the Pemi, and over to South Peak.  It's going to be a pretty interesting change to look of Lincoln to have a gondola coming practically into downtown.

9 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Loon is planning to install the River Walk Gondola.  This still seems like a wild idea to me. The Gondola will come to the new Riverwalk condos they just completed, across the Pemi, and over to South Peak.  It's going to be a pretty interesting change to look of Lincoln to have a gondola coming practically into downtown.

Wow, this a very Euro / Western idea.

31 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Do you ever hear any talk locally about adding new trails on South Peak?   Just seems to be a huge amount of acreage between Boom Run and Jobber as well as between Ripsaw and Cruiser.   I would think adding a trail in each of those areas would help siphon some traffic away from the main mountain.

loon.JPG

There originally were plans for more trails. Huge effort to just get South Peak open in general... construction began in the 1990s IIRC and was stalled multiple times. Reminds me of the Green Line Extension for the Boston MBTA subway in a way.

2 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

Any talk of if the gondola will be usable by the public? I assume not, but you never know.

2 hours ago, deadheadskier said:

Do you ever hear any talk locally about adding new trails on South Peak?   Just seems to be a huge amount of acreage between Boom Run and Jobber as well as between Ripsaw and Cruiser.   I would think adding a trail in each of those areas would help siphon some traffic away from the main mountain.

loon.JPG

Yes. The full build out includes a bunch of beginner terrain and two small lifts. Also included is some Learning Center facilities. All of this would originate where the South Peak satellite parking is right now (just over the bridge). The Gondola would come in here(ish). One of the new lifts would bring you from there to the existing South Peak chair. The plans are online somewhere. I'll have to look for them.

13 minutes ago, Jully said:

Any talk of if the gondola will be usable by the public? I assume not, but you never know.

Not sure. Since it's mostly intended to serve people going back & forth from the Riverwalk building to the new South Peak base I would think you wouldn't need a lift ticket or ski gear to ride. So in that sense the public should be able to use it. On the other hand, there's really not much point in riding it if you aren't planning to ski over there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flying Yeti said:

The BeardedLady can confirm, the unmarked gnat at Berkshire East comes close to most of your Meow Pow stashes.

To touch on the the Berkshire East expansion.  This expansion has been in the works for several years.  Last year they focused on expanding mountain biking trails which is making them a lot of money.  The new ski terrain is going to head off the backside next to Mohawk.  It remains to be be seen if they only get the one beginner trail put in or they will get several more in and the lift.  It seems like a really big project to get done in one summer.  I have also heard they are doing some snowmaking expansion on the main mountain as well.  I would like to see some more snowmaking on the lower mountain and around the base.  It seems to be their biggest problem.   Next time I'm up there I will ask around about what the plans are for the expansion.  

The stuff out in the area of the expansion is pretty legit.  Once cut it won't be overly challenging but I think what they leave untouched will be pretty sweet.  If they work on thinning between trails there is some nice potential for fun out there.  Also the area just above the mountain coaster which would be directly next to this new area is very legit.  Lots of big boy cliffs out there.  Berkshire East in general has some of the steepest/gnarliest off map terrain south of MRG.  Big problem is they get very little snow.  

• Like 1

More info on the Loon expansion....

I can no longer find the full build-out renderings.  I wonder if that means they are changing plans.  But it looks like 2 separate-but-connected plans. 

1) the Learning Center expansion.  Snocountry detailed that a while back Article

2) The Riverwalk Gondola.  Loon's PR page describes that Here .   One excerpt from that:  "Phase 2 of the resort is slated to start construction in 2017 along with the Doppelmayr Gondola that will cross the Pemigewasset River and will land resort guests at the base of Loon Mountain. The gondola consists of six cabins with an eight passenger capacity (per cabin) and utilizes a pulsed movement ropeway allowing the cabins to never completely stop. The next phase will also include additional retail shopping and dining, open to the public. It has also been hinted that a vineyard will be planted along with the expansion of the winery on the sprawling grounds of RiverWalk Resort at Loon."

9 hours ago, SkiBearded! said:

The stuff out in the area of the expansion is pretty legit.  Once cut it won't be overly challenging but I think what they leave untouched will be pretty sweet.  If they work on thinning between trails there is some nice potential for fun out there.  Also the area just above the mountain coaster which would be directly next to this new area is very legit.  Lots of big boy cliffs out there.  Berkshire East in general has some of the steepest/gnarliest off map terrain south of MRG.  Big problem is they get very little snow.  

They all think we are crazy until they get there. I used to post pics from West Ledges at Crotched and people said it wasn't Crotched. Similar to MRG and Stowe, there are a few places where you are skiing then 15'+ cliff with little to no way around. One day we will make xwhaler a believer. 

16 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

They all think we are crazy until they get there. I used to post pics from West Ledges at Crotched and people said it wasn't Crotched. Similar to MRG and Stowe, there are a few places where you are skiing then 15'+ cliff with little to no way around. One day we will make xwhaler a believer. 

Take me with you? There is a Crotched crew here who would love to see what you offer. Are the West Ledges the stuff down from Moon Walk to Milky Way? I've taken a quick look at it from both sides, but never jumped it. I usually am not there in daylight with someone willing to try it out.

3 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Take me with you? There is a Crotched crew here who would love to see what you offer. Are the West Ledges the stuff down from Moon Walk to Milky Way? I've taken a quick look at it from both sides, but never jumped it. I usually am not there in daylight with someone willing to try it out.

Yes, West Ledges are down off of Moon Walk. DHS gave myself and BumpOut an awesome tour of what CM has to offer a few yrs ago on an epic 18" powder day.

The mtn skis a lot bigger when all the trees are in. T Bar Line and beyond the place can pack a decent little punch.

We'll show you the goods

34 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

The next phase will also include additional retail shopping and dining, open to the public. It has also been hinted that a vineyard will be planted along with the expansion of the winery on the sprawling grounds of RiverWalk Resort at Loon."

Hold up... a vineyard?? What is happening over there.

Essentially, there are about 5-6 chutes in there depending which way you take, there is one that can bring you all the way down to the top of West Lift and around Super Nova.The stuff out to the east is much longer and can bring you all the way down to Big Dipper. I'm sure the Flying Rabbi and the beavers over there are clearing a lot more out this summer. That whole place has become a big glade.  These signs exist for a reason. 

18195876_10213240467710490_1829809899_o.jpg?oh=ec7456edd66d21ea3e6231663ac4dcd8&oe=5903E9AE

Edited by Flying Yeti