Flying Yeti

2017 Summer Improvements/Expansions

15 hours ago, deadheadskier said:

I've heard in the neighborhood of $20K per fan gun + running electric utility. It's definitely an expensive endeavor. I just know my go to trail at Attitash when conditions suck is Spillway because of the fan guns that are used so frequently on the trail. Having them on Northwest Passage would be huge.

Sent from my XT1565 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Most are now up over $30K a gun these days. Great option for large acreage, areas that need frequent resurfacing, or areas without air infrastructure. The kWh/acre-ft on the hill is considerably less than air/water, but definitely a long ROI. That's why you see the big players with established air keep investing in Low E, quicker ROI.

They do make nice snow.

On 4/27/2017 at 9:21 AM, Flying Yeti said:

Essentially, there are about 5-6 chutes in there depending which way you take, there is one that can bring you all the way down to the top of West Lift and around Super Nova.The stuff out to the east is much longer and can bring you all the way down to Big Dipper. I'm sure the Flying Rabbi and the beavers over there are clearing a lot more out this summer. That whole place has become a big glade.  These signs exist for a reason. 

18195876_10213240467710490_1829809899_o.jpg?oh=ec7456edd66d21ea3e6231663ac4dcd8&oe=5903E9AE

Out to east while longer is rather flat. it is okay when the snow is okay but if too deep hard to keep up speed and move. You can ski it all the way down to the maintenance shed. Don't take the first path skiers left back because it is flat/uphill. Love the stuff off Moon Walk at the jug handle.

On 4/26/2017 at 9:42 AM, Flying Yeti said:

4. Sugarbush - Replacing Sunny-D and Village Doubles with quads.

Sugarbush is also replacing the snowmaking pipe on Which Way at Mt Ellen, putting a new motor in the North Ridge chair at ME (maybe this one will actually last a while), and buying 2 new groomers (I'm assuming this is replacing older groomers and not really additions to the fleet).

1 hour ago, Flying Yeti said:

North Ridge and Bravo have had a couple of rough years. Given their luck I'm amazed Heaven's Gate still spins.

They did a pretty substantial overhaul of HG a couple years ago (SkyTrac I think it was came in and did the work). That has made a huge difference with HG reliability.

• Like 1

Oh, that is exciting! Magic needs that chair.

Looks like Geoff got a slight setback last weekend when they tested the haul rope for green, it didn't pass but to their credit they got right after it and put an order in for a new one. They ain't f'kn around I'll tell ya!

40 minutes ago, Infinite Dreams said:

Looks like Geoff got a slight setback last weekend when they tested the haul rope for green, it didn't pass but to their credit they got right after it and put an order in for a new one. They ain't f'kn around I'll tell ya!

Keep us posted. It's encouraging to see so much vigor at that mountain. I know I'm looking forward to a trip there next season. The Black Line Tavern calls my name.

2 hours ago, RedSoxFan said:

Mt. Snow West Lake project. 2m gallons to 12m gallons, and increased all mountain snowmaking coverage.

About time! In the past I've been surprised how little snowmaking coverage they have for such a busy mountain. I assumed they'd bury the entire place with the crowds they get.

5 hours ago, RedSoxFan said:

Mt. Snow West Lake project. 2m gallons to 12m gallons, and increased all mountain snowmaking coverage.

I think you're missing some 0s! The West Lake project gives them access to 120M gallons of water!

39 minutes ago, cdskier said:

I think you're missing some 0s! The West Lake project gives them access to 120M gallons of water!

Good Eye. 120m Gallons.

https://www.mountsnow.com/our-media/blog/west-lake-project/west-lake-update-5-11/

Here's a link to a progress blog. Quite a project. Replacing entire mountain with 24" vs 8" Pipe. New Pumphouse. Hopefully early starts will have much more coverage.

37 minutes ago, RedSoxFan said:

Good Eye. 120m Gallons.

https://www.mountsnow.com/our-media/blog/west-lake-project/west-lake-update-5-11/

Here's a link to a progress blog. Quite a project. Replacing entire mountain with 24" vs 8" Pipe. New Pumphouse. Hopefully early starts will have much more coverage.

The guy they have in charge of that project is really bright. He's a professional engineer turned snowmaking guru and ski bum. I admire him for following his passion into the ski industry.

6 hours ago, RedSoxFan said:

Good Eye. 120m Gallons.

Well, not the entire mountain, just the uphill mains. But that is still huge pipe...

My neighbor works for Doppelmayr and is currently working on the Spruce Peak install at Sunday River, the 2 new lifts at Sugarbush, and the gondola at Belleayre  But the most interesting thing he mentioned was Saddleback's plans for a new lift this summer.  Doesn't sound like a done deal, but promising news!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:

My neighbor works for Doppelmayr and is currently working on the Spruce Peak install at Sunday River, the 2 new lifts at Sugarbush, and the gondola at Belleayre  But the most interesting thing he mentioned was Saddleback's plans for a new lift this summer.  Doesn't sound like a done deal, but promising news!

Supposedly orange flags around the top terminal of Rangeley. I won't be convinced until all the parts of the chairlift begin arriving in the parking lot though. 

22 minutes ago, Jully said:

Supposedly orange flags around the top terminal of Rangeley. I won't be convinced until all the parts of the chairlift begin arriving in the parking lot though. 

Would this seriously be moving forward so quietly if so? I would expect them to be trumpeting it, unless they are holding it to time it with fall stoke.

5 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Would this seriously be moving forward so quietly if so? I would expect them to be trumpeting it, unless they are holding it to time it with fall stoke.

I can see a scenario in which it is quiet. Essentially, the deal is not final yet (guaranteed to be true) but the investing group wants to have everything lined up so they can get a lift installed before next season.

Other options include that this was not done by anyone official or in any official capacity. Seems mighty strange to place stakes and probably take some measurements without being 90% or more of the way towards a deal though.

I just saw this blog entry on the new Spruce Triple from SR:
https://sundayrivermaine.wordpress.com/2017/05/09/the-new-spruce-peak-triple/
And apparently the old chair was not scrapped. It was sent to Lost Valley.

Great update. My neighbor who is working on the install also mentioned some other stuff. He said that they will be blasting the ledge there and pouring a larger concrete "mass" for the base of the top terminal. Apparently in the past few years there have been several failures similar to Spruce Peak where ledge anchoring failed for one reason a another.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:53 AM, Cannonballer said:

Please let this come true! Way too good of a hill to sit vacant! I'm super bummed I didn't get the chance to get up there this past season

On 6/6/2017 at 10:53 AM, Cannonballer said:

But the most interesting thing he mentioned was Saddleback's plans for a new lift this summer.  Doesn't sound like a done deal, but promising news!

Somewhere in the world, @xwhaler has a boner. 

Edited by Flying Yeti
  • Like 1

More newly announced upgrades Sugarbush is working on this summer:

RFID gates at the base lifts
Replacing one of the 6,000 CFM Electric Compressors at Lincoln Peak with one that operates at variable rates
Purchasing another 60 SnowLogic guns

The Union Register has published a list of improvements from Ski NH

http://www.unionleader.com/business/nh-ski-areas-implementing-new-features-improvements--20170827

Some highlights:

• Gunstock Mountain will install radio-frequency identification (RFID) access gates at each lift. 

Guests will be issued an RFID card that will automatically be read by the gates. The cards are reusable and reloadable and will let guests skip ticket lines by loading their card online. 

Gunstock is installing 37 new HKD snow guns as part of a larger initiative to reduce the resort's energy consumption.

• Black Mountain is adding more high-efficiency snow guns. Under a partnership with Ski the Whites, which has a ski shop in the base lodge and offers rentals and lessons, Black Mountain will offer a new backcountry program.

• Loon Mountain is installing 11 semi-automated snowmaking hydrants on Rampasture and upgrading other aspects of the snowmaking infrastructure in the West Basin area.

•  Pats Peak has invested another $250,000 in its snow-making system; added six new fan guns and is installing a new triple-chair lift with a conveyor loading system that will double the lift capacity from 800 to 1,600 guests per hour. 

• Whaleback is celebrating successful fundraising by improving snow making and installing a new T-bar.

• Waterville Valley has added $1.5 million worth of snow-making equipment onto Green Peak; is replacing the J-bar in the learning areas with two new carpet lifts and is completing the first stage of renovations on the ground floor of the base lodge.

I'm surprised that most upgrades were so modest given the decent season. I guess they are still recovering from the year before.

1 minute ago, Weatherman said:

The Union Register has published a list of improvements from Ski NH

http://www.unionleader.com/business/nh-ski-areas-implementing-new-features-improvements--20170827

Some highlights:

I'm surprised that most upgrades were so modest given the decent season. I guess they are still recovering from the year before.

Agreed. Barring disaster this year, we should hopefully see some bigger projects next year!

Didn't know Gunstock was going RFID either.