How to Use This Forum

Welcome to Northeast Mountain Sports!

This post is intended to server as a how-to instruction manual on the site. Please post your questions below. This initial post will be edited / updated as needed to maintain a guide / FAQ.

Posting photos

Just drag and drop your images onto the bar at the bottom of your text edit box. It should look like the one below.

5900b96127acf_ScreenShot2017-04-26at11_14_33AM.png.8a02165a2aa21d429e55aeabe2958ec5.png
The photo should automatically upload to our content manager. When the file is uploaded, click on it in the bar to insert it wherever you want it in the post.

View just unread posts

Click on the circle to the left of the thread title to skip to the first unread post. Clicking on the title of the thread will bring you to the beginning of the thread. If there are no unread posts, the circle will no appear and the title will not be bold.

download.png

What are "Status Updates" under my profile?

Status updates show up under your profile. You can post a new status update from the "Create" menu in the upper left. Below is a snapshot of a status update I posted to my profile.

59c50ca3dc4c8_ScreenShot2017-09-22at9_11_20AM.thumb.png.2d1a4094614ec3a081f7a435a7e17531.png

How does the Discover Unread content filter work?

That's a cool feature that I don't think most people have tried yet. It's like the "Unread" feed in the mobile app. Here's a snapshot on the content types that you can filter by:

59ca9db2e7b87_ScreenShot2017-09-26at2_33_57PM.thumb.png.8a0af72048d342cc6c508286c8b2c39b.png

Your unread feed is sorted by time and includes items from all of these types. If you hover over the icon along the timeline running down the left of the screen, you'll notice that the icon corresponds to the type. Most of these correspond to the various types of databases I have in the system. For example a blog entry, mountain guide, article, etc both share a common structure (HTML page), but fall into different categories.

• Status Updates: Personal updates that you can post to your own profile under the Create button in the upper right next to your account name
  • Topics: A new thread in the forums
  • Events: New entries in the calendars
  • Articles: Articles in our general Articles section
  • Guides: A mountain guide
  • Gear reviews: A user-contributed gear review
  • Albums: A photo album. For now these are limited to club spaces which have their own albums plus one universal album: the gallery. You can also create your own personal album from uploading in the gallery.
  • Adverts: an item posted to the Classifieds section
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, kdaffy said:

What happens to the photo in terms of image rights once its uploaded?  Can anyone download it and use it?  Does the "content manager" gain any rights to the image if we upload?

The "content manager" is my Amazon S3 bucket. It'll go up to a publicly accessible URL open to the world. I don't have any plans to steal your vacation pictures for personal gain, but am not controlling the access of others either.

12 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

I'm not sure what those scores are. If I'm an 8 and you're a 3 I'm assuming it's based on sex appeal. 

The score is the number of times someone has liked one of your posts. It's a popularity contest.

15 minutes ago, Domeskier said:

This is what the forum looks like in my desktop. Am I doing something wrong?  Works fine on phone. 

IMG_0696.JPG

What browser / OS are you using? It looks nothing like that for me.

18 minutes ago, Domeskier said:

This is what the forum looks like in my desktop. Am I doing something wrong?  Works fine on phone. 

IMG_0696.JPG

Looks like the browser isn't allowing javascript. Do you have any addons for privacy or anything like that? Try resetting the browser to the default settings if you don't have any luck. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2017 at 0:52 PM, Domeskier said:

IMG_0696.JPG

This happens to me when I load pages on my mac in chrome. Happens to a lot of websites. I think on my laptop it is caused by switching wifi network the middle of loading a page.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, MarzNC said:

@Weatherman: On other forums, I'm used to the software jumping me to the last unread post in a thread that I've read before.  Is that possible here?  I'm Following a few threads.  But end up having to scroll through posts I've already read, which gets annoying for active threads.

Small chat bubble type things to the left of the thread title on the computer (I think)! Also if you click on the latest thread that shows up on the main forum page (where you can view all the different subforums) that takes you to the latest thread. 

Edited by Jully
1 hour ago, Jully said:

Small chat bubble type things to the left of the thread title on the computer (I think)! Also if you click on the latest thread that shows up on the main forum page (where you can view all the different subforums) that takes you to the latest thread. 

Yes, the bubbles next to the title bring you to the unread posts.