SkiBearded!

Now that some resorts are closed...

I generally don't start skinning until lift service skiing is no longer available to me. For me it's easier and more fun to just ride a lift if the price is right.  I do find great benefit from skiing closed resorts, the excercise, feeling of accomplishment of getting to the top and rewarding ski down. Im hoping this can be a good thread to start a discussion of some of the best option for late season skinners.  Tips, tricks, and best practices are welcome.

To start off I had a pretty wild adventure at Attitash yesterday. To make a long story short I skinned to the top of Bear Peak and was pulled aside by an Attitash employee.  He told me that I I was on private property, needed to leave and if I was caught doing it again I would be arrested.  Looking back I probably should have skinned Wildcat because Attitash does not allow uphill travel, but Attitash is closed and supposedly on national forest land so I figured it shouldn't be a problem.   Am I wrong in this thinking?

2 minutes ago, SkiBearded! said:

To start off I had a pretty wild adventure at Attitash yesterday. To make a long story short I skinned to the top of Bear Peak and was pulled aside by an Attitash employee.  He told me that I I was on private property, needed to leave and if I was caught doing it again I would be arrested.  Looking back I probably should have skinned Wildcat because Attitash does not allow uphill travel, but Attitash is closed and supposedly on national forest land so I figured it shouldn't be a problem.   Am I wrong in this thinking?

I think only the upper half of Attitash is national forest property. I'm not sure about the Bear Peak summit. I don't think there is really an excuse for the hostile attitude.

Just now, SkiBearded! said:

Here's a couple from yesterday.

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

There is more snow there than at Wildcat! I heard as much last week from the AttiCat staff.

3 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

I think only the upper half of Attitash is national forest property. I'm not sure about the Bear Peak summit. I don't think there is really an excuse for the hostile attitude.

I ended up racing the guy down.  He was driving on wandering skis and I was on Illusion.  Illusion skied very well.  I quickly threw my stuff in the car because he grabbed a van and followed/chased me out of the lot.

2 minutes ago, SkiBearded! said:

I ended up racing the guy down.  He was driving on wandering skis and I was on Illusion.  Illusion skied very well.  I quickly threw my stuff in the car because he grabbed a van and followed/chased me out of the lot.

Makes me wonder if he was doing something naughty that he didn't want you to see.

30 minutes ago, SkiBearded! said:

When he pulled you over did you not say you would leave right away? Seems even more of an aggressive action if you said "okay sorry, I'll leave."

1 hour ago, SkiBearded! said:

not that it matters but are you a peak pass holder?

7 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

May13-14th I'm planning on popping the Tucks cherry. Could be a fun meet for the Meow Pow- Zoomed Bar crew.

Not out of the question for me. The Sherbourne is already toast about 1/2 way down. So there will be a LOT of walking out by 5/13.  Kind of a sucky way to do it, but it wouldn't be the first time. I've done it into June and walked it all out. It's worth it just to keep the season going. 

Back to the OP.....   Cannon and Loon still have plenty of coverage left to skin & ski. Both have policies against it, but both seem to look the other way.  I've skinned them both into May and never had any hassles. 

7 hours ago, Jully said:

When he pulled you over did you not say you would leave right away? Seems even more of an aggressive action if you said "okay sorry, I'll leave."

No I said "Sorry I'll leave."  I'm not the sort of person to get into conflicts with random people.  I had no leg to stand on, me top of mountain, car in lot with my shoes in it.  

3 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

Back to the OP.....   Cannon and Loon still have plenty of coverage left to skin & ski. Both have policies against it, but both seem to look the other way.  I've skinned them both into May and never had any hassles. 

I bet Cannon will have snow for a long time.  They blew a lot this season.   I think I'm skinning Wildcat Tuesday.  They support such activities!

4 hours ago, Flying Yeti said:

May13-14th I'm planning on popping the Tucks cherry. Could be a fun meet for the Meow Pow- Zoomed Bar crew.

Will be a good time.  I hated the hike out when I did it in June but the skiing was pretty awesome.

No I said "Sorry I'll leave."  I'm not the sort of person to get into conflicts with random people.  I had no leg to stand on, me top of mountain, car in lot with my shoes in it.  

I didn't think you'd do that. That makes the guy seem either nuts or power crazed.

Sent from my VS987 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

I skinned Crotched a few times after they closed. I was even told by one of their employees I ran into off mtn that it was skinning/skiing well and to give it a try.

57 minutes ago, Smellytele said:

I skinned Crotched a few times after they closed. I was even told by one of their employees I ran into off mtn that it was skinning/skiing well and to give it a try.

Crotched has a very friendly skinning policy which I highly appreciate. Whether it is during a storm/wind hold or after they've closed for the season they are fine with it.