Flying Yeti

Ryan's Beer Thread

1 hour ago, Infinite Dreams said:

Yes and no. It's right in line with the doubles at Trillium. Actually picked up a Finback double that is 4.65 each. Still cheaper than the bars charge by half at least plus a true 16oz compared to the 13-14ozs they are slinging.

Sent from my XT1565 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Damn....Id go broke drinking those !

Damn....Id go broke drinking those !

This is my first Tree House purchase this year!! I hate their wait, I hate having to compete with idiots who don't drink the beer they purchase and the hours suck! The beer is excellent though. New brewery is opening soon from the scuttlebutt in line today with a massive increase to their production. We will see!

f0116982bf092661912697c1072416db.jpg

I usually go for something bolder. But since it was mid-day I opted for the Galaxy Pale Ale. Wow! The dry hopped style made it taste like one of the best IPAs around, yet only 5.9 ABV. Super tasty and refreshing. Worth taking some home

Did the Portland thing yesterday and today! Hit Bissell Bros, Bunker, Liquid Root Rising Tide (favorite of the bunch) Lone Pine, Foundation (second favorite) and DL Geary's. Portland has a great scene and easy to get around. 6d4548583e52572f0cba830f18bdc218.jpgc99d188c3de2cf3fb517fd72436f6c83.jpgf485712fd62cffa8c7f8b00174d965c2.jpga4f72e76ad0459a6fa8f55812c636d2d.jpg83a56f1c99131f585758d15ec913f4d2.jpga293161f80019fe0ad25545d4449c1b6.jpg this lat pic was the Headstash IPA at Liquid Riot. Geary's was cool - old school English style brewery, their summer was very good. Lone Pines oh-J IPA was excellent and the M.I.T.A. session from Rising Tide is a crusher!

• Like 1

Did the Portland thing yesterday and today! Hit Bissell Bros, Bunker, Liquid Root Rising Tide (favorite of the bunch) Lone Pine, Foundation (second favorite) and DL Geary's. Portland has a great scene and easy to get around. 6d4548583e52572f0cba830f18bdc218.jpgc99d188c3de2cf3fb517fd72436f6c83.jpgf485712fd62cffa8c7f8b00174d965c2.jpga4f72e76ad0459a6fa8f55812c636d2d.jpg83a56f1c99131f585758d15ec913f4d2.jpga293161f80019fe0ad25545d4449c1b6.jpg this lat pic was the Headstash IPA at Liquid Riot. Geary's was cool - old school English style brewery, their summer was very good. Lone Pines oh-J IPA was excellent and the M.I.T.A. session from Rising Tide is a crusher!

Check out Foul Mouthed next time you are up there. An old co-worker of mine is one of the brewers. He was a chef by trade, but a home brew hobbyist. He kept winning numerous home brew competitions in town where the prize would be getting to brew a beer as a special release for a commercial Brewer. I know he got to do so with Allagash a couple of times. Eventually Foul Mouthed came to him and offered him a job

Stopped into Deciduous, my local brewery for the first time in several months. The brewmaster spent a lot of time in Europe, so his focus is more on things like Berliner Weisse, Lambic, Gose etc. He's produced a few different pale ales and IPAs over the couple of years they've been open and they haven't really excited me much. They are also quite expensive at $9 for a 750ml fill.

Today I got a fill of their Stack 1.0 New England style IPA. Definitely a top notch job. Not a total juice bomb or over the top with hops, but really, really good. Super crushable. Reminds me a lot of Trillium Congress Street.

If anyone is ever visiting the NH sea coast area breweries, Deciduous has a great tasting room and is worth a visit.

4670d20b1a5c7331be741418f84a695b.jpg

I'm not really a fan of the style. To me it tastes like sea water with a beer after taste.

Gose does pair well with food though. Last summer on a visit to Stowe we stopped into Piecasso. My old housemate from town is the GM. He insisted that I have a Lost Nation Gose with our pizza. They are pretty famous for their Gose. I enjoyed the combination, but anytime I've tried to drink Gose as a stand alone, I can't finish it.

This beer thread is named after me, but my tastes are very basic. I pretty much only drink Pales, IPAs, Porters and Stouts. I'll try anything, but those styles are my go to choices.

Time for me to be contrarian. I had the Cranberry Gose this week at Long Trail. Unexpectedly I liked it.

From my business travel I picked up a love of Berlin Weiss. When traveling to Berlin your two choices of beer are pilsner and Weiss. Not much variety but they are both delicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

10 hours ago, Flying Yeti said:

So many beers from upstate New York this week. And they all suck!

Where were you?  I had a couple good ones from Lake Placid.

So apparently buying up craft breweries isn't enough for InBev. They now are buying beer websites.....in this case Ratebeer. Personally I prefer Beer Advocate, but I agree with the position of Dogfish Head on this subject.

Wonder what other breweries will follow their lead.

http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/dogfish-head-asks-removed-ratebeer-com/

So apparently buying up craft breweries isn't enough for InBev. They now are buying beer websites.....in this case Ratebeer. Personally I prefer Beer Advocate, but I agree with the position of Dogfish Head on this subject.

Wonder what other breweries will follow their lead.

http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/dogfish-head-asks-removed-ratebeer-com/

Here's an interesting take on why AB is buying up craft breweries.

http:// http://goodbeerhunting.com/blog/2017/5/5/watch-the-hands-not-the-cards-the-magic-of-megabrew

Sent from my XT1080 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

That's a good read.   I agree with some of the theories.  It remains to be seen how pricing will change.   Goose Island is relatively cheap compared to other Craft beers.  I'm not sure what their pricing was like prior to AB buying them.   I haven't noticed significant decreases in pricing from Ballast Point or Lagunitas since they were gobbled up.  

One concept in the article I'm not sure I agree with is the thought that if the gap between craft beer and "premium" domestic beers is shortened, that many customers will go back to buying the domestic product.   If anything I would think the opposite would be true.   If I see Bud heavies on a shelf for $6 a six pack and Wicked Weed next to it for $8, I'm certainly not thinking, "I'll just buy the Bud.  The Wicked Weed is only $2 more so it must not be all that much better."  

23 minutes ago, Puck it said:

New Taproom open in Andover.  Oak and Iron Brewery.

May go this week and taste.

Good suggestion. I'm booked up much of this week, but I'd be interested in a beer gathering. Andover is close to home for me.

15 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Good suggestion. I'm booked up much of this week, but I'd be interested in a beer gathering. Andover is close to home for me.

I work in Lawrence so if the timing worked I'd be up for meeting up

1 hour ago, deadheadskier said:

One concept in the article I'm not sure I agree with is the thought that if the gap between craft beer and "premium" domestic beers is shortened, that many customers will go back to buying the domestic product.

I'm not sure that's exactly the point. I think, from a branding perspective, when the cost of a "craft" brew is more in line with AB's "premium" brews, the value of the "premium" brand is not as adversely affected. From the article:

Price matters because as consumers have grown accustomed to seeing $10+/six packs of craft beer...the $7/six pack of AB's "premium" beer risks becoming "cheap" or "discount".  ...there is an erosion of brand equity, which leads to an erosion in brand value, which could lead to a real loss on the bottom line...

I think the point is, for the majority of people that buy Bud or Bud Light, when the cost of those are more in line with a "craft" brew, the value of the brand is not impacted and the brand can remain "premium" and protect the bottom line. So, if AB can buy up these craft breweries, reduce the cost of those craft brews, and limit distribution of independent craft breweries, it ultimately protects their bread and butter brands' values.

Edited by 2manyhobbies