Flying Yeti

Ryan's Beer Thread

I think the point is, for the majority of people that buy Bud or Bud Light, when the cost of those are more in line with a "craft" brew, the value of the brand is not impacted and the brand can remain "premium" and protect the bottom line. So, if AB can buy up these craft breweries, reduce the cost of those craft brews, and limit distribution of independent craft breweries, it ultimately protects their bread and butter brands' values.

I guess that makes sense. Though I'd say the ship has sailed for many consumers in thinking of ABs core products as premium.

In terms of impacting distribution of independent breweries, hopefully the independent beer retailers and bars push back a bit against AB and just stop carrying their products.

Sent from my XT1565 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

7 minutes ago, deadheadskier said:

Though I'd say the ship has sailed for many consumers in thinking of ABs core products as premium.

That's certainly true in a lot of parts of the country, especially where there's a strong, craft brew presence. However, I think there's still plenty of places where Bud and Bud Light are premium. We lived in Canton, OH for a couple of years back in the late '90s and my wife worked for the AB distributor. It was one of the few in the country actually owned by AB. Their biggest seller back then was Busch. People with home taps would actually come in and buy kegs of the stuff. No kidding. Even as far back as that, AB had started buying into craft breweries. At the time, they had already bought into Red Hook. My wife got two cases of beer a month and she got Red Hook because they always had extra.

13 minutes ago, Jully said:

HAHA perfect.

Even more perfect was the timing of that. I thought of that picture immediately last night but was too lazy to try to find it. Then this morning it showed up in my Facebook memories from 3 years ago today.

AB InBev, Heineken, Miller Coors are swooping in a buying regional breweries that have beer that can compete.  Personally I have Elysian Space dust in my fridge next too Sip Of Sunshine and Jigsaw Jazz.  I enjoy them all differently.  Space Dust is the cheapest and very highly rated so it can immediately compete against other double ipas in this area. And no where on the bottle does it say owned by AB. This now creates even more of a challenge for local and regional independent brewers.

Speaking of AB, is anyone doing the Rockin Rib fest at the Merrimack NH Brewery this weekend ?

and secondly........anyone heard of the LobHopster Fest in Portsmouth NH this Sunday.......any feed back on this event ? never been but Beer and Lobster cant be bad right ?

Speaking of AB, is anyone doing the Rockin Rib fest at the Merrimack NH Brewery this weekend ?

and secondly........anyone heard of the LobHopster Fest in Portsmouth NH this Sunday.......any feed back on this event ? never been but Beer and Lobster cant be bad right ?

We'll never made it up to Portsmouth, but I did hit a few breweries locally.

Pipe Dreams and 603 in Londonderry

Really liked the brews at Pipe Dreams

Bombshell Blonde,Naked 3 sum and 'tis single Barrel imperial Stout.... it rocked out at 13.5% ABV. Good stuff but only growler fills. I think we'll be seeing that stout at Zoomer Bar for breakfast !!

http://pipedreambrewingnh.com/beer_type/coming-soon/

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

We'll never made it up to Portsmouth, but I did hit a few breweries locally.
Pipe Dreams and 603 in Londonderry
Really liked the brews at Pipe Dreams
Bombshell Blonde,Naked 3 sum and 'tis single Barrel imperial Stout.... it rocked out at 13.5% ABV. Good stuff but only growler fills. I think we'll be seeing that stout at Zoomer Bar for breakfast !!

http://pipedreambrewingnh.com/beer_type/coming-soon/

I've had the Pipe Dream on tap a couple times at a place in Londonderry. Been thinking of visiting the tap room at 603

There are like 4-5 nano breweries in Derry/Londonderry alone right now

Sent from my XT1254 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

I've had the Pipe Dream on tap a couple times at a place in Londonderry. Been thinking of visiting the tap room at 603

There are like 4-5 nano breweries in Derry/Londonderry alone right now

Sent from my XT1254 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

I know ! It's crazy right ! I didn't even know half of them existed.
They're both no frills, almost garage type rooms.

I bought it as the gimmicky can caught my eye. It tasted terrific but I was coming off a super long bike ride so I guess anything would have tasted good. I'll need to get more for a proper assessment.

8 hours ago, dblskifanatic said:

This is pretty good. Slight hint of grapefruit with nice hippy flavor.

afe97f927950ea12c4d144b7b2e7ba99.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

I am having a hard time imagining grapefruit beer being any good.

I am seeking inspiration. I have a Saco canoe trip coming up on Saturday. I need a canned beer suggestion to bring with me. Let's hear it!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

I am seeking inspiration. I have a Saco canoe trip coming up on Saturday. I need a canned beer suggestion to bring with me. Let's hear it!

Two Roads Brewing....Road 2 Ruin , 603 Wood Devil, Six Point Resin / Puff or Hi res

I don't really care for fruit flavored beer. I like beer flavored beer just as I like coffee flavored coffee. GTFO with hazelnut crap.

The exception being the grapefruit sculpin, which is also available in cans. The grapefruit is subtle, almost like an extension of a citra hop. It is a damn refreshing IPA on a hot summer day.

That said, I've stopped supporting Ballast Point once they sold out and especially because that sale didn't result in a drop in price on their products.

If a local, independent brewer produced a grapefruit sculpin clone I'd be all over it.

Sent from my XT1565 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

44 minutes ago, deadheadskier said:

I don't really care for fruit flavored beer. I like beer flavored beer just as I like coffee flavored coffee. GTFO with hazelnut crap.

The exception being the grapefruit sculpin, which is also available in cans. The grapefruit is subtle, almost like an extension of a citra hop. It is a damn refreshing IPA on a hot summer day.

Taste buds are a funny thing.  I also don't like flavored coffee or fruity beers.  Yet opposite of you I can handle the random hazelnut coffee in the right setting, but I literally can't swallow a teaspoon of that Grapefruit Sculpin. 

1 hour ago, Flying Yeti said:

Most "New England" style IPA or DIPA or "juice bombs" have grapefruit, pineapple, etc. Just a matter of how much. 

Another one of my Favorite go too beers is Longtrail Citrus Limbo, not in cans as of yet but the regular Limbo is out in pint cans now.

Not over powering in the citrus taste though on either one........