kdaffy

Introduce yourself

1 hour ago, LiquidFeet said:

I'm an immigrant from EpicSki, which is shutting down right now.  I'll give this site a try as my new home and see if we're a good match.

Someone here might want to post at Epic in one of the remaining live threads inviting people who ski in NE to register here.  Most regular members are migrating to PugSki.  

Welcome and hope it is a fit. Pretty solid group that is on here. All very passionate and the ones I know better, a little nuts!!

1 hour ago, Smellytele said:

Sorry guys found you. You can't run and hide from me.

33 minutes ago, dblskifanatic said:

Tried AZ but it seems like a ghost town lately.  Also it seems like several on that forum took things too seriously!

Glad to have you guys. Welcome to the cool kids club!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dblskifanatic said:

Tried AZ but it seems like a ghost town lately.  Also it seems like several on that forum took things too seriously!

Exactly.  

I'm the same cdskier from AZ and the MRV forum. I never joined some other forums like Epic due to their lack of eastern focus. Figured I may as well join here due to the eastern focus. AZ has been a little too quiet at times.

I started skiing back in HS (~1996/1997) and have been hooked ever since. Back then I skied mostly the Poconos and NJ with a day trip here or there to the Catskills. It wasn't until college that I first went to Vermont and saw a "big" mountain. The first winter after college was when I visited Sugarbush and immediately fell in love with the mountain. I made it a point to always do one long weekend in Sugarbush every year after that. Other weekend trips would rotate between places like K/Pico, Stowe, Gore, and Whiteface. I'd also frequently visit the Catskills on day trips (mainly Belleayre and Plattekill). As of the 2011/2012 season, I made Sugarbush my home mountain and became a passholder there. I now am up there most weekends in the winter.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cdskier said:

I'm the same cdskier from AZ and the MRV forum. I never joined some other forums like Epic due to their lack of eastern focus. Figured I may as well join here due to the eastern focus. AZ has been a little too quiet at times.

AZ is also dominated by a couple of western skiers talking about eastern skiing.  Eastern skiers reporting on their few glorious days out west is more than welcome. But if you've got Alta in your backyard STF about New England skiing.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:

AZ is also dominated by a couple of western skiers talking about eastern skiing.  Eastern skiers reporting on their few glorious days out west is more than welcome. But if you've got Alta in your backyard STF about New England skiing.  

Hah...so true!

3 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

Well one of the guys is from Utah and a Moderator - never understood that one.  One of the owners of AZ is from Colorado and related to the other owner who moved to Florida, Another has lived in several western states but was back east this past season, and another is in Colorado for his first year but has been with AZ for 5 ish years.  I do think that those from out west have been active on AZ and have roots in the Northeast and probably know or have skied with several posters on AZ.  They may know a lot about and can contribute to Northeast discussions.

I thought that this new forum would get away from the petty divisiveness.

1 minute ago, dblskifanatic said:

Well one of the guys is from Utah and a Moderator - never understood that one.  

Yes, never understood that one.  That's what I'm referencing.

41 minutes ago, dblskifanatic said:

Well one of the guys is from Utah and a Moderator - never understood that one.  One of the owners of AZ is from Colorado and related to the other owner who moved to Florida, Another has lived in several western states but was back east this past season, and another is in Colorado for his first year but has been with AZ for 5 ish years.  I do think that those from out west have been active on AZ and have roots in the Northeast and probably know or have skied with several posters on AZ.  They may know a lot about and can contribute to Northeast discussions.

I thought that this new forum would get away from the petty divisiveness.

Ya lets keep it above the fray

• Like 1

Just going to clear up a few misconceptions about AZ and please don't take this as me defending everything about the site, it's owners or moderators (especially that prick DHS) nor am I trying to sway anyone's opinion.

Ownership - two owners; Skistef and Nick. When they purchased the website (I guess 4 years ago now?) Stef lived in VT and was a K passholder and Nick in Mass. Maybe a year after purchase, Stef moved to Breckenridge with her now husband. She's huge into skiing, often skinning up local mountains before work. I'm guessing she skis at least 50 days a year, though that likely has changed with the recent birth of a son. She's never been much into online skiing discussions though. Maybe she thought she would be when she purchased AZ with Nick. Nick within the past month moved to Florida. I'm not sure of his participation in the sport prior, but recently after AZ he started a family and hasnt skied much more than ten days a year since. He strikes me as the type of person who isn't a "passionate nut" about any one thing. In terms of their efforts running and participating in AZ, I definitely see the same things that folks are often critical of.

Trailboss was one of the earlier members of the website. Hes been a moderator for as long as I've been on AZ. So, at least 2005. He's a multiple generation Vermonter growing up in the Burke area and living in the state through law school. I guess it's been about five years now, but his wife got accepted for her medical residency out in Utah, they fell in love with it and stayed. He's still quite passionate and knowledgeable about Eastern skiing and returns home every winter to ski Burke and usually a few other Eastern Mountains. Should he have moved on from moderating an Eastern focused forum when he moved out West? I don't really have an opinion on it. He shares a lot about skiing in Utah, but still participates way more in Eastern discussions.

In terms of how the forum is moderated, it's not perfect, no forum moderating is, mistakes are made and it's very rare that we all agree on the actions of other moderators. I don't always agree with the decisions of others, they don't agree with mine. That said, I may voice my disagreement in private with the other mods, but I will support them publicly and expect they to do the same with me. Big decisions like timeouts and bans there's always a quorum. I can say that I'm happy to be just a member of the "general population" here! Moderating is usually a pretty thankless job.

In terms of how to run/moderator this website, I'd recommend Weatherman, Fcksummer and all to take a similar approach to AZ. Don't take that as me saying the rules, troll tolerance etc. should be the same. I'm more just referring to how you work together and support each other as management. Right now everything is hunky dory around here, but that will change as the community grows. The assholes will come - always! Right now almost everyone at least knows​ each other online and probably most do in person too and are friends.

I signed up for NMS because I consider Weatherman a friend and want to support him. I always enjoy talking with many of the current members and some like Cannonballer who had moved on from AZ and it's great to hear his perspective again. I don't wish for AZs demise, I'm not defecting from there for here nor do I think one needs to be one or the other. Ultimately competition is a good thing and I believe a rising tide lifts all boats. I'll spend the most time where the conversations interest me the most as well as what provides the best avenue for actually meeting and skiing with people; that's the number 1 for why I do the online thing.

I'm sure Weatherman will do very well and I'm psyched someone with the passion he has is trying to build skiing community.....and provide an additional outlet for folks bored at work.

Sent from my XT1565 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

• Like 4

I'm hopeful this forum will thrive and perhaps out-perform AZ at some point because it is being run by someone who is actually passionate about skiing, and who lives in the northeast and knows what is going on around here.  If the owners of AZ wish to have a successful business and enjoy the return on their investment, they should actively participate in the forum and do what they can to increase and maintain traffic, rather than hope that the rest of us do the work for them.  I hope that Bryan's hard work in creating this forum pays off, and that we can all enjoy having somewhere to talk to others who are equally obsessive out our favorite sports!  (Sorry for the continued thread derailment.  Sort of...!)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, deadheadskier said:

Trailboss was one of the earlier members of the website. Hes been a moderator for as long as I've been on AZ. So, at least 2005. He's a multiple generation Vermonter growing up in the Burke area and living in the state through law school. I guess it's been about five years now, but his wife got accepted for her medical residency out in Utah, they fell in love with it and stayed. He's still quite passionate and knowledgeable about Eastern skiing and returns home every winter to ski Burke and usually a few other Eastern Mountains. Should he have moved on from moderating an Eastern focused forum when he moved out West? I don't really have an opinion on it. He shares a lot about skiing in Utah, but still participates way more in Eastern discussions.

I signed up for NMS because I consider Weatherman a friend and want to support him. I always enjoy talking with many of the current members and some like Cannonballer who had moved on from AZ and it's great to hear his perspective again. I don't wish for AZs demise, I'm not defecting from there for here nor do I think one needs to be one or the other. Ultimately competition is a good thing and I believe a rising tide lifts all boats. I'll spend the most time where the conversations interest me the most as well as what provides the best avenue for actually meeting and skiing with people; that's the number 1 for why I do the online thing.

I'm sure Weatherman will do very well and I'm psyched someone with the passion he has is trying to build skiing community.....and provide an additional outlet for folks bored at work. emoji6.png

Haven't figured out how to separate one quote into multiple sections to respond to pieces individually on this forum....

In regards to TB, I don't particularly have an issue with him still being a mod over on AZ. I've only been on that forum a couple years but still figured out he had a lot of eastern ties. I do have a slight issue with when he makes comments about things that while maybe true in the past, are no longer true and instead of listening to the people that currently ski at that area in the east to hear that said issues have been addressed by the resort, he continues to spread rumors of wide-spread issues that simply aren't true.

In general I have no issues with western skiers (whether they were previously eastern or not) participating in either forum, as long as they don't constantly remind us in every post that the west has more snow or better conditions, etc. Whether they intend to do that or just do it without realizing it, it still annoys me. Just let us enjoy our eastern skiing in peace! B| We know the challenges and risks of skiing here.

As for AZ vs NMS, I agree completely with you DHS. I plan to participate in both. I say having more than one forum with an eastern focus is great. We have a lot of great skiing in the east and there are a lot of people here skiing, yet we're constantly overshadowed by the west. I'm all for having multiple outlets for those of us that are passionate about skiing here.

• Like 1

Well this thread went sideways...

I have great dreams for this forum. I realize that the timing was questionable, but I hope to have a more complete framework come fall when the masses smell the fall air and think winter.

I encourage everyone to contribute and bring their friends onboard. If we can grow over the summer months, it's rainbows and unicorns from there.

35 minutes ago, cdskier said:

Haven't figured out how to separate one quote into multiple sections to respond to pieces individually on this forum....

In regards to TB, I don't particularly have an issue with him still being a mod over on AZ. I've only been on that forum a couple years but still figured out he had a lot of eastern ties. I do have a slight issue with when he makes comments about things that while maybe true in the past, are no longer true and instead of listening to the people that currently ski at that area in the east to hear that said issues have been addressed by the resort, he continues to spread rumors of wide-spread issues that simply aren't true.

In general I have no issues with western skiers (whether they were previously eastern or not) participating in either forum, as long as they don't constantly remind us in every post that the west has more snow or better conditions, etc. Whether they intend to do that or just do it without realizing it, it still annoys me. Just let us enjoy our eastern skiing in peace! B| We know the challenges and risks of skiing here.

As for AZ vs NMS, I agree completely with you DHS. I plan to participate in both. I say having more than one forum with an eastern focus is great. We have a lot of great skiing in the east and there are a lot of people here skiing, yet we're constantly overshadowed by the west. I'm all for having multiple outlets for those of us that are passionate about skiing here.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I'm just stoked to have as many forums to participate in while bored at work. This place already feels superior to AZ in some ways, but many of the 'annoyances of AZ I also find endearing (DLauge). Props for everyone's hard work to make every forum happen, Mods definitely included.

@cdskier I totally get where you are coming from regarding trailboss and Sugarbush and I agree with you. He is living in the past as a former Sugarbush lover scorned. We may be moderator broze on AZ, but I've certainly questioned why he is still often way too critical of the place especially being so far removed for as long as he has

A comparable situation would be me with Wildcat. There is something very unique about being so passionate about your home hill and having it go through periods of not living up to your expectations and passion. Trailboss left for Utah following a time of great frustration at Sugarbush with lift failures and snowmaking. Sugarbush has largely addressed those issues, but he doesn't realize it like you do as a still regular. He lives in Utah. I went through it with Wildcat a few years ago after two years of pathetic snowmaking and took my money elsewhere for a year. They fixed it, I came back, the mountain has been mostly great since and I'm a huge homer again. I will online shank a man between the testicles who craps on the Cat as witnessed by me getting so pissed at sikskier this spring when he only skies there one day a year.

The thing I will give Trailboss credit for is that he's never once rubbed it in our faces about how much better the skiing is at Snowbird. He's hasn't become a Western ski snob. The people that do, are pretty annoying.

I'm not going to mention names, but there's a certain member of AZ who never had a bad day of skiing in his entire life in the East. He always took what the mountain gave him. He could spend a night at Pat's Peak skiing frozen granular groomers and coral reef bumps and write a two page trip report with 47 pictures talking about how much fun he had because he set his expectations properly. Now he lives out west, gloats about how great it is and looks at the 21 day forecast in New England and tells people how much the skiing is gonna suck three weeks from now. That's pretty lame. Folks call him on it, he denies it. That's even more lame.

Never forget your roots, where your passion came from and absolutely never shit on that place.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, deadheadskier said:

@cdskier I totally get where you are coming from regarding trailboss and Sugarbush and I agree with you. He is living in the past as a former Sugarbush lover scorned. We may be moderator broze on AZ, but I've certainly questioned why he is still often way too critical of the place especially being so far removed for as long as he has

A comparable situation would be me with Wildcat. There is something very unique about being so passionate about your home hill and having it go through periods of not living up to your expectations and passion. Trailboss left for Utah following a time of great frustration at Sugarbush with lift failures and snowmaking. Sugarbush has largely addressed those issues, but he doesn't realize it like you do as a still regular. He lives in Utah. I went through it with Wildcat a few years ago after two years of pathetic snowmaking and took my money elsewhere for a year. They fixed it, I came back, the mountain has been mostly great since and I'm a huge homer again. I will online shank a man between the testicles who craps on the Cat as witnessed by me getting so pissed at sikskier this spring when he only skies there one day a year.

The thing I will give Trailboss credit for is that he's never once rubbed it in our faces about how much better the skiing is at Snowbird. He's hasn't become a Western ski snob. The people that do, are pretty annoying.

I'm not going to mention names, but there's a certain member of AZ who never had a bad day of skiing in his entire life in the East. He always took what the mountain gave him. He could spend a night at Pat's Peak skiing frozen granular groomers and coral reef bumps and write a two page trip report with 47 pictures talking about how much fun he had because he set his expectations properly. Now he lives out west, gloats about how great it is and looks at the 21 day forecast in New England and tells people how much the skiing is gonna suck three weeks from now. That's pretty lame. Folks call him on it, he denies it. That's even more lame.

Never forget your roots, where your passion came from and absolutely never shit on that place.

I think you hit the nail on the head on all counts here. You are 100% right that TB has not become a western snob. The other person you're speaking of though...yea...he's driving me nuts and I've called him out on it too a couple times yet he denied it. Oh well. C'est la vie!

Same as on AZ and Pugski, I am a longtime skier that looks forward to every weekend to go skiing from November to April. I love the energy that many of the folks on this site have for skiing and hope to share my experiences and hear yours. Weatherman's energy for the sport is second to none and I wish him good luck and all the support we can give him. I am into ski gear so I look forward to future discussions of ski gear , reviews  and opions