kdaffy

Introduce yourself

3 hours ago, hrstrat57 said:

Something about the whole ski diva thing I’ve never quite understood.....

Maybe because you are . . . umm . . . not qualified to join?  Probably related to the concepts in the book "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus."  My mother gave me that book.  She was a very smart woman.  Was married to my father for over 60 years.

It's fair to say that every ski forum has it's own vibe and reason for existing.  Different strokes for different folks.  Just as there are skiers who prefer Alta and others who spend their time in LCC mostly at Snowbird.

3 hours ago, hrstrat57 said:

Long season ahead @MarzNC !!

It is a great crew of regulars midweek you’ll love it. Two days in already!!

woo hoo !!!!

c u soon!

no weekends ever for me = bronze pass

Yeah, but I'm not going to be in Boston that much during ski season.  Heading to Taos and Telluride in Feb, then my late season trip to Alta Lodge goes for three weeks this time.  Plus spending a week in New Orleans in March with my husband when he has a professional conference to attend.

Hoping to get in a day or two the week before Christmas when I'm picking up my daughter for her winter break.  I'll keep an eye on the Wachusett thread.

4 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Neither. In a “Field of Dreams” sense. Go watch the movie if you don’t understand. It will be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

I got it.  Wasn't offended at all.  Just poking fun a bit.  From what I can tell, most of the posters on NMS so far are male.  I was a tomboy growing up.  Still am in many ways.  Plus I think a lot more like a New Yorker than the southerners who were born and raised in rural North Carolina.

Looking forward to being a member of this community.  Mid week skier, mostly, hoping to improve my skiing this winter.  Max pass holder and part of Attitash Race League.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MarzNC said:

Probably related to the concepts in the book "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus."  

Great book - I wish my wife would read it....!

3 hours ago, Cannonballer said:

I stand corrected. I just looked it up and you're right it's "he will come".
Wait. What was the question again?

How could you forget the right quote?

If you build it, he will come.

Ease his pain

Once you finally figure out what it all meant, you're in tears. I dare you not to cry!

6 hours ago, hrstrat57 said:

Mostly we talk about shoes, boys, and how hard math is. 

:P

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 11/16/2017 at 9:02 PM, BumpOut said:

Does that mean that @Weatherman gets to be a semi-shameless promoter of NMS on your site?!

I would welcome him.  To me it's all about signal to noise. I don't know him well, but what from I've seen he's all signal.

Edited by Harvey
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MarzNC said:

And Harvey should talk to Bryan about this software.  Although probably overkill for NYSkiBlog.  The other regional ski forum I'm on is SkiSoutheast.  They use another platform, but I wouldn't recommend it.  TheSkiDiva and Pugski use Xenforo but I think that's relatively expensive.  I'm an IT professional, but have enough professional experience with computers as a statistician going back to the 1970s to appreciate the limitations of any end-user software platform.

Our platform bites I admit. We are moving away from it.  Our site is on WordPress, except for the forum. We are moving the forum to WordPress, not because it is the best, but because it is good, it will be supported in the future and I have access to a really talented WP developer who works for me extremely cheaply.  Our new platform will be a lot better, but probably not as good as this.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hrstrat57 said:

Why does it seem that many ski forum members are mostly men? I have a theory.

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎17 at 9:56 AM, MarzNC said:

In any case, I think there might be a few more northeast Divas who may give NMS a look

Like me?   (aka Diymom on SkiDiva)

Currently in the Boston area.  I have been an off and on skier over the years, but am definitely a happier person in the winter if I am skiing.  I upgraded my  Bronze pass at WaWa  to Silver with their "rest and next" near the end of last season.  Still planning on avoiding the weekend crowds and skiing mostly during the week, but there were enough uncrowded spring weekends last year to make it seem worthwhile.  Hoping for another long season this year. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jcb890 said:

Hey everyone!

Snowborder over here.  I'm also on AlpineZone and Snowboarding Forum with the same username and saw this from AZ.

It's about time! We gotta get more boarders over here!

• Like 1

Hi all! I've been lurking for a few weeks and really enjoying the community. It's been my go-to for conditions and weather updates and since my ski season starts tomorrow (Cannon!) I thought I should join.

From NH originally and last year was my first full winter back in Boston after several years in NYC. Last year was great revisiting a lot of the mountains from my youth but I kept getting pulled back to Cannon and Killington. I'm also trying to work through a big list of Northeast ski areas I haven't yet been too - hoping to check off Black, Berkshire East and Magic this year.

Here's to a snowy winter!

• Like 4

On 5/5/2017 at 8:26 AM, SkiBearded! said:

I've pretty much had a beard since I was 12 so I pretty much always ski bearded.  I'm catsup948 in AZ but I have never been to into posting.  I honestly don't have much time to post as I'm either skiing or making up for work I should have done instead of skiing.  I'll contribute what I can, when I can and I hope this forum really takes off.  

I found my new skiing costume to dress up as @SkiBearded!

Well, lots of new members, especially the Ladies! Looks like winter mode is starting to kick in.

It would be great to have more women on the board. It's a shame that most other sites trend to drive them away, and that SkiDiva has to be exclusive to make up for that. It shouldn't be THAT hard to find common interest right?? I mean we're all here for the skiing and riding.... and beer.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:

It would be great to have more women on the board. It's a shame that most other sites trend to drive them away, and that SkiDiva has to be exclusive to make up for that. It shouldn't be THAT hard to find common interest right?? I mean we're all here for the skiing and riding.... and beer.

I don't mean to hijack (Hi @Catherine ! Jaeger shot followed by a good pilsner, amirite!?) but that would be a really interesting discussion. What is it about co-ed forums that sometimes discourage women? It could go off the rails pretty quickly, though, I bet. Maybe it would be a better in-person convo. A "Beer and Ski Forum Gender Relations Summit."  I bet we could get grant funding for that....  :)

• Like 3

Older AZ posters know me as riverc0il. I left AZ years before it became the cool thing to do. :D

I miss skiing with others so I am hoping to change that this season, both reconnecting with folks that I've skied with in the past and making some new friends as well. 

I play the field and follow the powder, generally not skiing when conditions aren't good. Not having a home base has made it hard to connect with folks, I usually don't decide where I am going until each weekend. Mid-week powder days are an automatic vacation day, otherwise I only ski weekends. I spend most of my time in NoVT (Smuggs, Jay, MRG, etc.) but I ski Cannon when I can, it remains my favorite mountain (probably going to get a season pass there next season now that they have solid snow making). I hike for turns early/late season and when there are wind holds mid-season but I mostly ride lifts during the winter. I spend most of my time in the trees.

I maintain a blog but those posts tend to be more personal reflections (often meant to be read metaphorically) as opposed to a strictly trip reporting (which is how the thing started and remained until recently). But I plan to contribute condition based TRs on here when something seems worth reporting.

Cheers.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SallyCat said:

I don't mean to hijack (Hi @Catherine ! Jaeger shot followed by a good pilsner, amirite!?) but that would be a really interesting discussion. What is it about co-ed forums that sometimes discourage women? It could go off the rails pretty quickly, though, I bet. Maybe it would be a better in-person convo. A "Beer and Ski Forum Gender Relations Summit."  I bet we could get grant funding for that....  :)

Great. Would you like to be our Chairwoman of Gender Relations?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Great. Would you like to be our Chairwoman of Gender Relations?

Well, if we are going to have a “Gender Relations” committee, perhaps it should be chairperson ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3