Bootfitter Recommendations

Who's your go to bootfitter?  What have been your experiences (good or bad)? Discuss.

I don't have anyone locally.  I bought my current Lange Banshee's at Taos's Bootdoctors and am in the market.  If you are ever in NM, these guys are top notch!

Define locally?

A lot of people I know go to Stan and Dan's in North Conway. But I've also heard a few people with not so great experiences. I plan to tackle this question in the near future for my wife who has tricky feet. I'm a pretty easy foot to fit so I've had luck just going to the shop early in the season and trying out absolutely everything until I find the best fit.

I had my custom footbeds done at Stan and Dan's. My wife got hers at Summit Ski in Framingham, MA. We were both happy. I've heard that the absolute best guy for full blown custom ski orthotics is Adam at Sport Thoma in Lincoln.

10 minutes ago, kdaffy said:

For my purposes I was thinking MA, but if I defer this purchase to the early season, would be more new england in general. Thanks for the recommendations!

Mix reviews at Ski Haus in Burlington. Ask for Steve and you should be okay. Summit in Framingham is a decent bet. I once heard a reference to the Ski Monster in Boston.

1 minute ago, Weatherman said:

Mix reviews at Ski Haus in Burlington. Ask for Steve and you should be okay. Summit in Framingham is a decent bet. I once heard a reference to the Ski Monster in Boston.

I went to Ski Haus once, and no one gave me the time of day.  I dont intend of going back.

My buddy had a good experience at Summit so I was considering it.  Anyone been to boston ski and tennis post the ski stop acquisition?  I've read ski stop had a quality team, but not sure what's happened to them since the acquisition.

3 minutes ago, kdaffy said:

I went to Ski Haus once, and no one gave me the time of day.  I dont intend of going back.

My buddy had a good experience at Summit so I was considering it.  Anyone been to boston ski and tennis post the ski stop acquisition?  I've read ski stop had a quality team, but not sure what's happened to them since the acquisition.

I have not dealt with them post-acquisition. I have not heard anything extraordinarily bad though. I think there has been some team turnover though.

Ski Monster in Boston gives an okay tune. I've only used them for some base welds which I was happy with. They are a young group of guys as far as I can tell. Very friendly and will certainly give you the time of day, but I doubt they are a serious bootfitting crew.

Were you seeing Paul Richelson's this season too? How did that turn out?
Also, does anyone know if bootfitters usually offer a discount in the summer/spring versus fall and winter seasons?

I was planning on doing it, but ended up cancelling my appointment because it was scheduled on a powder day. Lol

I'll probably revisit it in the fall.

Sent from my XT1565 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

I'll recommend go to bootfitter at or near mountain you going to ski. Because if you have a problems multiple visits could take some time.

if you don't have footbed might consider to have one done at the same time. Also custom foot bed is not a rocket science can be done DIY

• 4 months later...
On 4/27/2017 at 3:34 PM, Weatherman said:

Define locally?

A lot of people I know go to Stan and Dan's in North Conway. But I've also heard a few people with not so great experiences. I plan to tackle this question in the near future for my wife who has tricky feet. I'm a pretty easy foot to fit so I've had luck just going to the shop early in the season and trying out absolutely everything until I find the best fit.

I had my custom footbeds done at Stan and Dan's. My wife got hers at Summit Ski in Framingham, MA. We were both happy. I've heard that the absolute best guy for full blown custom ski orthotics is Adam at Sport Thoma in Lincoln.

I got new boots and footbeds from Adam at Sport Thoma in Lincoln. We took about two hours and they fit great. I'm excited to take them out in a couple of months!

It's worth noting that Adam Greenier actually has his own orthotics company and contracts on Friday and Saturday for Sport Thoma. He's qualified to make a full prescription orthotic. He's also offered to contribute content here. I just sent him an email about coming over to North Conway to run a special fitting session there. I'm optimistic about establishing an ongoing relationship.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2017 at 5:16 PM, deadheadskier said:

I was planning on doing it, but ended up cancelling my appointment because it was scheduled on a powder day. Lol

I'll probably revisit it in the fall.

Looks like waiting might end up being a good call.   This week Richelson sent out an email that they are doing a 25th anniversary sale.   If you can make it in before October 21st, they are offering a full ski boot evaluation for $25.  Their normal price is $75.   I've got a message into them to schedule an appointment.  The hope is I'm able to work with my current boot for a workable solution.   I don't see these shells as being the 700 day solution that a properly fit shell should get according to them, but if I can spend a minimal amount of $$ and get another 2-3 seasons out of the boots with less pain, I'll be happy.  

4 hours ago, deadheadskier said:

Looks like waiting might end up being a good call.   This week Richelson sent out an email that they are doing a 25th anniversary sale.   If you can make it in before October 21st, they are offering a full ski boot evaluation for $25.  Their normal price is $75.   I've got a message into them to schedule an appointment.  The hope is I'm able to work with my current boot for a workable solution.   I don't see these shells as being the 700 day solution that a properly fit shell should get according to them, but if I can spend a minimal amount of $$ and get another 2-3 seasons out of the boots with less pain, I'll be happy.  

Well that blows. I literally just saw him on the 15th for the first time. Nothing but incredibly things to say, but I could have saved $50 by waiting! Been meaning to post a more in-depth review of my experience.

Well that blows. I literally just saw him on the 15th for the first time. Nothing but incredibly things to say, but I could have saved $50 by waiting! Been meaning to post a more in-depth review of my experience.

Definitely interested in hearing about your experience. Get any work done and if so at what cost?

I'm heading to Plymouth on Tuesday. Hoping for much happier feet this season.

On 9/22/2017 at 10:06 AM, deadheadskier said:

Definitely interested in hearing about your experience. Get any work done and if so at what cost?

I'm heading to Plymouth on Tuesday. Hoping for much happier feet this season.

Finally got free time in front of a computer.

I went to Paul's in mid September with ski boots in hand with the hope to get an adjustment to my current boots. Last season I ended up with a rather painful bone spur approximately 1 cm in diameter at the base of my little toe and it cut my spring skiing really short (skiing bumps and chop hurt like hell).

Paul was incredibly helpful. He blew out a section of the boot to give my toe a little more room to breathe (using the classic hammer the side of the boot technique to find the pressure points). That was $35 on top of the $75 evaluation. He also was able to identify that the reason for the pain was because the liners had died / are near death and they were not supporting my feet the way they used to. My foot was collapsing inward along the arch forcing my little toe into the side of the boot. I was ready to get new boots or new liners, but Paul actually recommended doctoring an the off the shelf orthotic (superfeet) for something like $70 instead of a $250 liner or $500 boot. It gives me the support around my feet I need and I was fine with how the liners felt otherwise. It should last around 80 days or about a season and half, enough to probably get me through the lifespan of these shells. He said that he really liked how my shells fit and that there was no reason to replace these until they were totally dead.

However, where he really blew me away was in his thoughtful and thorough evaluation of everything else. He was able to identify different quirks of my skiing form based on looking at my feet, ankle range of motion, and knee range of motion. He then recommended a few other small changes to my boots to help counter those negative quirks. He did what he called a "Fore-Aft" evaluation ($15) and then installed a replacement for the traditional velcro power strap which providers a significantly tighter feel.

All in all it was $200, but I got a lot done and it was all voluntary. Paul really impressed me because at every turn he told me what was "necessary" to ski without pain and what was "voluntary," as in what would enhance my skiing experience and how exactly it would enhance it (you'll really feel this in soft snow, in the trees, etc).

Can't recommend Paul enough and will absolutely return to him when I need new boots in a season or two (we'll see how many days I get in this year when I don't ski only three times in April and May). He also has an on-snow guarantee that lets you try out all the adjustments he makes and any further adjusting through the end of December are free after you've tried it out on the actual snow.

I had my day at Richelsons today. It was a very positive experience, but I won't have an idea of price/value until I experience the results on the hill.

I went in for their standard foot / ski boot evaluation that comes with a list of recommended boots to purchase new or + a plan to work with what you have. This typically costs $75, but was on special for $25.

My problems: totally collapsed arches and daily pain on interior of my ankles.

First things first. Going to Richelsons is not like going to a ski shop. It's more similar to a doctor's office. Receptionist, waiting room and people there for all sorts of footwear needs different than ski boots.

My feet/boots were evaluated by a guy entering his second year with Paul. He had worked as a boot fitter for Rodgers in Lincoln, NH for five years before joining the Richelson team. The process of him going over measurements, pronation, knee/hip alignment and how they all fit in the context of my current boot took an hour. They literally measure and manipulate your feet in every way imaginable. Paul was with other clients, but frequently stopped by to confirm the measurements and evaluation.

After the hour evaluation we discussed a plan. There was no pressure. A cheap option was presented with a realistic expectation set that it would be a bandaid. I could get some padding added on my interior shin to take pressure off the ankle hot point, but my over pronation will still be an issue and the calf fit of the boot would be totally altered in an unnatural way to achieve the goal. The second option would be to go with custom orthotics to eliminate the over pronation and have a solution that I can bring over to new boots. Cheap fairly temporary solution = $100. Custom orthotics = $250. I decided to go custom.

The process of getting my feet molded for the custom orthotics was an additional hour. It took three attempts to get it right. I could sense that the guy doing the job was getting frustrated that Paul didn't approve of the molds, but Paul was very supportive of his employee in showing him what needed to be better and explaining that my feet were about as difficult of a case he would ever encounter.

In addition to the orthotics, I went for a Booster strap installation as well.

Not a cheap day and I don't expect a miracle the first few days out. I can go back as many times as necessary between start of season and 12/31 to make adjustments.

I'll also have a list to consider new boots as well. I'd like to get a couple more years out of my current boots, but I may upgrade sooner. They definitely recommended me dropping down another shell size. My street shoe is a 9.5, which translates to a 27.5 for a comfort fit on ski boots or a 26.5 for performance fit. I've gone with 26.5 for years. They think I should drop down to a 25.5.

So, there you have it. I'm with Jully in having high praise for the Richelson experience. Totally different than a ski shop or at least the ones I've gone to. If the 93 corridor in NH is convenient for you, Paul Richelson should get your consideration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 11 months later...