Sign in to follow this  
fcksummer

Damage Reports

42 minutes ago, fcksummer said:

Who made it out over the weekend? How bad was the damage?

Apocalyptic. Natural terrain is gone. Zero base.

Bretton Woods looks like they have barely just enough for some of their low angle stuff to be considered open. Everyone else is toast.

Many mountains legit lost trails with snowmaking. They've spent the last few days patching together something -- anything.

Cranmore did a commendable job repairing the damage. Attitash was a disaster on Saturday, but I'll be interested in hearing reports from this week.

Wildcat was pretty sad, but the snow they were making was really nice. Catapult side was okay, but Middle Wildcat needs some resurfacing even though cover is okay. Lower and Middle Lynx are sweet now, but Lower and Middle Polecat are getting the love right now.

I'll give an update from Crotched tomorrow night.

Skied Gunstock on Sunday (Trip Report link in sig.)

It was rough.

Basically zero base anywhere there wasn't snow making. What was left was basically white granite. (your choice of slab or pulverized).

As far as I can tell, they have made zero or next to zero snow since then. Over the weekend, the snow report on their website mentioned that their 'snowmakers had a plan' to fix up the damage, but that disappeared, and no mention of any active snow making... Maybe they're waiting to get past this weekend, I'm not sure. But it seems most other places have been using their snow making this week.

-w

21 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

I'll give an update from Crotched tomorrow night.

Was at The Crotch yesterday and it had taken a huge hit. The whole area had. I live 25 minutes away (kind of north- northeast) and we had more snow left in our area. Summit Sat and Meteor were okay. Velocity had snow blown on it but kind of ungroomed. Milky Way and Magnitude were slick.

Magic lost all the west side and anything that was natural. All that is left was the snowmaking trails (Trick, Medium, Show Off, Wand, etc.). There is still base and 6-8" should get east side stuff like Up Your Skirt and Vertigo open. They had been able to have Tali open on natural this year but will have to blow to get it going again. I'm sure the "chute" part of Wizard is rock slab as well. 

I didn't actually ski anywhere over the weekend.  But I was in Lincoln, went to Loon, drove by Cannon, and was at Kingdom Trails near Burke.  None of them seemed as badly hit as I expected.  The snowpack in my yard in Lincoln went from ~30" to ~20".  There sure aren't any bare spots.  Loon and Cannon both looked decent.  I didn't see any bare spots at either mountain.  The snowpack at KT was solid from the rain/freeze, but it was still very deep.  No bare spots anywhere. 

I wish I had some actual ski trail pics to share. The best I can do is from the webcam at my front door in Lincoln, NH.  The first shot is from Jan 10th before all of the rain.  The second shot is from yesterday (1/15).   Gives you a sense of how much snow was lost.

Jan10_18.JPG

Jan15_18.JPG

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

I didn't actually ski anywhere over the weekend.  But I was in Lincoln, went to Loon, drove by Cannon, and was at Kingdom Trails near Burke.  None of them seemed as badly hit as I expected.  The snowpack in my yard in Lincoln went from ~30" to ~20".  There sure aren't any bare spots.  Loon and Cannon both looked decent.  I didn't see any bare spots at either mountain.  The snowpack at KT was solid from the rain/freeze, but it was still very deep.  No bare spots anywhere. 

I wish I had some actual ski trail pics to share. The best I can do is from the webcam at my front door in Lincoln, NH.  The first shot is from Jan 10th before all of the rain.  The second shot is from yesterday (1/15).   Gives you a sense of how much snow was lost.

Jan10_18.JPG

Jan15_18.JPG

Nice to see that.

I was really disheartened after skiing at Gunstock, where there basically was no natural left unless it was a snowbank somewhere.

1 hour ago, Cannonballer said:

Jan10_18.JPG

Jan15_18.JPG

Cannon took a beating for sure, the 4 inches they got on the backside made it look like it wasnt too bad. venturing off the groomed trails was not pretty. Maybe having a dedicated carving ski would have made it tolerable for me but yah it wasnt great

2 minutes ago, ABV said:

Cannon took a beating for sure, the 4 inches they got on the backside made it look like it wasnt too bad. venturing off the groomed trails was not pretty. Maybe having a dedicated carving ski would have made it tolerable for me but yah it wasnt great

Was the non-groomed ugly because it was down to thin cover?  Or because it was frozen boilerplate?  Or both?  What's left for base depth in the woods?

I spent the day at Attitash.  Pleasantly surprised.  They were blasting snow on Bear Peak so more should be open there soon.  Illusion was Good, Wandering Skis, not so much but skiable.  Trillium was fantastic, it’s just such a bitch to get to I only did one run there.  Morning Star was good too.  Getting back to Attitash from Bear Peak was treacherous.  Don’t know how they will keep the connection back open without some help from Mother Nature.  On the Attitash side, they just started blowing snow on Lower Cathedral when I was leaving.  There wasn’t a lot open but the conditions were OK.  I stayed away from the steeper runs, they looked pretty scetchy from the chair and as I was skiing alone, didn’t want to chance it.   Spillway was great. (Race League day).  

32 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:

Was the non-groomed ugly because it was down to thin cover?  Or because it was frozen boilerplate?  Or both?  What's left for base depth in the woods?

Both ! there was a little of everything  ! I didn't bother to go in the woods !

I was up at Killington Monday. They were in pretty good shape. They must have also benefited from a few inches on the tail of the storm and the conditions seemed just cold and dry enough to make very nice feeling snow. More like packed powder than the thick sugar stuff.

I didn't venture into the woods didn't seem worth it but they have a base left there and another 8-12" of natural will get some of it back in play.

Groomers were nice - got a few in on Superstar and a really nice one Great Northern-Highline (the latter of which I don't think I'd ever been down - maybe closed for racing a lot) which still had cord past noon. Upper ovation was pure dust on crust no fun but they made some huge whales on the already steep as crap Lower O which you could surprisingly dig into. Outer Limits was in similar shape but the whales were already beaten down.

All in all it was good especially with it empty - longest line of the day was 5 mins midday for K-1. Below was Skyeship lot at 830 and it never filled up 37685e3b6359ae956ee9ee8f6c54ef93.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GnarPowStash said:

I was up at Killington Monday. They were in pretty good shape. They must have also benefited from a few inches on the tail of the storm and the conditions seemed just cold and dry enough to make very nice feeling snow. More like packed powder than the thick sugar stuff.

I didn't venture into the woods didn't seem worth it but they have a base left there and another 8-12" of natural will get some of it back in play.

Groomers were nice - got a few in on Superstar and a really nice one Great Northern-Highline (the latter of which I don't think I'd ever been down - maybe closed for racing a lot) which still had cord past noon. Upper ovation was pure dust on crust no fun but they made some huge whales on the already steep as crap Lower O which you could surprisingly dig into. Outer Limits was in similar shape but the whales were already beaten down.

All in all it was good especially with it empty - longest line of the day was 5 mins midday for K-1. Below was Skyeship lot at 830 and it never filled up 37685e3b6359ae956ee9ee8f6c54ef93.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

I can see my car in this pic!

Took skyeship lift up and went straight to Bear Peak. I thought Outer Limits was in great condition given the weather leading up to MLK day. Trail of the day was Wildfire for sure. Soft man made snow that was fun to weave through as the conditions got slightly bumped up.

I thought Killington was in tremendous shape. Sucks that most of the natural stuff is gone, but hopefully we get a dumping hear soon. I want Pico back fully open!

Wachusett is in good shape. They started making snow Saturday night after the temps dropped and the natural snow today was excellent.  You can tell though in the places where they didn't blow snow its a solid slab of ice under 5 inches of fresh pow.

Heading for Wachusett tomorrow with my youngest, glad to hear they didn't suffer too badly.  I was at Sunapee yesterday, and the snow was great.  By the end of the day some ice started to show through in spots, but for the most part it was either packed powder or small soft piles depending on the run.  The handful of runs that were closed all seemed to have big piles of man made waiting to be groomed out.