Sign in to follow this  
SkiBearded!

Give me a fiver!

I have been talking about this for several years, skiing 5 ski hills in one day. This past Monday I made this dream a reality.

Unfortunately the only day I could get this to work was a Monday which meant more driving to accommodate the hours of each hill.

After I dropped my kids at school I headed to Suicide Six. Luckily for me S6 got 10” of fresh and it was pretty sweet skiing. a90d2adb840d99e3a6ebefbef52e4803.jpg
b063e22d7b2e45f24d8f8cd1030e9d11.jpg52ef44104b35e0b3fd980d2ae895e82a.jpg

After skiing 7 fast runs at mighty S6 I drove to my next destination, Dartmouth Skiway. Skiway was extremely dead, and did not get much snow from the storm. I fact they got mostly rain. On top of this they didn’t have Holts ledge open. I made the most of it though and did 6 runs. Fast groomers and some racers!

223acdaa1fc990d612ef1c3e0f188a1b.jpg
28b88c631f77da6c23d7a45dea8fb9a0.jpg
90bdc1e6a8d4f692ea3c8043a8acb306.jpg
 dd78cb61c37d4da75b018ef9d8e6b61c.jpg
After this was a long drive to the mightiest ski area in the world. McIntyre! Nothing says chaos like a 150 vert hill with 8 million School children. 6 painful runs later.

8964d947580585bcdf116c988e9901cb.jpg
Yes 0d07d460bee13c6300939dd4f985d627.jpg

On to bigger(obviously) and better things. Pats peaks! Also very icy and fast, pats provided me with fast laps off the vortex lift. Skiing was fast and fun. Had a nice dinner of beef stew and baked lays. It was glorious!

51ef0a86d581f3b67c5e4f680412f4f0.jpg
4f72b7a45883a6bccfdce1aa1f530189.jpg
 8b7afa54d79172032e1387e48ad2bbf2.jpg

The day was capped off with a few uneventful runs down Crotched mountain. Which was also icy and fast. At this point I was ready to pass out. I left my phone in the car but got some awesome shots of the mountain from the lot as I left!

c362cb1f68b12a4b93f0cb3510f7d697.jpg

Over all is skied 5 ski hills in two states. 340 miles of driving. About 18,000 vertical feet skied. (I did 10 runs at Wildcat the next day, 21,000 vert). But it was an experience of a life time.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Impressive! Can't say I've ever fathomed the idea of doing multiple mountains in one day until this post. Now you have me thinking about burning up my unused Max Pass days late in the season. Killington -> Okemo -> Stratton -> Wachusett  seems doable.

But was it enjoyable?

Edited by MassNerd

I think my one-day record is three. I'm trying to dig up the details on the White Mountains marathon ski day that somebody does as a fund raiser. Like they ski every single ski area in the White Mountains in one day. This is a thing, or at least it used to be.

EDIT: still can't find it. They had a bus. Started at Wildcat and ended at Cranmore. One run per mountain. I know it happened. Anyone?

42 minutes ago, MassNerd said:

Impressive! Can't say I've ever fathomed the idea of doing multiple mountains in one day until this post. Now you have me thinking about burning up my unused Max Pass days late in the season. Killington -> Okemo -> Stratton -> Wachusett  seems doable.

But was it enjoyable?

Seems like you should time it to get Pico in there too!

I think adding Sunapee might be a bridge too far.

Edited by WJenness

16 minutes ago, WJenness said:

Seems like you should time it to get Pico in there too!

I think adding Sunapee might be a bridge too far.

Pico, good call!  I worked out a schedule of Pico->Killington->Okemo->Stratton and I'd get an hour at each mountain 9-4 and then night ski at Wachusett.  Sunapee definitely not in the cards.

However, after thinking about it more, I'm questioning whether more than one mountain in a single day is allowed by Max Pass. I didn't see anything on their website prohibiting it though...

11 minutes ago, MassNerd said:

Pico, good call!  I worked out a schedule of Pico->Killington->Okemo->Stratton and I'd get an hour at each mountain 9-4 and then night ski at Wachusett.  Sunapee definitely not in the cards.

However, after thinking about it more, I'm questioning whether more than one mountain in a single day is allowed by Max Pass. I didn't see anything on their website prohibiting it though...

I wouldn't imagine it would be prohibited, but who knows!

I might be able to be convinced to join you on this crazy odyssey if you want some company.

Sounds crazy and kinda fun.

I didn't use all 5 days at any mountain last year except Sunday River, so I'm not worried about tapping out this year.

My high is 2 at Stratton and 2 at Loon so far this year.

-w

This is pretty awesome!  The most I've done in a day is 3 (BW, Cannon, Loon).  Now you have me inspired.  It wouldn't be hard to get 5-8 around the Whites in one day. The biggest obstacle would be the cost of tickets.  If somebody had a Peaks Pass and WM Superpass they could do 6 Mtns on those passes, then pick up a couple of little places like Kanc Rec Center or Eustis. 

S6 & Whaleback in one day is a good combo. You have just enough time to ski all of the good terrain at both mountains in one day if you go open to close. You could do Dartmouth instead of one or the other but Whaleback and Dartmouth both have more interesting terrain and more vert than S6. This assumes the areas are fully open. S6 is a novelty from my perspective, Whaleback and Dartmouth can both hold my attention for a full day if they are fully open, especially Whaleback or either on a good powder day. I can't see doing more than two areas in a single day except just to say you have done it. Once you get more than two areas, you aren't skiing much of the terrain and you start to spend more time driving than skiing. I'd only go for the twofer at smaller areas... hard to justify paying full day rates at two major resorts in a single day. But if you have freebies, more powder to you!

Hypothetically speaking what would the parameters of this challenge be? Are lift rides a requirement? Or only the downhill? Imaging that a day could start at the summit of a hill with an early morning skin. But i wouldn't want to get up that early in the morning only to be be disqualified on a technicality!!

I would think one run from the summit of the mountain would be all that is required. Doesn't matter how you got there. Skinning/hiking up before lifts open just adds to the impressiveness.