fcksummer

SEC Settles Lawsuit with Quiros / Jay Peak & Burke up for Sale

It would make it better for sure, but how many more would it attract? Though i may stand corrected given the responses from Smelly and Cannonball haha.
It makes it better for me because I'm willing to drive the 3 hr to Wildcat. I feel like Peaks is missing a good number of people that ski NH but don't want a 2.5 hr + ski commute. Again very well might be wrong in this assumption.
It would simply add some good terrain within a reasonable drive for many people. From Boston (or any starting point along the way) Burke is about the same drive time as Wildcat. And each are only about 15min longer drive than Attitash. Attitash does nothing for me, so for me a current Peak Pass is basically a Wildcat pass. And that's almost worth it in and of itself. Almost. Adding Burke (and assuming the same price) would give me a Wildcat/Burke pass with the occasional Attitash/Crotched day. That would work for me since I love both Wildcat and Burke, and they are different enough from each other, and they each capitalize on different weather patterns.

The other element for me is a little more esoteric. Wildcat and Burke offer two completely different driving and "stop over" experiences. When I go to Wildcat I take advantage of going through Gorham, Jackson, Bartlett, or North Conway. I stop at my favorite restaurants, breweries, stores, and friends houses. I usually stop for a walk, hike, or XC ski on the way home from the Mtn. When going to Burke I do the same, but at a completely different list of places in Lydonville, Littleton, Franconia and others. The option/excuse to hit all of these favorites would make the pass well worth it.

The peak pass for me is basically a Mt Snow pass with a week's worth of skiing at Attitash and Wildcat for my timeshare week. I have a much easier ride to Snow than any of the other mountains on the pass, including the Crotch - even though it's an hour closer! It would be interesting to have Burke on the pass but realistically I wouldn't go. Kind of like them adding Hunter, I'll likely never make it over to NY to ski. The ride into New Hampshire for me involves driving g through Boston or around it which is disgustingly painful to say the least - except on the weekends, whereas Snow, I shoot through Providence and up 146 which is a very different ride.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

On 2/22/2018 at 4:42 PM, Jully said:

Wow, where did you hear Peak was looking at Burke?

No interest in Jay makes perfect sense.

I'm honestly surprised Peaks is looking at Burke. It has a lot of similarities to Wildcat and I feel like they would be looking at a resort that is closer to the Boston metro area to round out their pass offering. Maybe the price would be incredible with a built in revenue stream through BMA though.

I have a few friends in Peak management who were talking about it a few months ago. It kind of makes sense in that they can spin it as a destination mountain and they don't currently have anything in northern VT. Who knows what will actually happen though with them now that they are doing another project at Mount Snow. I really am not sure who the other suitors for Burke are though unless its packaged with Jay Peak.

On February 24, 2018 at 11:57 AM, MimersG said:

I have a few friends in Peak management who were talking about it a few months ago.

Just the thought of this is killing me, In 2010 I bought a Wildcat pass after just 3 years of dealing with Peaks ownership at Attitash, and then one of my ski buddy called me up in October( Laughing) and informed me that Peaks brought Wildcat, this yearI bought a Burke pass and if Peaks purchase's Burke I my loose it completely . Please NOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!  

On 2/25/2018 at 8:09 PM, Brad J said:

Just the thought of this is killing me, In 2010 I bought a Wildcat pass after just 3 years of dealing with Peaks ownership at Attitash, and then one of my ski buddy called me up in October( Laughing) and informed me that Peaks brought Wildcat, this yearI bought a Burke pass and if Peaks purchase's Burke I my loose it completely . Please NOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!  

I'm confused. You don't want Peaks to buy Burke?

4 hours ago, frapcap said:

I'm confused. You don't want Peaks to buy Burke?

I have really mixed emotions. It'd be better for me personally, but they'd just run it into the ground like they did Attitash.

1 hour ago, Weatherman said:

I have really mixed emotions. It'd be better for me personally, but they'd just run it into the ground like they did Attitash.

I am not sure how any operator could run Burke into the ground. All of the old maintenance issues have been addressed. Two new high speed quads, one brand new hotel/lodge, one recently refurbushed base lodge, upgraded snow making, Poma was updated to a T-bar for longevity of BMA, etc. When Peaks bought Attitash, they inherited a lot of dated infrastructure and they didn't invest. But the infrastructure investment to update Burke has already been made. Burke on the Peaks pass is quite intriguing.

My opinion on Burke is the place has been so messed up already, it can't get any worse no matter who buys it. I used to be a Burke lover. Now I don't see it as anything special. I get there once a year usually but I am not pulled to the place like i used to be. I am probably in the minority, but I'd go back in an instant to the place with a FGQ without the new lodge, additional snow making, and before teh widened trails. The place has lost a lot of character and hasn't gained much to offset that loss. Sure, you can take fast laps on the new Quad... but so can everyone else. The old way wasn't sustainable. But the cost of upgrading was loss of character.

On 6/16/2019 at 9:36 AM, deadheadskier said:

Even if Peak was in financial position to do so, I don't see Burke as a good target for them because of the hotel. Lodging operations are not their area of expertise.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

I'd go one step further. They don't want to run hotels. They dumped the one at Attitash for this very reason. Corporate management is used to running tiny hills in the midwest.