Sign in to follow this  
Weatherman

Top Ski Resorts in Vermont

Last week I received an inquiry from snowpak.com asking for our help compiling a list of the best ski resorts in Vermont.

We're working on another article on the top resorts to ski in Vermont. I know you've got a group of avid skiers on the east coast on NortheastMountainSports.com and thought it would be a great idea to get your community to give commentary on their favorite ski areas (the good, the bad, what makes the place special). Similar to East Coast resorts article, we'd can a write up on it, and credit to your community. This might be a good way to promote your forum as well.

What say you all? Think we can put this together?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Last week I received an inquiry from snowpak.com asking for our help compiling a list of the best ski resorts in Vermont.

What say you all? Think we can put this together?

Ranked? Unranked? Any specific amount?

Just now, fcksummer said:

Ranked? Unranked? Any specific amount?

I think that is for us to solve. We could try creating one of the community-curated articles on the site like we do for the ski area guides. Or we could try to up-voting scheme of the questions forum.

8 minutes ago, Smellytele said:

top resorts or ski areas? I don't like when the word Resort is used. Personally don't care about resorts just the ski area part of said resorts.

Resorts.

You sound a typically New England skier of your age who skis weekends. The typical member of this forum considers skiing to be a sport. In Europe skiing is a lifestyle. And for those traveling for a week amenities really matter.

When I travel to places for a week or so I don't care about the amenities either. I ski, eat, drink and sleep. I don't usually stay at the resort nor eat at them. The surrounding area is more important then the actual resort. I don't ski just one place either when I travel. Even in Europe for example is going to Chamonix going to an area or a resort. A consider a resort is where the resort owns (or leases out as in restaurants) everything. 

Hard to rank "top areas" without more clarification. Tops for what and for whom? For some folks, Okemo might be the best but for me that would be the worst. For some people, Mad River Glen or Smuggs or Jay might be the best. For other skiers and riders, those areas could be the worst. 

1 hour ago, Smellytele said:

When I travel to places for a week or so I don't care about the amenities either. I ski, eat, drink and sleep. I don't usually stay at the resort nor eat at them. The surrounding area is more important then the actual resort. I don't ski just one place either when I travel. Even in Europe for example is going to Chamonix going to an area or a resort. A consider a resort is where the resort owns (or leases out as in restaurants) everything. 

Your point regarding Chamonix is well taken. I'd argue in this case we're talking about Chamonix being the resort as opposed to Grands Montets vs Flegere, etc. The lines get more blury in the larger interconnected areas like the Arlberg, Dolomites, Three Valleys, etc.

Fortunately go our purposes the lines are much clearer in Vermont. I can't think of a single example that blurs than line except Killington / Pico.

You probably already have a lot to work with on the various season threads up and running.  Jay, Sugarbush, Magic and Burke have season threads and probably have honest, unedited thoughts...

I can think of two ways to approach this inquiry:
1. each member gets to pick(vote) for one place and provides a paragraph behind the rationale for the choice
2. We come up with various categories like best for families, best terrain variety, best snow, best apres, etc and vote for a "resort" in each category.

I was thinking categories are the way to go. It's clear in this thread that different people have different priorities, so how could we choose just one resort to rule them all? 

Maybe we could have people write like 50-100 words on why a specific place is their favorite/best and then use likes or something to rank them. Snowpaks editor writes an intro and orders em. Bingo bango => clicks

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Brad J said:

I think we should just be concerned with the actual skiing experience that the Mountain offers , anything else real makes the water murky

But for the majority of skiers (i.e. not enthusiasts like on this board), the skiing experience is only one of many factors when considering a "destination" (they are picking "destinations", not "ski areas"). And for a not insignificant number of skiers, the skiing experience is actually one of their lowest concerns. So the question becomes is the forum making the list for itself or for the general readership of the web site quoted in the OP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thesnowway said:

But for the majority of skiers (i.e. not enthusiasts like on this board), the skiing experience is only one of many factors when considering a "destination" (they are picking "destinations", not "ski areas"). And for a not insignificant number of skiers, the skiing experience is actually one of their lowest concerns. So the question becomes is the forum making the list for itself or for the general readership of the web site quoted in the OP.

I think we should make the list for ourselves. No reason to cater our opinions towards another website. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, thesnowway said:

the skiing experience is actually one of their lowest concerns.

IMO thats the problem, young skiers will never be passionate about skiing if they are dragged to resorts that provide amenities for the plush parents and a boring ski or board experience .

On 2/18/2018 at 4:47 PM, fcksummer said:

I think we should make the list for ourselves. No reason to cater our opinions towards another website. 

Weatherman's original post specifically cited doing this for another web site. If NMS wants to make a top ranking to see our own preferences as a forum, I am all for that. But I think we would be doing the other site a disservice if they are looking for a list of top areas for a general audience. We're clearly going to lean towards certain areas and away from other areas that might be better for Joe Casual Skier.

21 hours ago, Brad J said:

IMO thats the problem, young skiers will never be passionate about skiing if they are dragged to resorts that provide amenities for the plush parents and a boring ski or board experience .

I think the bigger issue is that not as many young kids and families are skiing, period. I think young skiers and riders can develop passion even if they are only skiing at resorts. A "Boring" skiing/riding experience is subjective. There are LOTS of folks out there that ski 2, 3, 4, or even more times than I ski in a season and do it at places like Okemo and Stratton and never leave a groomer. Are they any less passionate than I am or than you are? Different strokes for different folks, nothing wrong with that. Many families have limited funds and only get to ski a few times a year and they need to cater to the needs of kids that might get cold or frustrated by skiing bell to bell. They may have the money to splurge on the extras. Hell, look at Jay.... a quality resort that may an enthusiast enjoys for challenging terrain and powder. But they also have a water park, movie theater, climbing wall, tons of bars, a spa, pricey restaurants, etc. Someone really into skiing could potentially pick Jay for the terrain for themselves and the off mountain stuff for Miss Casual Skier wife and the kids. Etc. There is no right way to enjoy skiing... though we certainly all have our preferences. The resort experience isn't for me but I wouldn't recommend many of my favorite areas for Joe Average Skier. 

So who is this list for is a very important question, IMO. I'll refer back to Weatherman's original post which seems to suggest this is a list for a general audience. MRG and Magic may not be the best suggestions for that audience. If you suggest an area that isn't fun to that young skier, they will never become passionate about skiing because they may have had a crap experience for themselves at a highly rated mountain their mom/dad saw on a list.

6 minutes ago, thesnowway said:

Weatherman's original post specifically cited doing this for another web site. If NMS wants to make a top ranking to see our own preferences as a forum, I am all for that. But I think we would be doing the other site a disservice if they are looking for a list of top areas for a general audience. We're clearly going to lean towards certain areas and away from other areas that might be better for Joe Casual Skier.

His original post also showed that they're aware we're avid skiers. If our perspective isn't what they're looking for then perhaps then they can always do a list themselves or ask someone else. If this list is going to be linked back here then we should make sure it represents what we're all about. 

It's not clear to me that the other site wants it for a general audience. They don't say that, and they are asking for a list from a group that they know to be dedicated skiers. So it's equally possible that they want to post an article along the lines of "Here's an insiders guide to VT ski areas". It would be more fun for us to go that route, and they can choose to use it or not.

14 minutes ago, Cannonballer said:
2 hours ago, thesnowway said:

It's not clear to me that the other site wants it for a general audience. They don't say that, and they are asking for a list from a group that they know to be dedicated skiers. So it's equally possible that they want to post an article along the lines of "Here's an insiders guide to VT ski areas". It would be more fun for us to go that route, and they can choose to use it or not.

This is closer to my goal. I want to link the header for each ski area back to our ski area guides. I think that's a really underutilized resource, and one that I'd like to focus more effort on. I've been meaning to take more photos this season for use in those guides. And I plan to spend more time in the off season adding what I can.

• Like 1