Sign in to follow this  
Cannonballer

General observations from Lincoln/Woodstock/Loon, NH 2/16/2018

Ok, this is a 100% cross-post from another forum. I wouldn't normally do that, but it is relevant to both for different reasons.  So here you go....

This isn't worthy of a trip report. It's just a random data point from a single place on a single date.  Do with it what you like.

In Lincoln, NH at 7am it was 34 degrees.  Route 93 North was well salted and generally good driving,  Main Street in Lincoln and the parking lots of the businesses along it were a skating rink.  Very hard to walk from the truck in back without taking a fall.   Throughout the rest of the day the temps were in the mid 30s with heavily overcast skies.  Although the temp allowed for some melting, the lack of sun really didn't.  As a result everything remained mostly on the line of soggy and frozen. The slippery factor only increased as light melting occurred on fully frozen surfaces.  

By 2pm I discarded all plans to ski. Instead I went for a walk in the woods of Woodstock with the dog. Despite everything mentioned above, and the doom-and-gloom reports everywhere, there is a ton of snow!  Snowpack in the woods is consistent 2-ft

All this snow made me reconsider the slopes.  We (the dog and I) literally ran back to the truck. I threw on my snowboard boots and helmet, threw a board in the back and raced over to Loon.  By the time I got there it was raining but I went for it anyway. At South Peak it was raining for the bottom 1/2 and snowing on the upper 1/2.

The snow was very soft from top to bottom.  The coverage was exceptional from top to bottom.  I only stayed for a couple of runs.  I got soaked.  I also got rejuvenated mentally about the snowpack, conditions, and potential for the rest of the season. 
Edited by Cannonballer
  • Like 4