Weatherman

2018 new car thread

Nice car! I really enjoyed my TDI SportWagen before the emissions buyback. I wasn't too fond of the repair bills when things needed to be replaced, but things didn't need to be repaired too often. It was just a big bill when the time came. The car always felt rock solid and was a lot of fun to drive.
I looked at the AT but the fuel efficiency is really poor (for my preferences). No regrets on my Civic Hatch and its 39 mpg overall average (only 1 mpg less than my TDI). But the fit, finish, and space just aren't at the same level. The hatch is nice but a wagon is better and VW interiors are amazing. For wagons... there just aren't enough options.
MPG wasn't a huge consideration for this car. It's mainly a grocery getter for my wife and soon to be two kids. She only puts about 7k miles a year on her vehicles. Between that and the 6 year 72k warranty it came with, I anticipate cost of ownership to be reasonable.

I've still got my Mazda 3 that gets great mileage and has always served me well getting to the hill. It will be nice to have her AWD car on powder days though. I also have an AWD Toyota Sienna van from work, but there's a limit to the personal miles I can put on it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

We picked up our new car last week and drove it around for a week. I was surprised to average 29.8 mpg on 95 octane for the week.

20180915_094325.thumb.jpg.4523caaff57944aa46d431cc2ae85977.jpg

20180910_102833.thumb.jpg.d6ee00ba99ebd2a5e7ad5ec92f6562f4.jpg

20180912_174721.thumb.jpg.275d4e8d23263a517f4a24d6603420db.jpg

Do you have adaptive cruise control? Have you tried using it?

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:34 PM, Cannonballer said:

FWIW as far as snow goes, Ridgeline had no problem with 8-10" of unplowed this afternoon.

IMG_20180308_172439368_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180308_172507774.jpg

I am toying with the idea of getting a small 4wd, 4 door pick-up to replace my old minivan.  I am tech-adverse and cheap, so looking at Nissan Frontier which goes for about $22k new with no options.   I have a 2014 Outback that works well in snow.  Can I expect a small 4wd pick-up to perform similarly in snow?  I don't run my Outback with snow tires since it only sees snowy conditions about two weeks per year.  Not sure whether I'd put snow tires on a 4wd pick-up, but would consider it if I increase my time in the mountains.  

PS:  Weatherman went to Sweden to pick up car!?!

Edited by JimK

19 hours ago, Benski said:
19 hours ago, Weatherman said:
We picked up our new car last week and drove it around for a week. I was surprised to average 29.8 mpg on 95 octane for the week.

20180915_094325.thumb.jpg.4523caaff57944aa46d431cc2ae85977.jpg

20180910_102833.thumb.jpg.d6ee00ba99ebd2a5e7ad5ec92f6562f4.jpg

20180912_174721.thumb.jpg.275d4e8d23263a517f4a24d6603420db.jpg

Do you have adaptive cruise control? Have you tried using it?

Yes it has adaptive cruise control and the "Pilot Assist" semi-autonomous highway driving system. And just about all the bells and whistles. In ideal conditions you basically just lightly hold the wheel and it drives itself on good roads. I used it... a lot... over the 1,1000 miles we drove from Gothenburg, Sweden to Bergen, Norway and back last week. I've decided that I'm a big fan with some caveats...

1) Anywhere that you see the sharp turn arrow signs on a corner, you are going to have to slow it down yourself going into the corner.
2) Watch out for stopped vehicles in the road way ahead if you are traveling at a high rate of speed. The car will allegedly see them and stop in time... allegedly. I often started getting uncomfortably close at high speed and intervened.
3) If you are stopped for more than 3 seconds in traffic you have to tap the gas to restart.
4) Lane tracking coming in and out of roundabouts was hit or miss. But it did better than expected in recently paved areas where there was just spray painted dashes.
5) At first I was nervous with the lane tracking in tunnels which didn't give much room for error. But I got used to it just keeping a grip on wheel. I got lots of practice as Norway has tunnels just about everywhere and for kilometers on end.

The passing functionality on the highway was much better than expected. Turn on the directional and the wheel a bit and it will accelerate you into the next lane. And once you turn off the directional it picks up the lines in the next lane.

The road sign / speed limit recognition was excellent -- much better than my previous experience with the Renault Espace which is the only other car I've driven in Europe with it. I'll be interested to see how well it does stateside.

The automatic parking feature was amazing. Saved my ass trying to park a new car in cities like Oslo -- and did a much better job than I would have. Just tap the screen and control the brake. Make sure to turn off the auto brake hold when using the parking feature. The park-out feature was not quite as good, but workable.

I'm in the office in Berlin for work this week. Have an overnight stop in Copenhagen on the way home this weekend, then fly back to Boston on Monday. 

On 9/18/2018 at 12:23 PM, JimK said:

Not sure whether I'd put snow tires on a 4wd pick-up, but would consider it if I increase my time in the mountains.  

If you buy that truck, you will be one of *the* top candidates for hybrid tires I know of.       A) They work better than P-metric all seasons in snow  B)  No seasonal changeover  C) Use them on gravel roads all year - including C&O towpath approach roads, including the Timberline condo approach road, including River Rd near White's Ferry, including Laurel Mountain/Highlands access roads, including Vermont gravel roads, and very much including Chesapeake Bay/Eastern shore kayak launch access. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Meh said:

If you buy that truck, you will be one of *the* top candidates for hybrid tires I know of.       A) They work better than P-metric all seasons in snow  B)  No seasonal changeover  C) Use them on gravel roads all year - including C&O towpath approach roads, including the Timberline condo approach road, including River Rd near White's Ferry, including Laurel Mountain/Highlands access roads, including Vermont gravel roads, and very much including Chesapeake Bay/Eastern shore kayak launch access. 

I've heard a lot about the new "all-weather" tires that qualify as snows. I guess they're becoming popular in places like Quebec where snow tires are required since it saves having to do the changeover.

I'm just grateful that I will no longer have to worry about the TPMS with the new car. I can go back to getting dedicated wheels rather than having to remount and balance twice a year.

Was considering what to do for new tires for my truck and just decided to say "f- it". Going with BFG All-Terrains on my Silverado before winter. When I had them on my last truck I only lost about 1-2 MPG and I never had to put it in 4wd in the winter.

27 minutes ago, Flying Yeti said:

Was considering what to do for new tires for my truck and just decided to say "f- it". Going with BFG All-Terrains on my Silverado before winter. When I had them on my last truck I only lost about 1-2 MPG and I never had to put it in 4wd in the winter.

I have had those in the past. I like them except them seem to wear quickly. I have had some Nokian rotiiva at that were great all-weather and the wife had the Nokian wrg3 which were all-weather which were great in the snow but also ran smoother and lasted longer than snow tires.

Circling back on the station wagon front.

Wife and I were <this> close to buying a 2018 VW AllTrack SEL off a lot.

Like, we would have last night if the sales guy called me back.

However, the 2019 order guide just came out today.

THERE WILL BE A MANUAL TRANSMISSION AVAILABLE IN THE TOP TRIM.

Like @deadheadskier, I think we're gonna have to order one now.

-w

19 Alltrack Order Guide.pdf

Edited by WJenness
  • Like 1

That's awesome news. Honestly, I think most manufacturers have it backwards. Offer the stick as an option on the top trim first, not the base model. Most enthusiasts would pay for that. If the stick was not available on the base model, you bet your ass I would have jumped up to a higher trim level.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, deadheadskier said:

That's awesome news. Honestly, I think most manufacturers have it backwards. Offer the stick as an option on the top trim first, not the base model. Most enthusiasts would pay for that. If the stick was not available on the base model, you bet your ass I would have jumped up to a higher trim level.

I think the idea, is the cheapest customers will get stick to save fuel, and the automatic transmissions are probably more expensive. 

Modern automatic transmission is actually slightly better on fuel economy than stick. Automatics are obviously still more expensive to build.

I guess my point is that the I think the market that exists for MT (which is only 5% of drivers) are more people who enjoy the control and driving dynamics of an MT and not necessarily cost savings. That's why the vast majority of cars that still offer it in the US are sports cars.

I predict this current purchase I made to be the last family car I buy with a MT. 5-6 years from now we will likely need to buy a toy type car to still get a MT.

6 hours ago, deadheadskier said:

Modern automatic transmission is actually slightly better on fuel economy than stick. Automatics are obviously still more expensive to build.

Yes, this. Manuals are less fuel efficient. The days on a manual being better on gas are long gone.