Weatherman

2018 new car thread

Please rename this thread to "1st world problems". My car has 265k miles.   Please keep depreciating these cars with shitty USB interfaces so the salt of the earth has something to drive.
Haha, 1st world problems for sure! (We need to start that thread). But it is a thread about "new" cars and the criteria was for "ski vehicle", so you shouldn't have been too surprised that it was inherently a 1st world conversation. In fact beware, almost every thread on almost every ski forum will have a 1st world bias. Although I'd be totally into reading about 3rd world skiing if you want to start a discussion on that.

Since reliability was also a criteria, it would be good to know what car you drive that has made it to 265k.

19 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Ugh. It doesn't offer Android Auto or Apple CarPlay? WTF? That's actually a big deal to me. Having Waze on the full infotainment screen and the quality of pandora is nice.

Waze works on CarPlay now?  I rented a Corolla with CarPlay in November and Waze was not a supported app. I had to use Apple Maps to try it out (barf).

Waze works on CarPlay now?  I rented a Corolla with CarPlay in November and Waze was not a supported app. I had to use Apple Maps to try it out (barf).

I had that problem also. I here google maps is supported in the latest IOS but not waze. Apple maps has screwed me twice this winter. I have an iPhone 6 so I won't screw around with updates anymore.

Not in CarPlay. But does work in Android Auto. Since Waze is a Google product they’re not about to let in run on Apple phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

My Wrangler Unlimited is 7 years old and 130K+ miles and I'm starting to get the itch to replace it. I'm considering the new Wrangler, but it's a total redesign with a new engine, changes to the body style, etc, so I'm a little leery of jumping into that right now. Unfortunately, if you want an off-road capable SUV these days and not a glorified station wagon, there's two options if you want new - the Wrangler and the 4Runner. The 4Runner is essentially unchanged for the last number of years and I've had a good experience with Toyota's in the past (1999 Tundra). That's not to say I've had any significant issues with my Jeep. This is the second Wrangler I've owned and both were pretty much bomb-proof. The only issues my current one has had are the throttle chip (it has an electronic throttle) failed shortly after I bought it and now the power steering is starting to act up. The chip was covered under warranty. And yes, I do take it off road. Anyone have experience with the 4Runner?

jku.jpg.07786e25fc700aff0db092c56c206930.jpg
jku2.jpg.85e1c852acef2cc3b1c37691fddce1a4.jpg
jku3.jpg.cc212eb37100c3e8fe182ad93f3e2122.jpg
We have a sr5 4Runner, wife's truck and it is awesome except in really windy conditions (things a kite)! Ride is great, we opted for cloth seats as she hates leather and they are comfortable. Great power on northern trips through the notches and decent fuel mileage, average about 22 on the highway at 75!

Sent from my XT1650 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

3 hours ago, Weatherman said:

Not in CarPlay. But does work in Android Auto. Since Waze is a Google product they’re not about to let in run on Apple phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

There is a lot more money in Waze than Android. Android is just a vehicle to push their other services. 

15 hours ago, Infinite Dreams said:

We have a sr5 4Runner, wife's truck and it is awesome except in really windy conditions (things a kite)! Ride is great, we opted for cloth seats as she hates leather and they are comfortable. Great power on northern trips through the notches and decent fuel mileage, average about 22 on the highway at 75!

Yeah, the Wrangler is the same way in the wind...even without a 2" lift and Thule box on top :) That's good to hear about the mileage. The Wrangler is horrible. Before the lift and other accessories, I had to baby it to get 18.

A review on the Highlander that is spot-on:

I still can't believe there is no way to get Android Auto or Apple Car Play. Even their premium nav system looks like it only has traffic for highways. How in the world is there no nav solution with dynamic traffic-based routing??? This us huge. This makes it useless as a commuting vehicle. Other than that, this vehicle checks all the boxes. But I think this is a deal breaker.

53 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

I still can't believe there is no way to get Android Auto or Apple Car Play. Even their premium nav system looks like it only has traffic for highways. How in the world is there no nav solution with dynamic traffic-based routing??? This us huge. This makes it useless as a commuting vehicle. Other than that, this vehicle checks all the boxes. But I think this is a deal breaker.

My parents 2017 Mini and 2016 Volvo SUV both don't have it Carplay or Andriod Auto. I believe both have navigation, they both have large screens with joysticks.  I have read the car companies want their customers to have a "genuine _____ experience" to build customer loyalty and therefore don't want apple and google to be the face of there infotainment systems. Too bad car company software seems to be mediocre at best because it is a car company. 

Also, the Highlander is the official vehicle of Soccer moms with nothing going on in there life.

1 minute ago, Infinite Dreams said:

It's funny because those are two issues that are completely non issues to me. I use maps through the Bluetooth and never had any need for anything else

Built-in Navigation is much easier to use. The Carplay, and Andriod Auto combine the best of both. 

I don't care about all the tech stuff. Give me a wagon with AWD, manual transmission and a decent amount of power. The old Audi S4 wagons with a roof box were basically the perfect ski vehicle for my tastes.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

Less tech the better. This is a solid post for sure. Reliability and practicality trumps everything else in my book

Sent from my XT1254 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xwhaler said:

Less tech the better. This is a solid post for sure. Reliability and practicality trumps everything else in my book

Sent from my XT1254 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

If you commute in traffic, having a good nav system that takes into account traffic is life changing. I will never, ever go back. If the highway is moving, it tells me so I'll take it. If the highway is a parking lot, it routes me back roads. Usually saves several minutes each way every day. Added bonus: the music quality is noticeably better than bluetooth or satellite radio.

8 hours ago, Weatherman said:

A review on the Highlander that is spot-on:

Agree. Spot on review. I'm not as annoyed with the slow lift gate as the reviewer. Also he doesn't point out that the window opens. Not all cross-overs, SUVs have that any more, but it is a huge feature! You can really pack the back when you can open the window and stuff extra stuff in that would fall out if you could only open the lift gate.

For Nav, our 2016 Limited Navigation has traffic on all roads within reason and has traffic based routing, but the user interface horrible compared to Waze. It is not a waze replacement. Another annoyance is that it won't let you enter destinations when the car is moving. A "safety" feature, but when you have a passenger that could safely enter a destination, no dice. You have to use the voice commands to set a destination when driving and.... it doesn't work that well.

On 3/8/2018 at 7:34 AM, Cannonballer said:

almost every thread on almost every ski forum will have a 1st world bias. 

Fair enough.  Was just feeling left out of the conversation 9_9

Since reliability was also a criteria, it would be good to know what car you drive that has made it to 265k.

It's a 2004 XC70.  I wouldn't call it reliable. I paid $1200 for it because the previous owner was tired of throwing good money after bad.  He was also moving to Jackson Hole to be a ski bum so he had his priorities in order...

• Like 1

Agree. Spot on review. I'm not as annoyed with the slow lift gate as the reviewer. Also he doesn't point out that the window opens. Not all cross-overs, SUVs have that any more, but it is a huge feature! You can really pack the back when you can open the window and stuff extra stuff in that would fall out if you could only open the lift gate.
For Nav, our 2016 Limited Navigation has traffic on all roads within reason and has traffic based routing, but the user interface horrible compared to Waze. It is not a waze replacement. Another annoyance is that it won't let you enter destinations when the car is moving. A "safety" feature, but when you have a passenger that could safely enter a destination, no dice. You have to use the voice commands to set a destination when driving and.... it doesn't work that well.
I have an auto tail gate on my Rav and it's about the same speed, I hit the opener on the FOB as I am walking to it and by the time I'm there it's open. When I'm done I hit the button and by the time I'm settled in the seat it's closed. Really a non issue.

I didn't know the Highlander had a rear window that went down, that's new. We have it on the 4runner and it truly is great. In the warmer weather we run with it open instead of AC on most days and it's great

If you commute in traffic, having a good nav system that takes into account traffic is life changing. I will never, ever go back. If the highway is moving, it tells me so I'll take it. If the highway is a parking lot, it routes me back roads. Usually saves several minutes each way every day. Added bonus: the music quality is noticeably better than bluetooth or satellite radio.
I have traveled in and around Boston for work for years. I've used some of the tech like Waze etc and sorry, not life changing.

WAY down on my list of wants.

To be honest the only real "tech" I've found surprisingly useful are the automatic sliding rear doors on my work van. Super convenient feature that I'm not sure why all larger SUVs don't have. Seems weird it's only on vans

• Like 1

I don't care about all the tech stuff. Give me a wagon with AWD, manual transmission and a decent amount of power. The old Audi S4 wagons with a roof box were basically the perfect ski vehicle for my tastes.

Placed an order today for a 2018 VW Golf Alltrack......for my wife.

Doesn't have S4 get up and go obviously, but still is pretty quick, good handling, decent ground clearance, AWD, MT and heated seats.

Hopefully she lets me use it on powder days!

Car had to be special ordered and will arrive in the fall. They rarely get manual transmission Alltracks in and not in the color combinations she wanted. The dealer said when they do get MTs in they last a week or less on the lot. Which begs the question, why not order more of them? I wonder how many people settle for the AT because they don't want to wait 4 months for their new car.

Placed an order today for a 2018 VW Golf Alltrack......for my wife.

Doesn't have S4 get up and go obviously, but still is pretty quick, good handling, decent ground clearance, AWD, MT and heated seats.

Hopefully she lets me use it on powder days!

Car had to be special ordered and will arrive in the fall. They rarely get manual transmission Alltracks in and not in the color combinations she wanted. The dealer said when they do get MTs in they last a week or less on the lot. Which begs the question, why not order more of them? I wonder how many people settle for the AT because they don't want to wait 4 months for their new car.

Picked it up from the dealer today. Love it

IMG_20180917_130027916_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

Nice car! I really enjoyed my TDI SportWagen before the emissions buyback. I wasn't too fond of the repair bills when things needed to be replaced, but things didn't need to be repaired too often. It was just a big bill when the time came. The car always felt rock solid and was a lot of fun to drive.

I looked at the AT but the fuel efficiency is really poor (for my preferences). No regrets on my Civic Hatch and its 39 mpg overall average (only 1 mpg less than my TDI). But the fit, finish, and space just aren't at the same level. The hatch is nice but a wagon is better and VW interiors are amazing. For wagons... there just aren't enough options.

• Like 1