Sign in to follow this  
MarzNC

Tenney, NH 3/9/2018

On 3/29/2018 at 7:32 PM, hrstrat57 said:

Anybody know if they have any relationship planned with Plymouth State for next season? Is Rivercoil signed up here yet?

I have not heard anything about a relationship between Tenney and Plymouth State. The only thing I have seen online is hearsay about Tenney's owner pursuing a relationship with the University. But I don't know the if the University has gotten involved. When Tenney was previously open, there wasn't no relationship that I am aware of. I have no idea why one would develop at this point. It would need to be mutually beneficial. I think Tenney needs PSU more than PSU can get much from Tenney. We'll see, though. Who knows what is happening behind closed doors. 

The students pick a ski package every year based on packages that are offered. Student government provides funding and students get an extremely cheap daily lift ticket rate depending on the package offered. I am sure Tenney will pitch a package but when Tenney was open previously, they never got selected during my time here. It has gone back and forth between Cannon and Waterville as long as I have been here. If I was a student, I'd want to have the package at a bigger mountain other than Tenney and grab the cheap Tenney pass for having something close if desired.

I have no interest in skiing Tenney. I've lived here for over ten years and only toured there twice in all that time. It is a solid mountain for the right crowd. For someone like me, it is incredibly flat and boring. I'd easily ski Bretton Woods over Tenney (only skied them once each lift serviced). But I have no skin in that game. I'm leaning on a Cannon or Freedom pass at this point. Tenney isn't something I would consider.

On 3/29/2018 at 8:12 PM, ABV said:

Shocked that they ended up at Waterville for a second year in a row.

Me too. Staff get the student benefit so I was loving life when it was Cannon. Haven't skied as much these past two years as I used to. That is why I am considering hedging on a Cannon pass, it has now gone WV 3 times in the past 4 or 5 years. There is a common misconception that WV is considerably closer but time wise, it isn't that much shorter of a drive and you gotta be careful about speeding on 49. Waterville has significantly less acres, is more crowded, less vert, and is more crowded. Better intermediate terrain overall, Cannon is a step up on that front. But now Cannon has superior snow making and better early season options, too.

• Like 2

Agree @thesnowway

Gonna need that night skiing if much hope of attracting college students. Hopefully targeting local public school for programs. A good terrain park with plenty of hits is essential for sure.

I have always thought it a risky play to reopen Tenney. Wishing them success - I hope to support them with a visit or two.

@thesnowway keep us posted on what you hear please.

I think they need a lift reconfiguration to be viable. You've got the top skiers left with decent pitch for about 4-500 vert and then it's very flat for the bottom. The bottom skiers right has decent pitch for about 800 vertical, but the top on that side is very flat.

I'd shorten the Hornet to take advantage of the decent skiers right pitch near the bottom and add an Upper Mountain lift going up the center that you can lap the Sweet William area off of. Cheap used double would do.

As is, the Hornet is just way too long and your choices are long run-in for skiers right or long run-out skiers left. Both options stink and the ride is like 15 minutes.

Tenney's saving grace is it does have a lot of trails that are on the narrow side compared to major areas. I like that.

Wonder if adding lift served MTB might help enough to keep it viable.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Northeast Mountain Sports mobile app

I don't know if MTB would help. There already is that mountain down around Tilton for those coming from the south. And I think Franklin has an MTB scene as well. And keep going a bit and you have KT in the NEK. They had a tree ropes thing before they closed, I don't know how popular it was.

A viable Tenney, IMO, would have followed Squaw's approach. Keep it manageable, don't worry about T2B when first opening, focus on local community and kids programs. Despite obvious passion for the ski project, the owner has dubious development plans for Tenney, the ski area looks like it is the loss leader attraction.

I remain skeptical of the entire project though I am certainly supportive of having an old school mid-sized area open again... the place is perfect for intermediates and families that want a small, quiet, inexpensive, mellow mountain... a better choice for the average skier and family than some of the other zoos in NH.

I think an MTB option would be good fit and would help. I understand what@thesnowway is saying about Highland and Kingdom Trails/Burke already owning some of that market. But there's a pretty big gap of touristy area in between that is underserved for MTB. If Loon, WV, or Cannon offered MTB Tenney probably couldn't complete. But none of them do (at a significant level) so Tenney could easily capture that 2nd/3rd season market.

The risk for them would be investing in that option only to have one of the big local players mentioned above decide to also offer MTB and out compete Tenney.

On 4/3/2018 at 10:40 AM, Weatherman said:

Wireless lights? How are the powering them?

Michael said something to me that was vaguely technical when I visited Tenney in Fall 2016 but I'm not the engineering type.  Definitely not solar.  He's talked to a couple other ski areas about setting up lights for them.  Dealing with lights is part of what his company did long before they thought of buying the Tenney property for reasons that had nothing to do with bringing back to life an almost defunct ski area.

From the NE Ski Industry article in 2015:

Q: After Wang Laboratories, you went to Spike Technologies.
It was a small startup of three guys. With my partner at the time Scott Pratt, we met with these guys and we realized that they had a great technology and needed some help with the systems stuff, and we kind of became part of their organization, and we grew that to be quite big. It was a hardware antenna manufacturing company for the wireless industry. I saw an opportunity to split off and start a service company called Third Rail. That company merged and became a publically traded company, up until 9-11.
After 9-11, we lost our major investors because they were 99% foreign, which gave us the opportunity to take the company back with all of its assets and turn it into a development company.  
We sold it to Datapath. Datapath saw the value of what we were doing. We brought it back to an R&D company and we focused on energy and wireless communications systems and jammers. Datapath saw that there was a huge need for wireless terrestrial communications for robotic platforms and acquired us for that technology and those rights. We stayed there for two or three years, and they gave us an opportunity to buy back the company again, which we did. That's when SecureAxxess was born.

Q: What is SecureAxxess Solutions?
We're working with all advanced technologies. Lighting technology, energy technologies, wireless technology, different types of material processing technologies. A lot stuff is what we learned from the aerospace industry over the years, and we're finding a different home for it, which is pretty neat because the ski industry has a huge need for some advanced technologies. It's a great industry and there's great stuff, but it could be greater.

http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=333

Edited by MarzNC

4 hours ago, thesnowway said:

Despite obvious passion for the ski project, the owner has dubious development plans for Tenney, the ski area looks like it is the loss leader attraction.

I agree that the fact that Tenney will be open for skiing and tubing is not how the current owners plan to make money.  The passion is for the community that clearly would support snowsports.  The locals don't need upgraded lifts to be happy.  The good news is that the owners bought the property with ideas in mind for how to make money . . . without skiing.  They have a longer term view than most companies.  As I remember, something on the order of 4-5 years for initial phase.

Have you looked at any of the Facebook videos?  Nothing like anything I've ever seen about operational details for a ski area.

I think snake oil salesmen deceive with intent. The guy seems to have genuine passion for getting the ski area operating. I have a friend that is all over what they are doing and has talked to some of the management folks and is pulling hard for them. But they clearly are not intending to run the area at a loss without development. I wouldn't put him into the snake oil category but the development comes first and the ski area comes second, even if that is not how it is being presented.

Edited by thesnowway

6 hours ago, thesnowway said:

I think snake oil salesmen deceive with intent. The guy seems to have genuine passion for getting the ski area operating. I have a friend that is all over what they are doing and has talked to some of the management folks and is pulling hard for them. But they clearly are not intending to run the area at a loss without development. I wouldn't put him into the snake oil category but the development comes first and the ski area comes second, even if that is not how it is being presented.

Agree that development is why the land was purchased.  Mike made that perfectly clear when I talked to him the first time I visited in Oct 2016.  There is a lot of land at the lower elevations along the main road that is not visible from the lifts.  The map is perhaps 5 x 8 feet and was leaning against a wall in the lodge this winter.  It's a model, not a 2D map.  Not exactly a secret.

5ac5928c3866e_TenneycontourmapOct2016-1.thumb.jpg.a2bac3320e9eebff76807667228b4e0b.jpg

5ac593462e7f4_TenneycontourmapMar2018-1.thumb.jpg.c1920f65398dd561c6e5c995e31ab975.jpg

On 3/27/2018 at 9:52 AM, xwhaler said:

They should join the Freedom Pass---seems like the perfect sort of mtn they would target

On Facebook, it sounded like Tenney is ready to discuss joining the Freedom Pass or set up any other cooperative agreements.  Didn't make sense to talk about the possibility before it was clear that they would be fully operational for 2018-19.  The days they were open in the last month were essentially bonus days for locals.  Especially after the hard rain that washed out a lot of terrain, which required major repairs.

8 hours ago, MarzNC said:

On Facebook, it sounded like Tenney is ready to discuss joining the Freedom Pass or set up any other cooperative agreements.  Didn't make sense to talk about the possibility before it was clear that they would be fully operational for 2018-19.  The days they were open in the last month were essentially bonus days for locals.  Especially after the hard rain that washed out a lot of terrain, which required major repairs.

At $229 I would have potentially considered buying it if I knew for sure it came w/ Freedom pass access just to add some variety to my Ragged pass.